Programs for Windows XP?

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Baron Max, Mar 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Okay, please remember that I'm computer illiterate! I turn it on and start pushing buttons and clicking window that pop up .....don't mean that I know what's going on inside the 'box'.

I've found a strategy-tactics game that looks really, really fun, but...........
    It says in the requirments "Windows XP". Will the damned thing run in Windows 98SE?

Baron Max

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Plazma Inferno! Ding Ding Ding Ding Administrator

It could run.

Which game exactly?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Oh, hot dog!!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

It's a strategy game used by the US Army ...it's called "F2FS" I think. You can find in on the US Army website ...army.mil/institution/organization or something like that.

If you'd check it out, I'd really, really appreciate it. One thing that strikes me about it is that this game was used long before XP was invented, so I was hoping that it was once a 98SE game, so.....?

Baron Max

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Plazma Inferno! Ding Ding Ding Ding Administrator

Unfortunately, I must dissapoint you.

It is Future Force Company Commander simulator (F2C2) ver. 1.1. which runs only in XP.
    Previous version 1.0 also won't run with Win 98. Only XP/2000

Actually, this simulator has pretty nasty minimum requirements.

· Processor: 2.2 GHz
    · Memory: 512 MB
    · Video: NVIDIA® GeForce™ 4 128 or DirectX® 9.0c-compliant 128 3D video card with hardware T&L and pixel shader support MB
    · Free disk space: 1.5 GB
    · DirectX 9.0c

But, if you're fan of tactical shooters, I will recommend you older games: Operation Flashpoint (pretty realistic combat simulation) or Tom Clancy's: Ghost Recon (still my favourite).

Or Full Spectrum Warrior, which is softcore simulator, but I don't like this game, because most of combat is automatic, you just have to move troops like in RTS games.

8. Kunax Sciforums:Reality not required Registered Senior Member

Operation Flashpoint was sweet back in the ol days but lagged a lot and was maybe to realistic to draw in a large player base

9. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Damn!

They're first-person shooters, not tactical games of strategy. I like to set up, say, battles - plan the whole thing out like a general, then sit back and watch the battles unfold to see how good I am at tactics/strategy.

Steel Beasts is one game that I've been looking at seriously, but it costs something like $150! It's not the money so much as not knowing the game well enough ....and I sure don't want to get stuck with another game that's a first-person shooter.

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate the advice.

Baron Max

10. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

If you are intrigued in strategy you could try acting as a commander in Allegiance. Check www.freeallegiance.org out.

The game is team based as you have no AI's controlling any of the spaceships, each is occupied by a human, however they need a person designated as Commander that watches via an map how the battle is occuring. The Commander has the duty of placing structures and of course organising the pilots to defend or attack systems. The Commander also makes the choices of which Tech tree to embark upon and who to give what ship to with the credits the team earns.

11. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Thanks, Stryder, but online playing is not what I had in mind. First, I don't think my computer is up to it, and second, I'm pretty sure that my time limits would be a problem.

I've search all over for a tactical/strategy game and I'm beginning to see that "Steel Beasts" just might be the one ....although I've never been one to toss out $150 just for a little bit of fun.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Just for your info, I was hooked for a while on ATC, an air traffic control game. It was really fun making sure that all the planes didn't collide, and that they all got to land in sequence. But once i got the hang of it, there was nothing else ...it was exactly the same thing, day in, day out. Perhaps that helps you see what I mean about tactics and strategy?

Thanks for the help,

Baron Max

12. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Well if you are into indepth simulations, theres potentially industryplayer. I tried to lend a hand some time back at taking it further graphically however it wouldn't of been possible to do what was planned with simply MySQL and VBasic. It is an online game again, but most are.

Other similar things you could check is for instance vse.marketwatch.com or other Stockmarket simulators.

If your looking at tanks the only simulators I can think of are old "Games" ones from back in the day, M1 Tank Platoon / II. Basically its where you take command of a platoon of tanks and have to take out a number of enemy.

Other "Simulators" you might find are if you look for specific battles, For instance "The Battle of Austerlitz" which has more than one simulator programmed by more than one avid re-enactment enthusiast.

I wouldn't be surprised if you could find Custer's Last Stand (Battle of the Little Big Horn) or Gettysburg.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.