GMO's and ethics

Discussion in 'Biology & Genetics' started by Chatha, Mar 19, 2007.

?

What do you think about your food?

1. I only eat organic

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. I have no problem but I am sueing if I develop complications

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I am ambivalent.

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. I am choosy when I go food shopping. But you can never be too careful

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. I may be a member of National Rights Against Processed and Artificial Food

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Chatha big brown was screwed up Registered Senior Member

Genetically modified food is a staple in some developed countries except from the E.U. Meat producers in the United States distribute modified and enhanced meat to Americans and South Americans, while exporting the real stuff to Europeans. Apparently Europe has a higher standard when it comes to food and drug. What is your take on GMO's? Before you vote, take refuge on the fact that very little food left in the world has not be modified by hybridization or scientific enhancement. These procedures aren't even new; field staples like potatoes, tomatoes, and rice have been altered experimentally since the middle ages. There is very little organic food left in the world. The tomato we eat today looks well adjusted to moisture because it has been modified with Fish gene, which gives it a longer lasting shelf life. Scientists figured that costumers are after the appearance, not the taste of the tomato. If costumers were drawn to the natural taste of tomatoes, scientists will adjust the tomato's taste as well. In startling open statement, some scientists say it’s the consumer’s plight they are after. What they won't tell you is that many poultry die annually due to hormone intoxication. The bad news is that Americans aren't complaining, both North and South America. Americans don't even produce real cheese anymore; their position on GMO's is not entirely surprising. The reason why I ask this question is because my chemistry teacher brought it up in class. He wanted to know where the ethics line should be drawn, and the denaturing barrier regressed. So, where should there be a line drawn?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. RoyLennigan Registered Senior Member

I try to only eat organically grown foods, including and especially, meat. Its what our bodies have grown accustomed to over the last few thousand years, so I think it would be easiest to digest with minimum detrimental effects. Also, many of the genetic changes they do on crops are destroying normal, organic crops. Such as a new kind of corn that requires a certain fertilizer. When its pollen combines with normal corn, it completely dominates the normal corn's genes so that all corn henceforth will require that certain kind of fertilizer.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Plazma Inferno! Ding Ding Ding Ding Administrator

Well, Europe is not immune anymore. There are more and more fields planted with both legally and ilegally GMO crop.

Some will say that gene manipulation is just 'playing God' or interfering with nature, and other that it is nothing more than logical evolutional process.

Personally, I'm against this kind of food manipulation or 'food control'. I'm led by practical fact that there's nothing human in this practice.
    Gene manipulation in food production is just based on concern of big corporations how to earn more money from materially poor nations by killing their local economies.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. leopold Valued Senior Member

the "real" stuff? are giants alien? do they come from outside the solar system?
    i have no problem with growing larger slabs of meat, afterall isn't giganticism a hormonal situation?

the problem i have is when they introduce genes from species that aren't eaten.

8. iceaura Valued Senior Member

There's a huge difference between using genetic manipulation techniques to speed up what could be done by ordinary breeding, and using them to add genetic material that could not be added in any other way.

In the second case, there is no history of effects - we have no real control over what the expression of that genetic material in such a brand new context will turn out to be, and no history of such expression to inform our predictions.

Releasing such modified genomes into the wide world is gambling with the unknown in a big way. Adulterating our food supply and agricultural systems with them is gambling with the unknown in an immediately dangerous way.

9. Idle Mind What the hell, man? Valued Senior Member

Could you explain this a little further?