One Way Ticket to Hell

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by nds1, Feb 7, 2007.

?

How many people up to this point have gone to hell?

1. 0%-25%

12 vote(s)
    48.0%
  2. 26%-50%

1 vote(s)
    4.0%
  3. 51%-75%

3 vote(s)
    12.0%
  4. 76%-100%

9 vote(s)
    36.0%
  1. nds1 Registered Senior Member

Here is what is assumed for this poll:

1. There is a God which exists who wants everyone to serve him
    2. A place or realm called heaven exists in which there is happiness for eternity
    3. A hell exists which can either be a tempory holding prision (Christianity), an eternal punishment (other religions), or becoming a lower form of existence (Hinduism). Whatever you personally judge hell to be, use that for this poll.

So for Christians the question would be:

Out of the billions and billions of people to walk the earth so far, how many have gone to the temporary holding prison called hell imediately upon death.

For those who believe hell is a final destination involving eternal torture:

Out of the billions and billions of people to walk the earth so far, how many have gone to hell where they will be eternally tortured.

For those who believe in Hinduism, Buddhism, or a religion with similar beliefs:

Out of the billions and billions of people to walk the earth so far, how many people have gone to any one of the 136 hells at least once over the course of their soul's existence:

HINDU HELL: Because Hinduism is based on the idea of perpetual reincarnation, Hindu hell is merely a stopping point where souls burn off evil before proceeding to the next life. The number of hells varies greatly, with some accounts listing as many as 136 separate underworld realms, each corresponding to a different sin. In these chambers of punishment, the spirit rids itself of bad KARMA (the sum of its evil acts). Tortures in the lower hells, the worst places of agony, include being burned alive, boiling in oil, and being eaten by ravenous birds.

Source: http://www.whiterosesgarden.com/Nat..._hell/UNDR-H_general-desc/UNDR_hindu_hell.htm

For Satanists the question would be:

How many people have gone to heaven?

Last edited: Feb 8, 2007
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. draqon Banned Banned

all.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. kl5k Registered Senior Member

I disagree with your premise. No one has gone to hell yet. hell happens after the 2nd coming of Jesus.

clarification for those confused: I disagree with your premise (of an eternal burning hell). No one has gone to hell (meaning to the final annilation in the lake of fire) yet. hell happens after the 2nd coming of Jesus (in the lake of fire).

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. SkinWalker Archaeology / Anthropology Moderator

I disagree with your premise. It assumes that the judeo-christian mythology is the correct religious doctrine. What testable or verifiable evidence do you have that your particular religious cult is more correct than any other?

8. kl5k Registered Senior Member

I'm sorry, I assumed the premise of your statements was what the bible says about hell. As a christian I base my reasoning (to the best of my ability) on what the bible says. I am simply stating that as far as I can discern, the bible doesn't teach an enternally burning hell.

9. zenbabelfish autonomous hyperreal sophist Registered Senior Member

Jude 1:7
    Even as Sodom and Gomorrha, and the cities about them in like manner,
    giving themselves over to fornication, and going after strange flesh, are set
    forth for an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire.

10. kl5k Registered Senior Member

Peter 2:6
    "and turning the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah into ashes, condemned them to destruction, making them an example to those who afterward would live ungodly;"

Luke 17:29
    but on the day that Lot went out of Sodom it rained fire and brimstone from heaven and destroyed them all.

11. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

Heaven and hell is a state of mind, nobody goes anywhere when they die, they simply transform into toxic bacteria or ash.

12. nds1 Registered Senior Member

Rev 20:10
    10 The devil, who deceived them, was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone where the beast and the false prophet are. And they will be tormented day and night forever and ever.
    NKJV

What Bible are you reading from? Forever and ever sounds like eternity to me.

Rev 20:13-15
    13 The sea gave up the dead who were in it, and Death and Hades delivered up the dead who were in them. And they were judged, each one according to his works. 14 Then Death and Hades were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death. 15 And anyone not found written in the Book of Life was cast into the lake of fire.
    NKJV

Commentary on verse 15 by the esteemed Christian scholar, Mathew Barnes:

Enough said.

