Blondes Going Extinct?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Braynstorm, Mar 2, 2007.

1. Braynstorm Registered Member

I've been reading the book by Michael Crichton called "Next" . It is his newest book that I've heard of and he brought a relatively interesting topic. He talks about Blondes going extinct. Now in biology, we've been studying about genes and have learned if the male hair gene and female gene are both blonde, you get a blonde, yet if one of the genes is a different color, you get said color. Since blonde is a ressesive gene, there's always a chance it will eventually be pushed out of existence. Any thoughts on the topic?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

Welcome to SciForums!

Anyway, I do not know much about biology. But, how is it that I was born with blonde hair, had it up through age 3 or 4, and then my hair darked out to what it is today (brown)?

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Braynstorm Registered Member

Yeah, it's really wierd, same thing happened to me, and thanks for the welcome ^^

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Oxygen One Hissy Kitty Registered Senior Member

My brother-in-law did the same thing, plus his eye color changed. I've always been a brunette, but my eyes used to be deep brown, now they are grey-green. My husband was born a blonde (of mixed-hair parentage) and has stayed a blonde BUT his hair used to be straight. Now it's curly and very thick to one side. (If he doesn't cut it, his head starts looking like a loofah...)

8. Genji Registered Senior Member

Maybe it's a sign our brains are getting bigger.

9. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Keep reading. He debunks that myth about blondes going extinct later in the book.

That is a pretty good book, by the way.

10. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

11. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

Let's hope none of these hair colours go extinct.

12. Braynstorm Registered Member

O i know he debunks th theory already, it's just that if you think about it it is a possibility

13. Lord Hillyer Banned Banned

I will never go extinct, as long as my thoughts live on.

14. Lord Hillyer Banned Banned

By the way I bet Stormfront has an interesting dozen or so threads about this topic.

15. The Devil Inside Banned Banned

with brian foley leading the charge.

16. francois Schwat? Registered Senior Member

No. As long as people with genes for blond hair keep procreating blonds will not go extinct. Like you already mentioned the gene(s) for blond hair is recessive. We have already talked about recessive genes and blue eyes and how they are not going extinct. I can't find it. But no, they're not going extinct. Blonds are just more rare than non-blonds because they need blond hair genes for both loci.

17. draqon Banned Banned

brunettes are so much better looking. so its all for the better.

18. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Get them while you can!

19. Sandoz Girl Named Sandoz Registered Senior Member

Thank God, and hopefully girls won't have to dye their hair so much.

In all seriousness, it would be bad if they went extinct but I don't think so. They'll be rare and I think TRUE blondes are now about as rare as true redheads, which is fine. We just don't realize it because every other girl has got bleached hair.

20. Genji Registered Senior Member

That's why Jesus invented hair dye.

21. Genji Registered Senior Member

I'll second that!!

22. przyk squishy Valued Senior Member

No, it's just less likely to be visible. A person with a dominant/recessive gene pair is just as likely to pass on their dominant gene as their recessive gene.

23. przyk squishy Valued Senior Member

No, it's just less likely to be visible. A person with a dominant/recessive gene pair is just as likely to pass on their dominant gene as their recessive one.