Atheists Attacked in America

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Mythbuster, Feb 6, 2007.

1. Mythbuster Mushroomed Registered Senior Member

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Wow. I'm not too surprised in a small Mississippi town, buncha dumb hicks.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

Thats nothing compared to what God will do to them...

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. zenbabelfish autonomous hyperreal sophist Registered Senior Member

Excellent thread - I notice that the people were judged as atheists because they didn't believe in a christian god and this is why I have been pro-active in defending the rights of atheists to not believe in a god on the SciForums.
    Personally I exist beyond acceptance of human-made labels and I'm sure that this is the way a god would want it if he/she/it/? should exist.
    I am neither an atheist or a theist or anything else to do with religion or the lack of it.

8. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

Good find Myth.

9. Fathoms Banned Banned

10. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

We should take in God we Trust off our dollars, and eliminate "one nation under God" from the pledge.

(I hate Debbie Schlussel)

11. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

Wow crazy!

12. VitalOne Banned Banned

Everything they said is basically true....I mean just look around at this forum atheists are constantly attacking theists and trying to ridicule them all the time...almost in every post you can find in the religion section....however theists don't really attack atheists as much.....its all true

13. zenbabelfish autonomous hyperreal sophist Registered Senior Member

I really picked up on that point - it was discussing the persecution of atheism from a culturally-specific viewpoint...Christian.

They almost seemed to be saying 'What else do you expect.'

14. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

The difference is that with atheists it's only an intellectual challenge. Theists tend towards groupthink and defending their culture through intimidation.

15. zenbabelfish autonomous hyperreal sophist Registered Senior Member

That's exactly the problem - its not about peoples right to believe its about normalization. Zimbardo, Ashe, etc.

16. Fathoms Banned Banned

That's a rather ironic observation VitalOne, considering this place is a science board, that just happens to have a religious forum. There are other boards atheists can go to merely pat themselves on the back and not have to challange their beliefs, and the same thing with theists. As ugly as it gets on here, you have to appreciate that both sides represented here are at least willing to engage in a dialogue.

17. zenbabelfish autonomous hyperreal sophist Registered Senior Member

Another worrying aspect of this family being forced from their home is what this symbolises to the rest of the community. At face value it appears as a 'purification' - a symptom of the binary opposition inherent in totalitarian thought - but under the surface the 'purification' subconsciously warns the community that if they transgress from dictat, then, they too will be purged; I stress that this is a community of good and honest people who have been misled not by their beliefs but by those with a totalitarian/messianic complex. I wish all the residents of this town peace and harmony and freedom to choose and believe as they will...just don't let fascists ruin it...and my sympathies and best wishes for the former victims. Good luck.

18. IceAgeCivilizations Banned Banned

People know in the hearts that Atheists, who say there cannot be a Creator God, are being dishonest, as people know you can't know that.

19. zenbabelfish autonomous hyperreal sophist Registered Senior Member

The point is that it is up to us as individuals to decide whether we are dishonest with ourselves...not to be kicked out of town if someone else decides that.

Can't you see that you are deluded by a fascist ideology? Oh no - of course not...

20. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Atheists don't have to reason that there cannot be God, only that it is so unlikely as to be an unreasonable belief.

21. wsionynw Master Queef Valued Senior Member

It's true that we cannot know if there is a God or no God at all. Atheists believe that there is no God, they cannot simply choose to believe in a God. I can't help but believe that there is no God, I've witnessed nothing that could lead me to believe otherwise.

22. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

So it's only natural to abuse their children and drive them out of town....

23. geeser Atheism:is non-prophet making Valued Senior Member

it's dishonest to say there is one, you cant know that.
    however atheist dont say there is no god what they do say is it is unreasonable to believe in a god.
    it's is infantile to say, there is no god as we cant possibilly look under every nook and crannie in the universe, to see if it's hidden under one.
    so because of the lack of evidence, it is very unlikely there is a god but we cant ever be a 100% sure, of that.
    and it only take one instance of it, to prove it does exist, does'nt it.