Human Sacrifice in the Bible?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by SetiAlpha6, Feb 27, 2007.

1. SetiAlpha6 Come Let Us Reason Together Valued Senior Member

We unfortunately have what appear to be examples of "God Approved" Human Sacrifice in the Bible.

Exodus 22:29
    29 “You shall not delay to offer the first of your ripe produce and your juices. The firstborn of your sons you shall give to Me"

Leviticus 27: 28-29
    28 ‘Nevertheless no devoted offering that a man may devote to the LORD of all that he has, both man and beast, or the field of his possession, shall be sold or redeemed; every devoted offering is most holy to the LORD. 29 No person under the ban, who may become doomed to destruction among men, shall be redeemed, but shall surely be put to death.

Was this ever done? Yes!

Numbers 31:25-40
    25 Now the LORD spoke to Moses, saying: 26 “Count up the plunder that was taken—of man and beast—you and Eleazar the priest and the chief fathers of the congregation; 27 and divide the plunder into two parts, between those who took part in the war, who went out to battle, and all the congregation. 28 And levy a tribute for the LORD on the men of war who went out to battle: one of every five hundred of the persons, the cattle, the donkeys, and the sheep; 29 take it from their half, and give it to Eleazar the priest as a heave offering to the LORD. 30 And from the children of Israel’s half you shall take one of every fifty, drawn from the persons, the cattle, the donkeys, and the sheep, from all the livestock, and give them to the Levites who keep charge of the tabernacle of the LORD.” 31 So Moses and Eleazar the priest did as the LORD commanded Moses.
    32 The booty remaining from the plunder, which the men of war had taken, was six hundred and seventy-five thousand sheep, 33 seventy-two thousand cattle, 34 sixty-one thousand donkeys, 35 and thirty-two thousand persons in all, of women who had not known a man intimately. 36 And the half, the portion for those who had gone out to war, was in number three hundred and thirty-seven thousand five hundred sheep; 37 and the LORD’s tribute of the sheep was six hundred and seventy-five. 38 The cattle were thirty-six thousand, of which the LORD’s tribute was seventy-two. 39 The donkeys were thirty thousand five hundred, of which the LORD’s tribute was sixty-one. 40 The persons were sixteen thousand, of which the LORD’s tribute was thirty-two persons.

2 Samuel 21:1-14
    1 Now there was a famine in the days of David for three years, year after year; and David inquired of the LORD. And the LORD answered, “It is because of Saul and his bloodthirsty house, because he killed the Gibeonites.” 2 So the king called the Gibeonites and spoke to them. Now the Gibeonites were not of the children of Israel, but of the remnant of the Amorites; the children of Israel had sworn protection to them, but Saul had sought to kill them in his zeal for the children of Israel and Judah.3 Therefore David said to the Gibeonites, “What shall I do for you? And with what shall I make atonement, that you may bless the inheritance of the LORD?” 4 And the Gibeonites said to him, “We will have no silver or gold from Saul or from his house, nor shall you kill any man in Israel for us.” So he said, “Whatever you say, I will do for you.” 5 Then they answered the king, “As for the man who consumed us and plotted against us, that we should be destroyed from remaining in any of the territories of Israel, 6 let seven men of his descendants be delivered to us, and we will hang them before the LORD in Gibeah of Saul, whom the LORD chose.” And the king said, “I will give them.” 7 But the king spared Mephibosheth the son of Jonathan, the son of Saul, because of the LORD’s oath that was between them, between David and Jonathan the son of Saul. 8 So the king took Armoni and Mephibosheth, the two sons of Rizpah the daughter of Aiah, whom she bore to Saul, and the five sons of Michal[a] the daughter of Saul, whom she brought up for Adriel the son of Barzillai the Meholathite; 9 and he delivered them into the hands of the Gibeonites, and they hanged them on the hill before the LORD. So they fell, all seven together, and were put to death in the days of harvest, in the first days, in the beginning of barley harvest. 10 Now Rizpah the daughter of Aiah took sackcloth and spread it for herself on the rock, from the beginning of harvest until the late rains poured on them from heaven. And she did not allow the birds of the air to rest on them by day nor the beasts of the field by night. 11 And David was told what Rizpah the daughter of Aiah, the concubine of Saul, had done. 12 Then David went and took the bones of Saul, and the bones of Jonathan his son, from the men of Jabesh Gilead who had stolen them from the street of Beth Shan, where the Philistines had hung them up, after the Philistines had struck down Saul in Gilboa. 13 So he brought up the bones of Saul and the bones of Jonathan his son from there; and they gathered the bones of those who had been hanged. 14 They buried the bones of Saul and Jonathan his son in the country of Benjamin in Zelah, in the tomb of Kish his father. So they performed all that the king commanded. And after that God heeded the prayer for the land.

