Should christians be banned from a science forum?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Medicine*Woman, Mar 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

M*W: It is never-ending circular reasoning. We get nowhere. We don't learn anything new. It is a total waste of time trying to elicit communication from them. Why is that... since they claim to have all the answers that we don't have? It's getting boring. It's getting old and tiring. Either make them talk with some level of intelligence or ban them because they cannot communicate on this level. There's an entire universe out there that we could be discussing. The silly one-liner garbage is of no use to anyone... not even to their own peers. That's my opinion. Hate me or love me... I don't care.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

Several objects:

1. This isn't a science forum. The science areas are almost an after thought, compared to the discussions in the humanities areas.

2. Not all Christians are psychotic or anti-science. To bar all Christians would also to be bar Isaac Newton, who was even pretty weird in his Christian beliefs.

3. Christians are, at worse, on par with the conspiracy folks, the anti-Americans, and the rabid Communists here. If we are to ban all loons, we'd have to throw out almost everyone here.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Let's get honest here, you are really only talking about one particular Christian, and it's not the Christianity itself that's so annoying.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. IceAgeCivilizations Banned Banned

Because I'm about the only one who propones a plain reading of all of the Bible.

8. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

M*W: I and most of the atheists here have pored over the entire bible, probably more so than you, so your point would be?

9. IceAgeCivilizations Banned Banned

You missed the point Med Woman.

10. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

That's not why you are so annoying, though. It's because you never really consider anything anyone has to say. Your faith must be really weak if you have to protect it like that.

11. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

M*W: Duh! That's why I asked!

12. Nutter Shake it loose, baby! Registered Senior Member

M*W: Thou dost err in the use of the first person plural. Use the first person singular.

M*W: Thou hast been supplied with answers repeatedly. Perhaps thou shouldst take thy own advice.

M*W: So be bored. Be old. Be tired. Thou dost bring this upon thyself.

M*W: Thou, oh Medicine(Woman), art nonetheless semingly obsessed with the topic. Thou art free to examine threads concerning other topics. However, comma, thou dost repeatedly return to "Christianity"-related threads.

Be brave, oh Medicine(Woman)! Take the plunge! See if thou canst take thy mind off of Christianity for even one day.

Remember: there is an entire universe out there that thou couldst be "discussing."

M*W: Thou hast displayed considerable fortitude and courage, Madame.

13. RoyLennigan Registered Senior Member

Science is a human endeavor. Christians are human. Therefore christians should not be banned from science.

Rather, they should be shown that science is a society of compromise and research. If they are to argue a point, they must also compromise at times and research on their own. This is to be expected from any person interacting with science, bar none.

14. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Ignoring an issue does not eliminate it. Education may be slow, but that is no reason to give up on it.

15. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

All I ask is that people:
    (a) stop trolling;
    (b) understand logical fallacies - refrain as far as possible from using them - and accept the flaw in their logic when a valid one is pointed out to them;
    (c) understand that an argument is a Claim + Evidence. Therefore people need to provide evidence to support their statements.

16. SetiAlpha6 Come Let Us Reason Together Valued Senior Member

M*W, if Christians had been banned a few years ago, like you are suggesting, then you would not even be here now. And the fact that you have changed means that it is possible for them to change as well. Many of them are very smart people, but this world is a very confusing place for everyone, including you!

You already know all of this!

17. ggazoo Registered Senior Member

I could never comprehend why it's perceived as "Science VS Religion." Why must they be at odds? Personally, I just think that science is simply too young to understand.

Ah, and there's the problem. Atheists and agnostics ask for evidence, when a relationship with God is a spiritual one. What kind of evidence do you require for spiritual existence? :shrug:

Last edited: Apr 2, 2007
  18. §outh§tar is feeling caustic Registered Senior Member

That is a senseless argument. Appeal to authority?

Given Newton's mannerisms, don't you agree he would get himself banned just for being obnoxious (which is what MW's point is)?

19. SetiAlpha6 Come Let Us Reason Together Valued Senior Member

Should you have been banned §outh§tar?

20. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

M*W: Your point is well-taken. While I don't really want them to be banned just because they are christians, my motivation to start such a thread was to be as obnoxious as some of them are. You've probably noticed that I'm not a middle-of-the-road kind of person. I can play in my yard or we can play in your yard, but I won't be sitting on the fence.

21. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

M*W: It's good to see you back!

22. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

§outh§tar:

An appeal to authority? However am I appealing to an authority by making mention of the fact that Issac Newton would have been banned if this were the case? It shows the point that not only Christians can be scientists, sometimes they can be some of the greatest ever. To do so would be a disservice to the sham-notion that this is a science forum.

Anyway, if we banned Issac Newton, no matter how odd he was, we'd be a laughing stock of the science world. Seriously. Issac Newton could shit on our doorstep and we ought to accept it.

23. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

M*W: Saw a TV-docu on Newton. He was brilliant, no doubt, but also had a dire passion for his science. It was his passion that singled him out as a genius. Without passion, we are mere robots of the fleshy kind. Maybe it was his passion that drove him crazy... not that he was technically a lunatic... but he had an insane passion for science and math. His fanatical pursuit of christianity was simply part of that passion.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.