I'm looking to upgrade from 98SE to 2000.

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by MewSkitty, Jan 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MewSkitty Sciforums.com sucks! Registered Senior Member

My computer currently runs on an updated version of Windows 98SE called Windows 98 Plus!. It's just about the same, only differentce is two new games, compressed folders without the need of programs like winzip, and a few other small things I don't remember right now. Anyways, I looked up the system requirments for windows 2000 and I meet them. I currently have a 400Mhtz Pentium 2 processor and 64MB (not including swap file) of RAM. I also have 2GB of free space on my 6GB hard drive. So, how can I get a free copy of Windows 2000? If anyone can send me a copy of the instal disk just PM me or email me at mewskitty@hotmail.com and I have dailup so downloading is not an option for me unless it's on a P2P program.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

For a computer like that, I might install puppy linux, not windows 2000.

Do you have a job? Computers nowadays are cheap, you could find a vastly superior computer for less than 300 dollars.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

I build old computers as a hobby.

Plus for windows is a package of extras from Microsoft (like power toys, and desktop themes, and so on) and is *not* an operating system. They did sell copies of windows 98 SE with the "plus extras" package bundled with it, but it's not an 'advanced' version of Windows 98 se.......it IS windows 98 SE.

...at any rate, it sounds like you have enough horsepower, but just barely. A P2 400 will run 2000, but you are going to need a lot more than 64 megs of ram. I would recommend at LEAST 256 megs. The win2k website suggests 128 megs, but from personal experience -especially with an elderly old antique processor like the p2, your system will actually run smoothly with more like 512 megs.
    Lucky for you, pc100/pc133 ram (I'm hoping you're not running edo memory, but I doubt it) is relatively cheap since nobody uses it any more. There is a computer sale in my city that occasionally rolls through town on the weekend, and they usually have big tubs of old computer parts on sale (like old video cards, sound cards, ram, etc) for 5-10 bucks a piece.
    Also-- your going to experience a HUGE bottleneck in performance with your 6 gig hard drive. You will be able to fit windows on it, but the speed as it tries to seek the data will be excruciating. You will need to buy a modern ata hard drive (something that is at least 5400 - 7200 rpm, and at least 20 gigs if you can help it)---- unless you enjoy the sound of never ending grinding as it sloooooooooowly does what you ask it to do.

Xerxes has the right idea though. It would be much easier to buy a cheap newer computer than torture yourself with the old one.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

For example: eMachines refurbished PC for 230

Or build yourself a Dell. Personally, some of my own friends who insist on keeping an old machine I'm convincing them to let me build new ones. Time to retire anything that has an x-MHz processor.

8. draqon Banned Banned

take my advice install Win98 2nd version. Win2000 is way worse.

9. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

WOW this is the first time i ever heard someone say Win98 is better than Win2000. In any flavour.

10. draqon Banned Banned

I was talking NT version of Win2000.

11. Utopmk Guest

qft.

12. MewSkitty Sciforums.com sucks! Registered Senior Member

I'm just looking for a CD disk or P2P program I can get the 2000 OS from. I have 250MB on my swap file so it's like I have 314MB of RAM. Just get me the OS or leave me alone.

EDIT: Also I can't buy a new computer. My parents won't let me get a job and my family's total income is $12,000 a year to support 5 people. A new computer is not an option.

13. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Ain't gonna happen.
    Not here.

Try IRC or bittorrent.

Selfish little prick.
    About time to lock this thread then?

14. draqon Banned Banned

Mew Really the only other way to do it is if you tell me your adress and I send you the burned CD with the win2000 you asked for. I am a nice individual. But you will be paying with your loss of privacy.

15. MewSkitty Sciforums.com sucks! Registered Senior Member

I just asked to get the OS and then everyone goes of talking about stuff I don't need to be conserned with, like a new computer. I don't like to be bossy but it has to be done when no one will listen.

16. draqon Banned Banned

have you read my offer?

17. MewSkitty Sciforums.com sucks! Registered Senior Member

You posted while I was in the middle of typing my post so when I read the replies your's wasn't up until after I had posted.

18. draqon Banned Banned

time dilation is cause of this.

19. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

Thats becasue you want to put Win2k on a slow machine. Seriously, it will suck.