This is called the "Word of God" ladies and gentlemen.

So, does the death of the children of someone who wronged you, serve as an atonement, for you? Yes it can!

Does God punish an entire nation for the acts of just a few men? Yes He does! In fact, He does it all the time!

The lessons for today are crystal clear for all who have eyes to see! Are you unemployed, is your marriage in trouble, does your car need repair, are you hungry? The reason is simple! God is angry at something someone else did. All you have to do is find them, or their children, and kill them. (Please, Please, DO NOT Try This At Home!!!) Finally, we now know what kind of things can cause famine in the world today and even how we can fix it.

Wait a minute! It does seem like there is something just a little immoral about this practice to me! But then, who am I to question such things? I am a nobody! I must have faith, of course, that these things are good and right no matter what I might think.

How about you?

(Disclaimer: I am in no any way recommending that anyone ever follow the Bible in this regard!)

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Binary Registered Senior Member

They were heave offerings, they were given unto the levites, not to god.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. SetiAlpha6 Come Let Us Reason Together Valued Senior Member

Are you sure about this?

"The firstborn of your sons you shall give to Me"

Who does the word "Me" refer to? The Levites? Is it not possibly God?

Did you happen to notice that they were put to death?

Thanks

Last edited: Nov 24, 2007
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Binary Registered Senior Member

Yes, and me does refer to god, however sometimes give refers to consecration.

The alter the priest sacrificed upon was holy. Men where unacceptable as sacrifices because unlike beast they were all guilty of sin. Only once was a human offered as a burnt offering.

Judges 11 (King James Version)

30And Jephthah vowed a vow unto the LORD, and said, If thou shalt without fail deliver the children of Ammon into mine hands,

31Then it shall be, that whatsoever cometh forth of the doors of my house to meet me, when I return in peace from the children of Ammon, shall surely be the LORD's, and I will offer it up for a burnt offering.

32So Jephthah passed over unto the children of Ammon to fight against them; and the LORD delivered them into his hands.

33And he smote them from Aroer, even till thou come to Minnith, even twenty cities, and unto the plain of the vineyards, with a very great slaughter. Thus the children of Ammon were subdued before the children of Israel.

34And Jephthah came to Mizpeh unto his house, and, behold, his daughter came out to meet him with timbrels and with dances: and she was his only child; beside her he had neither son nor daughter.

35And it came to pass, when he saw her, that he rent his clothes, and said, Alas, my daughter! thou hast brought me very low, and thou art one of them that trouble me: for I have opened my mouth unto the LORD, and I cannot go back.

36And she said unto him, My father, if thou hast opened thy mouth unto the LORD, do to me according to that which hath proceeded out of thy mouth; forasmuch as the LORD hath taken vengeance for thee of thine enemies, even of the children of Ammon.

37And she said unto her father, Let this thing be done for me: let me alone two months, that I may go up and down upon the mountains, and bewail my virginity, I and my fellows.

38And he said, Go. And he sent her away for two months: and she went with her companions, and bewailed her virginity upon the mountains.

39And it came to pass at the end of two months, that she returned unto her father, who did with her according to his vow which he had vowed: and she knew no man. And it was a custom in Israel,

40That the daughters of Israel went yearly to lament the daughter of Jephthah the Gileadite four days in a year.

8. Donnal Registered Member

well i can honestly say
    we are not the ones put up for judgment
    and thank bloody god for that ...pardon my french

its god and satan
    bout bloody time they get judged

9. Binary Registered Senior Member

The law can not be judged, only that which abides in it.

10. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

What was Jesus? Is there a difference between martyrdom and human sacrifice?

11. Binary Registered Senior Member

Jesus is the sacrifice, not a martyr. Martyrdom implies faithfulness to a belief even unto death, the only thing purchased in the death is honor for the cause.(or atleast they can hope)

When it came to the death of Jesus christ the obedience was unto death for the purchasing of all those that believe on him. He came to die.

12. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

funny thing - that's when I dropped out of baptist bible school - shorty after Abraham and Issac was told to us.

13. SetiAlpha6 Come Let Us Reason Together Valued Senior Member

Can you please explain the following passage to me?

Leviticus 27: 28-29
    28 ‘Nevertheless no devoted offering that a man may devote to the LORD of all that he has, both man and beast, or the field of his possession, shall be sold or redeemed; every devoted offering is most holy to the LORD. 29 No person under the ban, who may become doomed to destruction among men, shall be redeemed, but shall surely be put to death.