13. Adstar Valued Senior Member

hummm i voted before i read these qualifications.

Hell is not the eternal lake of fire. Hell is a temporary holding pen. The Lake of fire is the permanent solution.

Read the Book of Revelation.

Revelation 20
    13And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.

14And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.

Hell and the Lake of fire are different things; You cannot cast something into itself. Hell is only temporary.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

14. nds1 Registered Senior Member

For Christians the question would be:

Out of the billions and billions of people to walk the earth so far, how many have gone to the temporary holding prison called hell imediately upon death.

15. IceAgeCivilizations Banned Banned

Maybe twenty billion people have lived 'til now, about the 140th generation from Adam and Eve, and non Jews became people of faith in the coming Messiah in Old Testament times, such as Rahab, so it's really pretty hard to tell how many people have missed the boat.

16. nds1 Registered Senior Member

It seems here that both of you have contradicting views about hell. One says hell is currently in place as a temporary holding pen, while the other says hell doesn't even exist yet. Both of you are basing your claims on the same source: The Bible.

Can someone clear this issue up?

17. kl5k Registered Senior Member

I don't think we disagree. I am not sure if we agree on what hell is (i.e. that temporary holding pen). My position is that the bible teaches that hell is the same as the grave and that both righteous and wicked are held there until they are resurrected. In the previous post I used hell in the sense that the poll was speaking about it. I will try to be more clear in my terminology.

18. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

M*W: Do you honestly believe Adam and Eve were real people?

19. nds1 Registered Senior Member

klk5, yes you and Adstar do indeed disagree.

Adstar said that hell is "a temporary holding pen."

Adstar believes many people have gone to hell so far.
    You on the other hand, believe that "no one has gone to hell yet."

And then you say that you both don't disagree?

Please stop with this nonsense and just admit that you and Adstar disagree on this issue. Don't worry, a bolt of lightning won't come down and consume you. Just because you are both Christians doesn't mean you have to agree exactly on everything down to every detail as far as interpreting the Bible.

20. kl5k Registered Senior Member

nothing. death (i.e. the holding pen) is like sleep biblically speaking.

21. kl5k Registered Senior Member

Did you even read my post. I said : "... I used hell in the sense that the poll was speaking about it. ...". meaning the poll assumes hell is a place burning forever. If you want to think we disagree, then by all means have your opinion.

Yes you are right. I am not agreeing because we are both Christians (I assume by Adstar's comments he is a Christian). I am sure my views diverge with many Christians.

22. nds1 Registered Senior Member

The point is, some of your disagreement is just semantics. You both agree that the Lake of Fire is eternal and involves eternal torture.

Here's where you and Adstar disagree:

Adstar believes that when you die, you don't just sleep until the second coming. Adstar believes that you either go to heaven, or hell imediately upon death. And if you go to hell, you are conscious there, and possibly suffer (after all, it is a prison, right?)

So you, klk5, don't believe you are conscious after death until the Second Coming, while Adstar believes you are indeed conscious after death before the second coming, either in heaven or hell/Hades.

You say nothing goes on in hell. No torment or torture. Adstar's opposing belief is backed by scripture:

Luke 16:22-25
    22 So it was that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels to Abraham's bosom. The rich man also died and was buried. 23 And being in torments in Hades, he lifted up his eyes and saw Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom. 24 Then he cried and said, 'Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus that he may dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.'
    NKJV

Mark 9:43
    It is better for you to enter into life maimed, rather than having two hands, to go to hell, into the fire that shall never be quenched--
    NKJV

I don't know klk5, sounds to me like people aren't just sleeping, they are being tortured in hell if they lived a bad life.

So according the bible then, hell or Hades is a temporary holding prison in which it is very hot and torturous and in which living souls suffer until the second coming. Not sleep.

23. kl5k Registered Senior Member

nds1, you seem to be ignoring my explanations and I certainly don't see anything in this thread that shows Adstar and I are disagreeing. Therefore, I think you're just trying to be divisive. My explanations seem to be falling on deaf ears.