Religion made up for power ...

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by UnderOath, Mar 21, 2007.

1. UnderOath Registered Senior Member

So I'm constantly fighting amongst myself; my head tells me that people X amount of years ago people said "hey peoples lives suck, if we tell them that if they do what we tell them to, theyll go to a "better place" and if they dont then they're subject to hell."

I dont think a lot of people could read or had any idea about the world around them. The people who could read and write ... to make a long story short convinced everyone to belive what they were telling them.

once "religion" was intact the chuch made massive amounts of money, thus gaining land and power.

land and power = wealth

that =

millions of followers doing as their told becasue they just wanted a better life when they died.

this isnt all facts that i know for sure, but just my gut feeling on the subject.

i want to go to a "better place" too but common sense tells me that lifes over once our last breath is taken.

im not that smart, i just try to understand as many things as i can, if anything i have said is invaild please tell me.

any discussion on this subject would be great and if this was already a thread im sorry.

have a nice day peeps

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I don't think it was as deliberate as that. The uneducated had just as much a part to play at creating the religion as the ones that later wrote it down, it evolved gradually. Eventually, power and orthodoxy were inseparable.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. UnderOath Registered Senior Member

but doesnt it make too much sense for people that were smart enough to do what they might have did.

its so simple to think about now, i mean it blows my mind.

people have shitty lives...
    a promise at an eternal life in a better place sounds pretty good when youre going to the bathroom outside with roids. your children are sick and dying. average life wasnt long and so on and so forth.

once in power millions were persecuted, millions belived and slowly the church took out any non belivers

"391: The Theodosian decrees outlaw most Pagan rituals still practiced in Rome, thereby encouraging much of the population to convert to Christianity."

a lot of people were crucified for their beliefs.

i dont know.. still rambling, it just all adds up to me

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. VitalOne Banned Banned

Nah, I don't agree with you...I think people like Jesus, Buddha, Krishna, etc...were actually preaching the truth, the essential truth, the absolute truth, the ultimate truth, the true nature of reality....

They aren't really concerned with gaining power at all, they all seem free from all cares not desiring personal gain....

8. SnakeLord snakeystew.com Valued Senior Member

If jesus was god it would stand to reason that he would have no care for gaining power - he'd be the most powerful entity in the universe lol.

With human religious people it's all about personal gain, (i.e gaining access to a heavenly realm). If there was no heaven or hell, you wouldn't give two shits about servitude.

9. lightgigantic Banned Banned

its not clear what you are cintending - if you think it is unlawful to convince anyone of anything, why are you trying to convince us of something?
    actually any field of knowledge you care to mention has it's 'institution' behind it. I think you would be hard pressed to find any field of knowledge that doesn't have or hasn't had problems with institution - hence you find that all fields of knowledge constantly undergo revivals or reformations.
    sounds remarkably similar to the ideology of MTV
    maybe you could explain a bit more about this 'common sense'

im not that smart, i just try to understand as many things as i can, if anything i have said is invaild please tell me.