Women's Intuition? Can science explain this?

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by jessiej920, Mar 23, 2007.

1. jessiej920 Shake them dice and roll 'em Valued Senior Member

My mother has been pregnant three times in her life. The first time she got pregnant, my mother told my father, "okay, I am ready, let's try for a child". The next morning she woke up and told my father, "I'm pregnant!". Of course he laughed and didn't believe her and said, "We've only tried once, how can you possibly know you're pregnant?" and my mother said, "I just know I am." She walked over to her friend's house and told her, "Guess what! I'm pregnant!" Her friend laughed after my mother said she had only tried last night. Low and behold, she went to the doctor and they told her "officially" that she was pregnant. This was my brother.

After a few weeks into the pregnancy she told her best friend "Something is wrong with my baby." Her friend asked how she knew and my mother said that she just knew. She began to have nightmares of giving birth to monsters or aliens like E.T. She absolutely knew that something was wrong with this child. She went to the doctor and asked them to do some tests because she was worried. Strangely, they discovered that one of the chromosomes had an extra leg or something weird like that. They told my mother that this was really rare and that she was going to give birth to a "mutant". My mother was terrified, but continued the pregnancy. They tested my mother and father for genetic defects and niether of them carried anything. When my mother gave birth to my brother, he was deformed and dieing. He looked like E.T. Normal sized head, but very long neck and small mishapen body. He died shortly after birth.

After a period of mourning, my mother and father were ready for another child. Once again, they tried, and after the first night my mother said, "I'm pregnant." Again my father didn't believe her and her friends laughed. My mother went to the doctor and they did a blood test and told her it was negative. Still my mother insisted that she was pregnant. She kept telling her friends, "The doctors say I'm not, but I know I am." Her friends dragged her in again for another blood test and the doctor came back with a positive result. This was me. My mother's friends asked her if she was worried because of what happened with the first child and my mother told them, "Nope. Not at all. There is nothing wrong with this child."

One night my mother woke up feeling awful and she said to herself, "I have just got to have this baby." Suddenly she started having contractions. After about an hour she told my father, "take me to the hospital or I am going to have this baby on the couch". They called the hospital and the doctors laughed when she said she had only been having contractions for an hour. She told my father to take her to the hospital anyway. An hour and a half later she gave birth to me. I was healthy and strong.

My parents decided to try one last time for another child. After the first night, my mother once again, told my father that she was pregant. Again, she was correct. Yet again, a few weeks into the pregnancy she told her friend, "There is something wrong with my baby." No one believed her. The doctors did tests and they told her her baby was healthy and developing normally. Still, my mother knew something was not right. 5 months into the pregnancy, my sister, healthy and normal, gave a great big kick and went still. My mother knew that the baby had just died. The next morning she woke up and her stomache had shrunk in size. She went to the doctor and they told her, her baby was dead and induced labor. My mother had to give birth to my dead sister. They never figured out why she had died.

I know this is a long story, but I just want to know, what could be the scientific explanations for my mother's incredible intuition? She had to be at least so in-tune with her body that she knew every time she was pregnant and when the baby was sick, even when she was going to have birth. How would a scientist explain this and it what terms? Anyone who has any opinions or ideas about this, please feel free. This has always been a great curiosity to me and if anyone has answers that would be awesome. Thanks!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Grantywanty Registered Senior Member

yes, she was in tune with her body.
    Science may one day figure out the mechanism, but we can't wait around for science to prove valid perceptive abilities that we have and often need now.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

There are people with premonition abilities.

But the pregnancy part can be explained that your parents had sex more times between her saying "I am pregnant" and the actual test. But there is nothing strange about women being aware of their bodies...

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Bells Staff Member

Errmm you say she was 5 months pregnant and the baby died inutero and her stomach shrunk overnight? You do realise that when a baby dies inutero, the stomach does not shrink overnight.

Had her membranes ruptured as well during the night?

8. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

That is...frightening.

Especially the deformed brother.

9. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

Hmm. There are lots of stories like this but they are notoriously hard to quantify. There are probably a lot of things we don't know about the way our bodies work. Perhaps one day Medicine will find a way to understand these things. I don't doubt that such things exist, but I would never, say, trust my leg to tell me its broken

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

10. jessiej920 Shake them dice and roll 'em Valued Senior Member

Very true. I am pretty sure though, that they were using birth control every time. My mom told me that if they weren't trying for a child they always used male and female protection. So I don't know. She knew she was pregnant with me even when the doctors told her it was negative. Okay, this is kind of off subject and might sound really stupid, but those "premonition" abilities kind of run in the family. It skips a generation. I know that sounds so cliche' but it's true.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. jessiej920 Shake them dice and roll 'em Valued Senior Member

I am not sure. I just know what my mother has told me. She said she woke up the next morning, looked in the mirror, and told my father that had shrunk in size. Not completely, just that she noticed she was smaller. It might have just been her own perception of things. She was afraid and knew her baby was dead, so she might have just thought she looked smaller.

12. jessiej920 Shake them dice and roll 'em Valued Senior Member

Yes, it was very frightening for my mother. The doctors actually said to her, "sorry, but you're going to have a "mutant" child. We don't know what is wrong with it, but it could be born with extra heads, no eyes, extra limbs, no limbs etc..." all sorts of terrible stuff they told her. They were not very sympathetic to her, they were actually curious to see what she was going to give birth too. Like my mom was some sort of science project. Disgusting.

13. WraithGod Registered Senior Member

I know girls who can predict their periods to the day. They know it's coming before it's started even without cramps and regular PMS symptoms.

If it's a female-only thing, perhaps the answer is to be found on the X chromosome, or has something to do with female hormone detection. Could be that some are more sensitive to their hormonal changes than others.