14. SetiAlpha6 Come Let Us Reason Together Valued Senior Member

Yes, good point, even though Abraham didn't kill his son in the end, it was still an incredibly cruel and evil thing to do to him.

Abraham was plainly willing to kill his own son to save his own soul and to placate his God. And God was, according to record, most pleased with this very fact. What better character building model can there be?

And this act is, to this day, even still held up as a great example of faith and virtue. This shows you just how dangerous and mind numbing faith can become, when through it, the mind is separated from common morality and reason.

Unfortunately children are not always this fortunate. In the Judges 11:30-40 passage that Binary provided, you can actually see a father go through with the act when he kills his own daughter to please his God. And there is no record of God stopping him this time. This man killed his own daughter to please God. It was an act of murder motivated by extreme selfishness. This is exactly what the Old Testament Law trained these people to do for centuries.

Only the truly virtuous would have been able to separate themselves from this insanity. Because only they would have had enough love for their own children, personal integrity, and just plain raw character to put their own soul at risk instead of their children.

15. Photizo Ambassador/Envoy Valued Senior Member

Ponder these words: He who seeks to save his life shall lose it...he who loses his life for My (Jesus/God) sake shall find it unto life eternal.

By selfishly refusing God you are left with your own devices which are quite meager at best. By surrendering the little you have in terms of abilities, possessions, and so forth into God's hands, He multiplies them many times over than that little you might have kept for yourself...the little you now have you must eventually lose and trying to preserve it is futile.

16. SetiAlpha6 Come Let Us Reason Together Valued Senior Member

Very good! That is exactly my point.

And that is why Abraham lost his own soul in trying to save it, at the expense of another, his own son.

Thanks!

17. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

Some of us prefer oblivion or your god's hell, to submitting to an overlord and hanging around for eternity with bible thumping lemmings of an ancient dogma.

18. Binary Registered Senior Member

Leviticus 27: 28-29(KJV)
    28Notwithstanding no devoted thing, that a man shall devote unto the LORD of all that he hath, both of man and beast, and of the field of his possession, shall be sold or redeemed: every devoted thing is most holy unto the LORD.

29None devoted, which shall be devoted of men, shall be redeemed; but shall surely be put to death.

Basicly the whole chapters talking about buying and selling to the preist hood, being devoted to holiness, or the work of the lord, and getting money in exchange. Also it list the guidelines for redemption. Although people could be devoted, you'll see there was no room for redemption given.
    The only way out of that was and is death, or rather god killing you.

19. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

This was something I ask the Sunday school teacher, when told that Issac would have gone straight to heaven.

"Why does not every father not slay his children at birth then? Why not sacrifice one's own soul for the SURENESS of his son's or his daughter's express ticket to eternal bliss? Surely it is a noble sacrifice, to burn in hell so that all your children are sure to be in heaven. Have to kill them quite young though, from what I understand...before the age of reason(whenever that is). Funny thing huh, that the English choose the word "reason" when translating."

Well anyways, that when Christians like to bring up Jesus. My thinking now is, the early Christians were very foolish to include Hebrew canon, they should have made a clean sweep. It's all very fucked up and easy to see through the lies, how this perfect God can change so far in one man's lifetime.

20. SetiAlpha6 Come Let Us Reason Together Valued Senior Member

And what was the response then? I mean, other than the usual character assassinations, put downs, telling you not to think about it or lean on your own understanding, etc.

Please don't give these people any more ideas. Some of them are actually capable of this very thing. I have found, that when asked point blank about this, many of the most devout Christians will still say that they would indeed kill their own children if they ever really thought that God wanted them to. Some of them think this is a way to show God how devout they are. It is selfishness on steroids if not outright insanity.

You might be right.

Thanks!

21. Photizo Ambassador/Envoy Valued Senior Member

Yes, He knows that. That's why when the end comes and you cry "foul", your cries will fall on deaf ears.

22. Photizo Ambassador/Envoy Valued Senior Member

Only in your twisted mind.

23. Binary Registered Senior Member

So complicated, think simple. Simplicity is stressed throughout the bible. God didn't change, not even so much as the sun changes when it's image is shown upon diverse forms.

One has to understand sacrifice. Chronologically the first sacrifice was made by god when he slew pleasing transgressionless creatures to make coats of their skin to give to man(a creature that had transgressed) for a covering of his nakedness. Sacrafice is a show of kinsmanship, through partaking in his suffering. This works on the premise that man knows that all things where created for the pleasure of god, and is capable of acknowledging the love that god has toward him to do such a thing, and in so doing having denied himself pleasure, even unto death that we may live.

There are no contridictions in the truth of the world only perceivably contrast, even as there is only one law.