20. TimePlotter Registered Member

I take it you have resolved your problem with the HD Format that you will encounter should you desire unarchiving many RAR files now that they are becoming NTFS dependant, so you cannot unarchive the archive to a FAT32 Drive WinRAR refuses and many larger files would require you to install a larger drive than have merely 2GB free as Disc drives and DVD videos demand larger HDD space 5GB at least, you have no choice in this else you are working on a obsolete system forever. One work around is to install a grro USB 2.0 expansion card and then buy a HDD in a enclosure and format it as a NTFS system drive but its not bootable only for storage. Also consider networking with a Ethernet and a dual G 125 High Speed Router so you can connect to other computers else you must get a ethernet yellow cable connection wiring harness and go direct eliminating a chance to acces the Internet with your Win98se system changed to Windows 2000. Fat32 is almost a bad idea to invest in, many reasons is that RAM drives are becoming available and soon RAM programs writing from MHEG programming which is to create HDTV broadcasting (MHEG-5 and MHEG-6 standards) for HDTV techs. Teleprompting cannot be accomplished with Windows 2000 and cannot be a objective of all the people needing advertising in that standard for HDTV. They say that HDTV's are not actually HDTV Ready because they lack compatibility with these two standards, its absurd that this has happened but thats they way broadcasters want it as cable companies must invest into MHEG-6 in order to craft their advertisement slots they want to broadcast between satellite feeds.

My mistake was to fill may partitions as FAT32 and so when I had space to unarchive to WinRAR refused to expand the files to the HD unless it were a NTFS drive. I then had to make room for the file on another partition and then make more room on my C: drive and then expand the files to my C: drive (a NTFS partitioned HD space) which resulted in 4.+++GB used for unarchiving one file demanding me to then burn a DVD disc and remove the files. I later became smart to get me a enclosure and it connects when I turn it on and is always present as a HDD letter on explorer regardless if it is on or not then my networking ability got me access to my other four computers using wireless and ethernet. I did not need the yellow cable, I connect at 52,000 Kbps and this is with all computers and all are online. My Win98se failed installation of a new HDD and which I tried to install Windows 2000 onto and that eventually crashed as Windows 2000 crashes a lots. I removed the new HD and its in a enclosure now because I cannot boot from it. I have now replaced the original HD with another larger HD and have had to reinstall Win98se on it when Windows XP crashed I had tried that also and became frustrated when it did not boot Windows XP.

21. TimePlotter Registered Member

ALSO: My Windows 2000 disc contains 6,131 files, 193 folders and is 377 MB (395,374,592 bytes) in size. If you don't have a NTFS drive give up installing this system on that computer. This is 'Windows 2000 integrated with Service Pack 1'. You will have to upgrade what this is to all security upgrades etc. that will make the HD space consumed much more than what this is as its full of CAB's and they are archives.

Ensuring That No In-Doubt MS DTC Transactions Exist Before
    Installing Windows 2000
    If you used Microsoft Transaction Server on Windows 95 or Windows 98,
    you must ensure that no in-doubt MS DTC transactions exist on the
    Windows 95 or Windows 98 operating system before you install Windows
    2000. This is essential because installing Windows 2000 on a Windows
    95 or Windows 98 operating system changes the identity of MS DTC on
    that system. Other MS DTC systems are no longer able to communicate
    with MS DTC using its previous identity.

To ensure that no in-doubt MS DTC transactions exist on the Windows 95
    or Windows 98 operating system

1. Start the Microsoft Transaction Server Explorer, and use the
    Transaction List screen to verify that no in-doubt transactions
    exist on your computer.

2. If any in-doubt transactions exist, you must resolve them using
    the procedure for "Resolving MTS Transactions," which is
    described in the Microsoft Transaction Server Administrator's
    Guide. This guide is available on the
    Microsoft Transaction Server CD.

For more information, see "Networking and Communications" in
    Readme.doc, located in the Windows 2000 CD root directory.

File and Registry Permissions Are Changed During Upgrade
    The default security settings for a clean installation are also applied when you upgrade to Windows 2000. Applying the same default security settings ensures that access permissions for the registry and for Windows 2000 system directories and files are set consistently. However, if the default security settings are not sufficient after you upgrade to Windows 2000, you should reapply any custom settings that you applied before the upgrade.

Active Directory Domain Name Length Restriction
    The fully-qualified DNS name of an Active Directory domain, for example example.microsoft.com, is restricted to 64 USC Transformation Format 8 (UTF-8) bytes in length. This limit does not apply to computer names.
    One ASCII character is equal to one UTF-8 byte in length. Non-ASCII characters, such as other Unicode characters, have a variable length encoding that can be up to three bytes in length. To estimate the size of a name in bytes, count each ASCII character as one byte and each non-ASCII character as three bytes.
    Before you deploy Active Directory, verify that all of your planned domain names do not exceed 64 UTF-8 bytes in length.

