The Best End-Of-The-World films/books...ever!

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by The Flemster, Feb 28, 2007.

1. The Flemster Unstoppable sex machine Registered Senior Member

Because I'm building a definitive collection, I'd be interested to hear what you lot think are the best examples of End of the World/collapse of civilization films and books.

Even obvious choices are welcome, as I often hear someone mention a film and end up slapping my forehead and thinking "Bugger! Why didn't I think of that?"

Appreciate the help.

The Flemster.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

Mad Max.

The Postman.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

I kind of liked the cheesy "Colussus the Forbin Project". "V for Vendetta" is a good recent one. T3 of course signalled nuclear war between an AI and humanity.

There are the asteroid crashing into earth ones like "Deep Impact" and "Armageddon". There are a couple made for TV ones, u might want to google those.

Then there's Earth freezing over ones like "Day After Tomorrow"...this one was kinda half hearted, but the disaster effects were fun.

How about alien invasions? The "V" series was good in it's day, "Independence Day" good for a laugh, "Earth Final Conflict" was an excellent series...strictly speaking the world didn't end, but "EFC" did threaten to collapse civilization as we know it often enough

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Tristan Leave your World Behind Valued Senior Member

War Games... Classic

8. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

The Day of the Triffids.

9. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

A great book is Lucifers Hammer by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournell. It's about an asteroid impact.

10. glaucon tending tangentially Registered Senior Member

Nick Sagan's Idlewild.

11. Laika Space Bitch Registered Senior Member

Earth Abides
    The Stand

12. leopold Valued Senior Member

this was, in my opinion, the suckiest movie ever made.
    i don't know which was worse, "dune" or the above.

13. Tristan Leave your World Behind Valued Senior Member

the miniseries made by scifi was awesome, Dune that is... But I couldnt watch the original movie adaptation after seeing the new one... The old one sucked in comparison!

14. guthrie paradox generator Registered Senior Member

best in what way?

"On the beach" by Nevil shute still makes me very worried just thinking about it.

15. glaucon tending tangentially Registered Senior Member

'real' meaning what exactly?, in your definition.

16. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams. Great book, and every version of earth in every alternative universe was destroyed.

17. The Flemster Unstoppable sex machine Registered Senior Member

One of my favourite-ever books. Actually, this book got me onto the subject!

18. The Flemster Unstoppable sex machine Registered Senior Member

Another favourite book!

Have you read Exit Earth by Martin Caidin?
    Quite similar whilst being vastly different.

19. Free_Matt_417 The CIA took my baby away Registered Senior Member

12 Monkeys.
    or
    Akira

Theres more if i think harder.

20. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

'Aeon Flux' wasn't bad, some folks won't enjoy it because of its cartoon origin.
    In browsing thru amazon's DVDs after my first post in this thread, I came across another short lived possibility "Earth 2". Was quite a decent series, pity it was cancelled.

lol, Leo, I would have to agree that 'Armageddon' wasn't all that, but I can think of worse movies...like 'Ultraviolet' aka 'What if Aeon Flux sucked?'.

21. RoyLennigan Registered Senior Member

My personal fav of the genre.

Hey, I thought the original dune was really good... for a movie. The book of course was monumentally better. One of my favorites.

I thought the new ones were too digitally contaminated--they didn't look as real as the original movie. But they did stick to the story better, if i remember correctly. Eh, its give and take. I'd rather read the book.

great movie.

There's also The Stand by Stephen King. The whole book does a great job of sucking you into an unbelievable post-civ era by slowly acclimating you to strange and frightening coincidences. But he kinda takes it too far in the end.

22. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Le Dernier Combat (The Last Battle), directed by Luc Besson.

23. Zardozi Isvara.... . 1S Evil_Lau Registered Senior Member

This End of The World Hallucination was written by me:

Well... an alien has discovered a planet and decides to conquerr it by laying out a strategy that will result in self destruction which is a method of non-violence maintaining supreme personality. So the Alien picks the most dominant creature and nominates him as the planets representative amongst a diversity of similiar creatures. The others oppose and say they should be the representatives of the planet and declare themselves to be that. This wish is granted by the almighty representative with a plan. A plan that will one day be recognized as plan "As It Is," - K2 vs. A51. Its purpose was to temporarily please the opposition while contending for integrity as the rightful ruler. And, Without the Drama, the end occurs when the chinese fly superatomic airplanes over the americas and blow up half the planet. The "Majic" of life will contain the bombardment transferring the remainng life while recreating the symbiotic conscienceness to alter the Milky Way into a more living galaxy.

Zardozi

Heres a picture from a book:
    http://www.bhagavad-gita.us/24.html