Moses never "wrote about" or prophesied about Jesus

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by NDS, Mar 26, 2007.

1. NDS NDS Registered Senior Member

"If you believed Moses, you would believe me, for he wrote about me. But since you do not believe what he wrote, how are you going to believe what I say?"

- Jesus

According to the Bible, Jesus claimed that Moses "wrote about him."
    Moses supposedly wrote Genesis through Deuteronomy.

There are 5,845 verses in Genesis through Deuteronomy.

A mere 4 out of those 5,845 verses is alleged by many Christians to be prophesies of Moses about the coming of Jesus.

I argue that not even these 4 verses is about Jesus.

Here they are:

1. Genesis 3:15 (I've included 14 for context)
    14"Cursed are you above all the livestock
    and all the wild animals!
    You will crawl on your belly
    and you will eat dust
    all the days of your life.

15 And I will put enmity
    between you and the woman,
    and between your offspring and hers;
    he will crush your head,
    and you will strike his heel.

Analysis
    In no way is verse 15 referring to Jesus. Nor is God talking to Satan. He is talking to the snake, the animal. He is punishing the snake. The snake apparently used to walk with feet, but now its punishment is that it will have to crawl on its belly with no feet to walk on. Mankind will find the snake a disgusting and "not cute" creature for the rest of its existence, and mankind will now be able to easily step on and crush the head of the snake since it can't walk and is low to ground now, on its belly. The snake will be able to attack man's heals for the same reason.

Interpretation from the highly respected Christian Biblical Scholar, Mathew Henry:

He is to be for ever looked upon as a venomous noxious creature, and a proper object of hatred and detestation: I will put enmity between thee and the woman. The inferior creatures being made for man, it was a curse upon any of them to be turned against man and man against them; and this is part of the serpent's curse. The serpent is hurtful to man, and often bruises his heel, because it can reach no higher; nay, notice is taken of his biting the horses' heels, Gen 49:17. But man is victorious over the serpent, and bruises his head, that is, gives him a mortal wound, aiming to destroy the whole generation of vipers. It is the effect of this curse upon the serpent that, though that creature is subtle and very dangerous, yet it prevails not (as it would if God gave it commission) to the destruction of mankind.

2. Genesis 49:10
    8 "Judah, your brothers will praise you;
    your hand will be on the neck of your enemies;
    your father's sons will bow down to you.
    9 You are a lion's cub, O Judah;
    you return from the prey, my son.
    Like a lion he crouches and lies down,
    like a lioness--who dares to rouse him?
    10 The scepter will not depart from Judah,
    nor the ruler's staff from between his feet,
    until he comes to whom it belongs
    and the obedience of the nations is

Analysis
    Verse 10 is in no way referring to Jesus. This one is pretty self evident.

Numbers 24:17
    17 "I see him, but not now;
    I behold him, but not near.
    A star will come out of Jacob;
    a scepter will rise out of Israel.
    He will crush the foreheads of Moab,
    the skulls of all the sons of Sheth.

Analysis
    "Although the writer -or editor- of the book of Numbers seems to have had king Josiah in mind when he composed these lines, from the second century onward, this text was interpreted as a prediction of the coming of the Messiah."

http://www.livius.org/men-mh/messiah/messiah_11.html

4. Deuteronomy 18:15
    15 The LORD your God will raise up for you a prophet like me from among your own brothers. You must listen to him. 16 For this is what you asked of the LORD your God at Horeb on the day of the assembly when you said, "Let us not hear the voice of the LORD our God nor see this great fire anymore, or we will die."

17 The LORD said to me: "What they say is good. 18 I will raise up for them a prophet like you from among their brothers; I will put my words in his mouth, and he will tell them everything I command him. 19 If anyone does not listen to my words that the prophet speaks in my name, I myself will call him to account. 20 But a prophet who presumes to speak in my name anything I have not commanded him to say, or a prophet who speaks in the name of other gods, must be put to death."

Analysis
    Clearly this couldn't be referring to Jesus since Jesus was not a "prophet," he was the Son of God.

Note how in these 4 weak verses I have presented there is no mention of the terms "savior," "saviour," "Messiah," "Redeemer," "sacrificial lamb," "Son of God," "My son," etc. etc. etc.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. IceAgeCivilizations Banned Banned

He obviously was writing about the coming Messiah, but even if he wasn't, so what?

The prophets speak extensively about the details of the Jesus' incarnation, but once again, he could have only be talking about the Messiah, otherwise, who else would he be talking about?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. draqon Banned Banned

how can anyone trust Bible anymore? it is clearly not what it used to be before.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. NDS NDS Registered Senior Member

A plethora of other made up people.

8. IceAgeCivilizations Banned Banned

9. NDS NDS Registered Senior Member

I don't know. You're creative. You're good at making things up. What do you think?

10. IceAgeCivilizations Banned Banned

The Messiah, by far the best guess, don't you think?

11. draqon Banned Banned

it must be some sort of relation to events, relative events. Just like the world was created in 7 days...well its some sort of relation.

12. NDS NDS Registered Senior Member

So God called his son a "prophet?" Interesting.

13. IceAgeCivilizations Banned Banned

He was that, and more.

And draqon, it was six days, not seven.

14. Satyr Banned Banned

It's unfortunate when imbeciles find God...suddenly....during some period of crisis.
    Unfortunate because then they start beleiving they are worth somehting to someone.
    Namely the Big ONE!

How else can they escape the miseries of their own nature and the cruelties of fate?