Religious texts

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by James R, Jan 18, 2007.

?

I believe:

1. The Bible is the direct word of God. It is devoid of all error and every word is literally true.

2 vote(s)
    6.3%
  2. The Bible is the inspired word of God, written by men but inspired by God. It is devoid of error.

1 vote(s)
    3.1%
  3. Parts of the Bible are symbolic rather than literal. God's word requires some interpretation.

2 vote(s)
    6.3%
  4. The Bible contains some human errors, but is mostly a true record of God's will.

1 vote(s)
    3.1%
  5. The Bible was written by men. There is some doubt as to whether it truly reflect's God's will.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. There's no way to know if the Bible is the word of God, or of man alone.

1 vote(s)
    3.1%
  7. The Bible was probably neither inspired by or written by God. It is a human work alone.

6 vote(s)
    18.8%
  8. The Bible is solely a work of man. God had no part in writing or inspiring it.

19 vote(s)
    59.4%
  1. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Just a quick poll.

If you're Muslim, please substitute "The Qur'an" for "The Bible" in answering the poll.

If you are of a religion with some other sacred text, please substitute the most sacred text of your religion for "The Bible" in answering the poll.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2007
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Oniw17 ascetic, sage, diogenes, bum? Valued Senior Member

Poll?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Patience, Oniw17. A thread with a poll always appears before the poll itself is written.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. lightgigantic Banned Banned

There are a range of texts that fall in the catagory of vedic literature that could be spread over two or perhaps three of the options - in short though the word of god is nondifferent from god, and when it gets corrupted due to inevitable time, it is re-established again, wither by god himself or an empowered representative, to suit the needs of time place and circumstance - in short however, any notion of philosophy presented in the name of the vedas, despite from wherever it may come from, it is expected that it can be validated through the bhagavad-gita

8. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

DId you respond to the poll, lightgigantic?

9. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

For comparison:

A 1996 Gallup poll of Americans found:

35% of Americans believe that the Bible is the literal and inerrant word of God (i.e. option 1 in my poll).
    48% of Americans believe that the Bible is the "inspired" word of God - still inerrant, but some of its passages must be interpreted symbollically in order to get to the true message.
    17% of Americans have some level of doubt that God actually authored the bible.

In summary, that's 83% of Americans who basically believe that the Bible was written by God, the creator of the universe.

10. lightgigantic Banned Banned

no, because you can only give one response in the poll

11. draqon Banned Banned

Bible has been created by man and his ethical spiritual believes. Since other peeps shared the belief it became powerfull. Anyways peeps needed explanation for their existence so with small brains they had most of them agreed on God and since most have agreed than God had been cited as the coauthor.

12. IceAgeCivilizations Banned Banned

I wonder what the figures would be like from Europe?

13. draqon Banned Banned

lots of peeps here on SF are from Europe. And thats what they think. God had nothing to do with bible.

14. IceAgeCivilizations Banned Banned

That poll would be fascinating to conduct among a Muslim community, Sam, on your way.

15. draqon Banned Banned

she says she is muslim...but her beliefs are far from Islam

and muslim got Allah...not God...

16. SkinWalker Archaeology / Anthropology Moderator

Which is....?

17. lightgigantic Banned Banned

I see what you mean about not reading posts

18. SkinWalker Archaeology / Anthropology Moderator

Oh... I see. Your pissed because your own particular mythology was excluded from the poll. Isn't your water wet enough? I thought you were making the contention in another thread that all religions are basically the same.

Couldn't you just do as James R recommended for the Muslims and insert the name of your own favorite myth?

19. lightgigantic Banned Banned

I had no problems with the poll or even JamesR - I have a problem with you however .... but thats a discussion for another thread

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

20. SkinWalker Archaeology / Anthropology Moderator

So, assuming that the poll extends to all religious mythologies, which answer above would you give?

21. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Somewhat lower than the American figures. America is practically a theocracy.

I see eight options.

22. lightgigantic Banned Banned

I guess you will have to reread what i posted earlier to get an answer

23. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

It sounds like you're afraid to express your beliefs, lightgigantic. Why?