File Systems
    After you convert a FAT file system to NTFS, all files and folders are set with the following Access Control List (ACL):
    · Administrators Full Control (not inherited)
    · System Full Control (not inherited)
    · Everyone Full Control (inheritable)

You can fix the inheritance settings at the root of the volume in Microsoft Explorer.
    To fix the inheritance settings at the root of the volume in Microsoft Explorer
    1. In Microsoft Explorer, right-click the root directory, and then click Properties.
    2. On the Security tab, click Advanced.
    3. Double-click the Administrators entry.
    4. On the Permission Entry page, change Apply onto: to This folder, subfolders and files.
    5. Double-click the System entry.
    6. On the Permission Entry page, change Apply onto: to This folder, subfolders and files.
    7. Click OK.

Backup
    This section describes known issues that apply to Windows 2000 Backup.

Target Must Be as Large as the Original Backup Drive
    You must perform the restore operation on partitions that are the same size (or larger) as the partitions that are backed up. In some cases, Windows 2000 Backup may run out of disk space while restoring to the same volume. As a workaround, make sure that sufficient free space is available for the restore operation. When Backup restores active files, it requires some extra disk space. Backup restores files to temporary locations, and then moves them to the correct location when you restart the computer. This process also requires extra disk space.

Restoring Applications with Long File Names
    In some cases, when you restore application with long file names, Microsoft Office applications may fail after the restore operation. This failure occurs because some components (specifically Office) register the location of their binaries in the registry using the short name (8.3 name). This short name may point to an incorrect location after the application is restored because the short name generation is based upon which application was installed first. Therefore, after you restart the computer, you must reinstall the applications that failed.

Wireless LAN Devices—Upgrading from Windows 95 or Windows 98 to Windows 2000
    During the upgrade process from Windows 95 or Windows 98, site-specific configurations (SSIDs) for wireless LAN cards do not get upgraded. In order to regain connectivity after the upgrade, you must reapply the site-specific settings.
    You can access the configuration for any adapter from the Device Manager by using the Advanced Properties tab. You can also use some vendor-supplied utilities that are designed for this task.

The NTFS file system is the recommended file system for use with
    Windows 2000. NTFS has all of the basic capabilities of FAT, and it
    provides the following advantages over the FAT and FAT 32 file
    systems:

* Better file security.
    * Better disk compression.
    * Support for large hard disks, up to 2 terabytes (TB). (The
    maximum drive size for NTFS is much greater than that for FAT,
    and as drive size increases, performance with NTFS doesn't
    degrade as it does with FAT.)

If you're using a dual-boot configuration (using both Windows 2000
    and another operating system on the same computer), you may not be
    able to gain access to files on NTFS partitions from the other
    operating system on your computer. For this reason, you should
    probably use FAT32 or FAT if you want a dual-boot configuration.

For more information about dual booting, see "Dual-Boot
    Configuration," later in this readme series.

FAT and FAT32
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------

FAT32 is an enhanced version of the FAT file system that can be used
    on drives from 512 megabytes (MB) to 2 TB in size. FAT and FAT32 offer
    compatibility with operating systems other than Windows 2000. If
    you're setting up a dual-boot configuration, you should probably use
    FAT or FAT32.

If you're dual booting Windows 2000 and another operating system,
    choose a file system based on the other operating system, using the
    following criteria:

* Format the partition as FAT if the installation partition is
    smaller than 2 gigabytes (GB), or if you're dual booting
    Windows 2000 with MS-DOS(r), Windows 3.1, Windows 95,
    Windows 98, or Windows NT. It's recommended that you use NTFS
    rather than FAT32 for partitions larger than 32 GB.
    * Use FAT32 for use on partitions that are 2 GB or larger. If you
    choose to format using FAT during Windows 2000 Setup and your
    partition is greater than 2 GB, Setup automatically formats
    it as FAT32.

For more information about file systems and dual booting, see
    "Dual-Boot Configuration," later in this readme series.

Disk Partitions

Disk partitioning is a way of dividing your hard disk so that each
    section functions as a separate unit. You can create a partition to
    organize information, for example, to back up data, or to dual boot
    with another operating system. When you create partitions on a disk,
    you divide the disk into one or more areas that can be formatted for
    use by a file system, such as FAT or NTFS.

For more detailed information, see "File Systems," earlier in this
    readme series.

