Atheism's Thirteen Biggest Flaws

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by lightgigantic, Feb 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lightgigantic Banned Banned

Quite long but quite exhaustive of whatever you are likely to encounter on net discussions on the subject

http://petitecute.home.att.net/flaws.htm

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2007
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. w1z4rd Valued Senior Member

I am a theist (pantheist), and I did not find a single one of those counter argument points convincing :/ So, I thought I would post the most common lies christians tell :

As a counter weight.

I notice for instance, your "arguments" say 10% of the world is atheist, but mine say 1/3rd of the world is... hmmmm...

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2007
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. wsionynw Master Queef Valued Senior Member

Light, you're an intelligent individual, you must see that these arguments are very weak and in some cases plainly false.
    The only thing that can be said of atheists such as myself is that we cannot help but believe there is no God since we have not witnessed anything that can can convince us otherwise (including the testimony of people who claim to have been touched by God). Perhaps if all the theists around the world could agree on what God it is that touches them, then this could be classed as evidence (although not by me).
    Divorce, crime, wars, etc, have nothing to do with atheism, rather more to do with the arguments against organised religion.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. w1z4rd Valued Senior Member

By the argument used to prove that God exists, we can also conclude that the Loch Ness Monster and Aliens that practice anal probe pleasure also exist... or that every other God for every other nation exists (including all the Hindu Gods), and calling Atheism a belief is like calling Bald a hair color.

8. Roman Banned Banned

Two of them stood out as incredibly weak arguments:

5 &11.

A man who claims that there is a man with a beard and blue eyes living in the heavens who performs miracles for mortals better off some iron clad evidence. Unfortunately, testimonials are the weakest evidence.
    Faith is nothing more than placebo, whether it's faith in a sugar pill or Jesus.

Christians have a higher divorce rate because they're... more moral? If their values are so strong, why do they sin so much, and then fail to forgive their partners?
    Seems like, whichever way you want to argue the difference in divorce rates, we see that Christianity is bad for the family.

9. Grantywanty Registered Senior Member

This would only give an explanation for why you do not beleive in God. It does not explain why you believe there is no God.

You can understand the difference.

Believing there is no God is a much stronger belief and it is what puts athiests, rather than agnostics, in a strange postion.

How can you know this?

10. Grantywanty Registered Senior Member

I'm also a pantheist and I've found it interesting to argue simultaneously with both athiests and Christians or other monotheists. The former feeling superior because they consider themselves rational and not motivated by emotions. The latter superior because they follow the true God and the correct book. If I look back in history I see these two groups working hand in hand to damage, kill, eliminate indigenous groups with such attitudes as justification. Of course if you go back a bit everyone was nominally a monotheist, but there were 'rationalist' forces within monotheist societies, people who really did not care about the God stuff, yet they worked hand in hand with the Christians to wipe out cultures different from theirs.

I put rationalist in quotes for obvious reasons.

11. wsionynw Master Queef Valued Senior Member

I don't make the distinction. I have no reason to believe in a God, therefore I believe there is no God, but I do not know for a fact that there is no God. Nobody knows, so are we all agnostics? No, because some people believe there is a God.
    The same logic applies to ghosts, unicorns, etc.

12. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

The link doesn't work.

13. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

Why does everyone keep saying that LG is an "intelligent fellow"? Being able to string together long diatribes of usually impenetrable prose with liberal doses of BG passages and incredibly weak arguments leads me to a more reasonable hypothesis. LG has a decent vocabulary but no real processing power behind it. C'mon people.

14. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

Sure it does. He's trying to be clever with his "soapbox" comment. Weak. Very weak.

15. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

16. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

Ha! Read it. Almost all of it is dead wrong and fatally flawed. That's the problem you see. Theists couch their arguments in lies and deception in order to win over the weak minded. It's worked for thousands of years.

17. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Careful darling, you're blabbering.

18. przyk squishy Valued Senior Member

...therefore, if I claim to be an atheist, I must then proceed to prove I am an atheist?

19. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

I do that from time to time. It's cathartic.

20. w1z4rd Valued Senior Member

I dont have problems with theist or atheists, its when either group starts lying I have issues.

21. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

This one is good:

So, ignorance and superstition were always the norm, hence it is up to everyone else to show it isn't anymore.

And this gem:

Christians never change their standards of morality, do they?

22. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

That whole link was a big bowlfull of doggy doo.

23. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Sorry for butting in here, but do you actually think those are valid flaws?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.