Temporary banning of Lord Hillyer and Prince_James

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by James R, Mar 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Some of you may have noticed that Lord Hillyer and Prince_James have both been banned for 3 days. Here is some information, which I hope will also act as a warning against similar behaviour by other sciforums members in future.

How the ban occurred:

Lord Hillyer started a thread seeking to form a "club" of white supremacists on sciforums. Membership of this "club" was explicitly to be restricted to members of sciforums identifying themselves as "white".

Prince_James and a few of the other usual suspects immediately jumped on the band wagon to form this racist posse with Hillyer.

The thread was almost immediately moved to the Cesspool by an adminstrator. Prince_James then started a new thread complaining about this move and demanding that the original thread be moved out of the Cesspool.

This was when I happened to log into the forum. I immediately deleted both threads. I hoped that this would be a signal that these threads were objectionable and would not be tolerated on sciforums. This message went unheeded, as Prince_James immediately started another thread to complain about the deletions. I deleted that thread as well. Hillyer then started a new thread to start the same "club" under a different name.

At this point, I banned both of them. Since this is a first offence, the ban period is the usual 3 days.

sciforums policy on separatism

Here is the take-away message of this thread:

sciforums administrators and moderators are very tolerant of discussions of controversial issues, including the matter of race. Discussions of race and various associated matters have been quite common - some would say popular - among certain members of sciforums in recent times, and vigorous debates have been had. In general, such discussions have not been moderated.

The present instance is a completely different scenario. Here, we have two members of sciforums essentially seeking to split the sciforums community into "us" and "them" groups, divided along racist lines.

Such an action is contrary to the spirit of sciforums and will not be tolerated in any form. In this instance, the attempt to incite hatred among members was along lines of race, but we would equally look down upon any similar attempt along the lines of gender, religious belief, nationality and so on.

sciforums is a forum for intelligent discussion. As such, it promotes debate among members in an environment of mutual respect for diversity and the understanding that people do not always agree.

sciforums is not an enclave for separatists who are unwilling to engage with their fellow human beings. It will never be that.

Anybody who prefers such divisions should leave now and find an alternative forum which will suit them better. Many such forums exist.

But what about "free speech"?

Racists, sexists, religious bigots and the like can practice their free speech on the other available internet forums. Good luck to you.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Genji Registered Senior Member

Wow. All that happened right under my nose and I didn't know it. None should complain. A 3 day ban? That's a swat with a tissue. For what it's worth I think you did the right thing, though I think they should be permanently banned.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Athelwulf Rest in peace Kurt... Registered Senior Member

Didn't Prince_James once complain about clubs for minority races which didn't like to host whites, whining about how whites are treated so badly? And now he's trying to get involved with a whites-only, white-supremacist club?

Such is the idiocy and myopia of racists.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. The Devil Inside Banned Banned

people that whine about "free speech" on privately funded sites always cracked me up.

8. Bells Staff Member

No.

"Such is the idiocy and myopia of racists" on the internet.

I have to wonder at just how they would have ensured their members would have been white only.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Imagine the paranoia. If a 'member' started sounding coloured.. You could just imagine the PM's...

'Pssst... I think we have been infiltrated'...​

9. Athelwulf Rest in peace Kurt... Registered Senior Member

"On the Internet" is optional.

10. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

This all stemmed from the "Black Policemans Association" thread. They repeatedly implied that white people could not join (they summised that from the title of the association) although its not clear if whites are banned from joining - I mean the UK BPA was founded by the then Commissioner of the Metropolitan Police Sir Paul Condon - and he's white.

As far as I know there isn't a "Black Association of Sciformers" so why did they wanted to set up a white one?

11. leopold Valued Senior Member

yeah, i seen that thread. i'm glad i didn't post in it!

12. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

I immediately gave an infraction for that thread.

13. Ripley Valued Senior Member

I can't believe they were so foolish to think they would get away with it. Obviously they thought it was funny, then irked that James R was dissociating them from SciF. And we mustn't overlook the fine point that Pinch James has a (supposed) philosophical ambition where the practice of such reason is a disgrace—imagine philosophy under his tutelage! I agree with Genji; three days is a tap on the wrist. Segregate them.

14. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

I'm surprised at my friend Lord Hillyer. Looks like I'll have to update the Cuckoo List.

15. The Devil Inside Banned Banned

i want on the cuckoo list as well...what do i need to do to get myself included?

16. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Done, [ENC]TDI[/ENC]

17. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

Here are a few ideas:

1. Start an internet-based racial separatist movement.
    2. Deny the Holocaust, the existence of the AIDS virus or some other well-established fact.
    3. Be old and grouchy.
    4. Defend to the hilt America's sordid involvement in the Middle East.

Go for it!

18. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

Removed. He has to earn it.

19. The Devil Inside Banned Banned

hmmm....im gonna hit when you wankers arent expecting it.
    thanks sam!

redarmy11...you make me sad.

20. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

James, but would you have acted the same if that was a thread with 'black' instead of 'white'?

21. The Devil Inside Banned Banned

im guessing he would...james is fairly stable.

22. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

But why is that, my waffle-loving friend?

23. The Devil Inside Banned Banned

you removed me from the crazy page.

its fine...ill earn it. keep your eyes peeled.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.