Why does God use/need angels?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by nds1, Mar 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nds1 Registered Senior Member

In the bible, God orders "angels" to do many things which he could probably easily do himself. Whether it be killing masses of people, guiding people, bailing people out of prison, etc., God seems to tell angels to do these things instead of him doing it himself.

Why doesn't God just do these things himself? I'm sure he's capable. He's done it before in the Bible.

One possibility could be that God wants the angels to actually do something instead of just sitting around watching the show. He wants to give the angels a purpose for living and existing. Of course, after He returns then these duties of interceding with humans will become obsolete and all angels will be unemployed.

Some random examples of God using angels to do things which he has done in the bible before and could do himself

God ordering an angel to kill large masses of people

2 Sam 24:15-17
    So the LORD sent a plague upon Israel from the morning till the appointed time. From Dan to Beersheba seventy thousand men of the people died. 16 And when the angel stretched out His hand over Jerusalem to destroy it, the LORD relented from the destruction, and said to the angel who was destroying the people, "It is enough; now restrain your hand." And the angel of the LORD was by the threshing floor of Araunah the Jebusite. Then David spoke to the LORD when he saw the angel who was striking the people, and said, "Surely I have sinned, and I have done wickedly; but these sheep, what have they done? Let Your hand, I pray, be against me and against my father's house."

God ordering an angel to guide people

Ex 23:20-23
    20 "Behold, I send an Angel before you to keep you in the way and to bring you into the place which I have prepared. 21 Beware of Him and obey His voice; do not provoke Him, for He will not pardon your transgressions; for My name is in Him. 22 But if you indeed obey His voice and do all that I speak, then I will be an enemy to your enemies and an adversary to your adversaries. 23 For My Angel will go before you and bring you in to the Amorites and the Hittites and the Perizzites and the Canaanites and the Hivites and the Jebusites; and I will cut them off.
    NKJV

God ordering the angel to do something

1 Chron 21:27
    27 Then the LORD commanded the angel, and he returned his sword to its sheath.
    NKJV

God ordering angel to get apostles out of prison

Acts 5:17-19
    17 Then the high priest rose up, and all those who were with him (which is the sect of the Sadducees), and they were filled with indignation, 18 and laid their hands on the apostles and put them in the common prison. 19 But at night an angel of the Lord opened the prison doors and brought them out
    NKJV

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Duh!
    If you had the ability to simply point and tell an Angel, "Destroy them", while sitting back on your ass eating Sushi and Bon-Bons, wouldn't you?
    Hell, I'd throw out my TV remote and summon an Angel every time I wanted the channel changed - just because I could.

"Hey, Michael, untie my shoe, then tie it again."
    "Lucifer! My balls itch. Get over here."

I won't even talk about personal hygeine practices... yes I will. You can be damned sure I'm not wiping my own ass. "I'm done... Where the hell is Azrael with the paper?"

Come one...
    Say you wouldn't.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. nds1 Registered Senior Member

LOL. :roflmao:

Funny you say that, because many churches have this same type of system in place. The priest is God and the members are the angels. The priest says: "Give me your money," and lo and behold the people do it!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Sounds like taxation to me.

8. nds1 Registered Senior Member

Yeah, it's the same thing as taxation. Except taxes are supposed to come back to the people in the form of highways, welfare, medical care, etc. Priests simply pocket the money.

9. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Even if they don't it is their sole discretion what to do with the money.
    There aren't many functional Monarchies left in the world for a reason.

10. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

M*W: That's like the sun commanding the stars to do human feats. Ain't gonna happen.

11. Adstar Valued Senior Member

The same question could be asked as to why God uses Christians to spread the message of the Gospel when He could do it Himself.

Now of course God could do it all Himself. But it is pleasing to God to allow angels or His human followers to have the honour of doing things for Him.

LOL What do we know of the activities of angels? What they do and what happens in the realms of heaven? It is very universe centric of you to believe that the angels and Gods central reason for being is centred on the universe. The without us they would have nothing to do.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

12. NDS NDS Registered Senior Member

True. And also why God uses Muslims to spread Islam. And why God uses Hindus to spread Hinduism.

Why do you think Lucifer rebelled? He got sick of sitting around doing nothing and was just like: "Okay that's enough. Common guys let's start our own world." That's how this whole thing got started.

13. skywalker 3 @ T M 3 Registered Senior Member

Well he doesn't want to do everything by himself. So, why not use Angels?

14. lightgigantic Banned Banned

in short - what is the problem with god having servants?

15. ashura the Old Right Registered Senior Member

I dunno, seems kind of wasteful and lazy doesn't it? Doing something you could easily do yourself?

16. Adstar Valued Senior Member

God does not use muslims to spread islam, God allows satan to use muslims and get them to spread islam. same with hindus.

Well the first one satan deceived was himself. Why? I doubt it was from boredom.

17. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Lucifer was not Satan, Lucifer was an arrogant human king (according to the Bible).

18. Adstar Valued Senior Member

If you are going to have a great victory over an opponent, then it is pleasing for you to allow your followers to play a part (however insignificant) in that victory.

19. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Are you all ready to start your new Crusade?

20. IceAgeCivilizations Banned Banned

It's not a battle of flesh and blood.

21. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

1.) I'm not so sure Adstar agrees with you.
    2.) Even if you aren't planning on it, keep telling people they are Satan's tools, and see what happens.

22. Adstar Valued Senior Member

No, it is not a battle with carnal weapons that false religions play their part in.

It is a war of the spirit that has raged in the battlefields of the minds of men for a long time. A battle not fought with carnal weapons but with the Word of God.

II Corinthians 10:3,4
    "For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war according to the flesh. For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal but mighty in God for pulling down strongholds."

23. IceAgeCivilizations Banned Banned

Of course, Jesus told the Pharisees that their father was Satan, and that obviously didn't make Him real popular with them, but it's a spiritual battle which true Christians engage in, not flesh and blood.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.