man can induce and speed up evolution on mars

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by justagirl, Mar 22, 2002.

1. justagirl Registered Senior Member

We could easily make a space station on mars with our knowldege now. The recent discovery of hydrogen means we could induce evolution even if we have to import more water and simple life for our manmade body of water. We can even induce more sunlight for our forced evolution on mars. We can take the lessons of our own planets evolution and introduce simple life and help it evolve. Of course it may evolve differently but we can be there to add more life as we know it to keep it going. Once plants started producing oxygen then an atomsphere would start evolving as well. They would induce "clouds" and rain and further help the evolution on mars. It will take years and I know that but a space station on mars would also mean we could study the universe from a new persepctive and we have every reason to think it will teach us alot about the universe and evolution. Most of this is outside of my knowledge but the reality is if the right minds start thinking it over it can happen unless Evolution is a lie.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. goofyfish Analog By Birth, Digital By Design Valued Senior Member

I know that I often come across as cynical with regards to humankind so let me do it again.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

As we cannot even work within the confines of our own planet, destroying plants and animals with apparent capriciousness, why would we feel qualified to try with a new planet? I think a full-fledged space station is an excellent idea. Allow for continued experimentation, perhaps involve enough people from across our globe to see the big picture, and perhaps start a trend of cooperation with each other and earth.

But terraform another planet? I don't think we've earned that yet, regardless of our technological means.

Peace.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. justagirl Registered Senior Member

oh mankind scares me too as basically we all are selfish and more worried about "ourself" than we are the world

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Tristan Leave your World Behind Valued Senior Member

Oh great! We can not even take care of our planet and now were screwing with another?! Who makes us King?

What if life already exists there? Who says we can destory that life to create our own.

We would be acting like mars was a giant Petri Dish. how can we justify our actions.

And no we can not go to mars anytime soon. Though many people want us to. The problems:

-Financial resources consumed in Defence spending and even if hey were not, we still would not have the money

-Technology. we need massive amounts of money jsut to develop the technology needed let alone send actual people or create a space station there.

-Polictics. In order to acheive men (or women) on mars, it would be a Human acheivement, not a U.S.. A global consortium would have to be made and resources to be pooled for a maned mission to mars to ever work.

Were not going to the moon, were going to mars. Farther away by a ten fold. More hostile conditions and More problems arise.

8. betavoltaic future-shock-rider Registered Senior Member

Mars is a very giant leap for Humankind

Too much of a leap for terra-forming just yet I think. You have to learn to crawl before you can walk. We have not even left the cradle yet, never mind crawling. The lunar missions way back in the 60's was more like standing up for the first time and reaching outside the cradle.

Now is a good time to learn to crawl, once we can climb out of the cradle without busting our butts.

I think the first manned mission to Mars is about 10 years off. It will likely be a crawl and not a walk either.

To be mature enough to actually transplant life there is more like 100 years off at the least. That is assuming that we don't find any indigenous life there already.

Private enterprise has to have a profit interest to go there and might want the government to pick up the tab. Some really efficient non rocket drives would make it practical. If we still have nothing but rocket drive by then it will just cost too much to attempt.

The big question is why go at all unless we can really afford it? What will it give us in return? What is the pay off? We went to the Moon with no real program for its development and wasted a huge amount of money doing it. Just to say we did it first. It was not profitable. Unless we are going to make some type of a profit I see no reason to do it at all.

Exploration at the expense of the tax payer just so we can have some vicarious thrill can be satisfied with simulations. That is why Sci-Fi is so popular. I say they should make it affordable before spending money on it and it should be able to provide a practical return on our investment or it is not worth doing.

Not that I don't want to explore space myself I just don't want to pay for some one else to go. Make it affordable and practical for everyone and they can go if they have the resources to do it.

IMHO

9. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

While I would love to see a colony on Mars at present we could not pull it off. Travel times are not really in a reasonable range of time. Any emergencies would have to be dealt with there as there is no ambulance that is going to make it with in the time needed. So that means a medical facility on the spot. Power generation is another sore spot. Unless geothermal can be used, we are faced with getting a nuclear powerplant there or using solar which has both less sun light to work with than here and with Martian dust storms they could be faced with a month or so without power. While fuel cells would answer the power problem once again the shipment costs are tremendous.

If water is not abundant getting it from comet and asteroid bodies at present is not really feasible for us. We do not have the experience to be moving such masses around. Any glitch is likely to be nonrecoverable.

The growing of plants for food and abundant O2 means that we will also need power for growing light.

It would be a heck of a lot cheaper if we can use local materials for building and construction. We know that there is plenty of iron on Mars but not if there is iron ore. We are not sure how much carbon is freely available for things like making steel. (which is also a power hungry process)

There is much to be done and much to be discovered, I think, before we are ready for a colony. I do not think at the present time we are ready to attemp terraforming. We just don't know enough of how to go about it. It will need massive amounts of material to pull this off and we still do not have down getting people there yet.

Nothing wrong with the dream though.

10. paulsamuel Registered Senior Member

reply to Mars thread

I think we are underestimating our abilities. Technologically, we are ready to send people to Mars. The trip would take about 5 years (this according to a principal investagator at NASA who I heard speak, can't remember his name). The cost would be great but not prohibitive. This same NASA investigator said that Bill Gates could afford to pay for 20 trips to Mars and back.

Re: terraforming, that's probably beyond us technologically, but what better place to start than Mars?

11. justagirl Registered Senior Member

Nasa has had plans to send man to Mars for sometime. Funding has gotten in the way as Nasa doesn't want to cut programs in other exploration . But Nasa continues to plan and says" we are going to mars" . (2009 appears to be their target date as we speak)

The Imagine Mars project, a relaunch of the successful Mars Millennium project, blasts off on Space Day - May 2, 2002. As we count down to the launch date, we invite you to get started by signing up to receive our email newsletter(send a blank email). You may also check out the Mars Millennium Project web site at http://mars2030.net for more information and ideas to give you a jump-start on this exciting endeavor.

See you on Mars!

Last edited: Mar 23, 2002
  12. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member

Does anyone mind if I have Mars? I'll call it Adamland or something. Populate it with bikini models. People will call me El Presidente...

13. justagirl Registered Senior Member

LOL well I don't know about "all women" but I would love to make love in a gravity free environment

14. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member

Hell yes. Zero-G or micro-G shagging. Makes the space-race worth it.

15. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

That's one of the benefits that I would like to experience also. No offense intended but with the right one.

16. kmguru Staff Member

Can we wait just a wee bit until we get more info from the probes we are sending? If we can find some underground water and caves, we can solve many problems....

17. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

I think that small of a wait will probably be be there without planning for it. Even if we were to say we will start tomarrow the endevour would take many years of planning, construction, and testing to do. Some, who do not maintain interest in such things, would not believe the amount of time needed to send a probe out. That is to say from conception to launch.

18. paulsamuel Registered Senior Member

reply to Adam

El Presidente?

Why not 'Adam the Great?' That sounds better, lol.

19. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member

Nope. Has to be El Presidente. I'll wander about in a dressing robe all day with a cigar hanging out of my mouth. (I don't smoke, but you gotta have the cigar.) And my personal bodyguards will be tall muscular women in uniforms. Each day I'll travel by a different route, and I'll hire look-alikes to perform various public functions for me. Even if nobody is trying to kill me, I have to do that; it's part of the whole El Presidente thing.

20. justagirl Registered Senior Member

Welcome to Red Colony.com! Here you'll find the latest news, images, and happenings on the future of Mars. We offer dozens of exclusive articles about colonizing the Red Planet and learning more about our neighbor in space. We've received loads of publicity and hold a high regard in the scientific community for our work. If you've ever wondered about establishing a permanent colony on Mars or creating another Earth through terraforming, you've come to the right place! http://www.redcolony.com/

check that out..I just found it

21. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member

Ah, their ideas about Mars suck. Not one mention of me as El Presidente...

On the other hand, nice link.

22. betavoltaic future-shock-rider Registered Senior Member

And who pays for all of this and at the expense of what other programs

This discussion has folks saying that we should go to Mars and we should have a colony on Mars and even Terra-Form Mars. My question remains who is going to pay for all this and what benefit do we get for our dollar. Glory, Nice pictures of people saying how excited they are to be on Mars.

Not for my money. The cost of any type of Mars manned mission is going to be out of this world literally. I think space exploration by man should be paid for with some type of profit or real value.

I would love for my company to get the contract for the powercells for something like this but should the big corporations get a big payday at the taxpayers expense? Is it right to have everyone pay for something they may not share in? It will cost hundreds of billions of today's dollars to build something like this 10 years from now. We will pay for it for a decade and then likely for another decade.

I think if they want to do this with Rockets it certainly should not happen because the cost would be just too much. Electric propulsion with some type of MHD propulsion maybe. Nuclear powered electric would be cheap and fast enough to do it and we get to keep the spacecraft and use it again. A reusable ship that is fast and reliable and can be reused for several missions. Otherwise it is just too high a price a pay for a one shot deal that only a hand full of people get to enjoy at our expense.

23. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member

Seriously though, now that I'm sober-ish...

I don't like the idea of colonising Mars. The gravity just sucks. It will screw people over. If we're going to get into moving about in space, we should do it properly and find 1G planets or as close as we can. Mars should be used as raw materials, mine the hell out of it. Unless people feel it is important like some natural wonder or something, like the grand canyon. But I don't like the idea of people living there in that weak gravity. Bone density will be stuffed. Iron in the bloodstream may be carried differently, causing crappy brain development. All sorts of problems.