If you're performing a new installation, Windows 2000 Setup
    automatically selects an appropriate disk partition-unless you click
    Advanced Options during Setup and specify otherwise. A hard disk can
    contain up to four partitions.

Configuring Disk Partitions

Depending on your existing hard disk configuration, you have the
    following options during Setup:

* If the hard disk is unpartitioned, you can create and size the
    Windows 2000 partition.
    * If the existing partition is large enough, you can install
    Windows 2000 on that partition.
    * If the existing partition is too small, but you have adequate
    unpartitioned space, you can create a new Windows 2000
    partition in that space.
    * If the hard disk has an existing partition, you can delete it to
    create more unpartitioned disk space for the Windows 2000
    partition. Deleting an existing partition also erases any data
    on that partition.

If you're setting up a dual-boot configuration of Windows 2000
    Professional, it's important to install Windows 2000 on its own
    partition. Installing Windows 2000 on the same partition as another
    operating system may cause Setup to overwrite files installed by the
    other operating system.

Sizing Disk Partitions

Although Windows 2000 requires a minimum of 500 MB of free disk space
    for installation, using a large installation partition provides
    flexibility for adding future updates, operating system tools, or
    other files.

During Setup, you should create and size only the partition on which
    you want to install Windows 2000. After Windows 2000 is installed, you
    can use Disk Management to make changes or create new partitions on
    your hard disk.

For more information about Disk Management, see Windows 2000 Help.

Converting vs. Reformatting Existing Disk Partitions

Before you run Setup, decide whether you want to keep, convert, or
    reformat an existing partition. The default option for an existing
    partition is to keep the existing file system intact, thus preserving
    all files on that partition.

If you decide to convert or reformat, you need to select an
    appropriate file system (NTFS, FAT, or FAT32). The following
    guidelines should help you decide.

Important: Before you change file systems on a partition, you should
    back up the information on the partition because reformatting the
    partition deletes the existing data.

Should I convert my existing partition to NTFS?

You can convert an existing partition to NTFS during Setup to make use
    of Windows 2000 security. You can also convert file systems from FAT
    to NTFS at any time after Setup by using Convert.exe from the command
    prompt. This option preserves your existing files, but only if
    Windows 2000 has access to files on that partition.
    Use this option if:

* You want to take advantage of NTFS features such as security,
    disk compression, and so on.
    * You aren't dual booting with another operating system-other than
    Windows NT 4.0 Service Pack 4 (SP4) or later, which can use a
    Windows 2000 NTFS partition.

For more information about dual booting, see "Dual-Boot
    Configuration," later in this readme series.

Should I always use NTFS for my file system?

NTFS is the recommended file system for Windows 2000. However, there
    are specific reasons that you might want to use another file system.
    If you format a partition with NTFS, only Windows 2000 can gain access
    to files subsequently created on that partition. If you plan to access
    files from other operating systems (including MS-DOS), you should
    choose to install a FAT file system.

For more detailed information, see "File Systems," earlier in this
    readme series.

What happens if I reformat my existing partition?

Reformatting a partition erases all existing files on that partition.
    Make sure to back up your files before you reformat a partition.

Important: To convert an NTFS partition to FAT, you must first back
    up all of your files, reformat the partition as FAT (which erases all
    the files), and then restore the files from backup. You can't restore
    an NTFS partition created in Windows NT after you convert it to the
    version of NTFS used in Windows 2000. To convert a FAT partition to
    FAT32, you must first back up all your files, reformat the partition
    as FAT32 (which erases all the files), and then restore the files
    from backup.

Dual-Boot Configuration

You can also set up a multiboot configuration, with more than two
    operating systems on one computer.

If you use a dual-boot configuration on your computer, you can choose
    between operating systems (or between versions of the same operating
    system) every time you start your computer.

Windows 2000 supports dual booting with the following operating
    systems:

* Windows NT 3.51, Windows NT 4.0
    * Windows 95, Windows 98
    * Windows 3.1, Windows for Workgroups 3.11
    * MS-DOS
    * OS/2

To set up a dual-boot configuration, you must use a separate
    partition for each operating system. During Windows 2000 Setup, you
    can use the Advanced Setup option to select a folder on an unused
    partition.

For more detailed information about configuring your computer to dual
    boot, see the Windows 2000 Professional Resource Kit.

IMPORTANT: It's strongly recommended that you create an Emergency
    Repair Disk before you install another operating system on your
    computer.

Before You Dual Boot

If you want to set up a dual-boot configuration to have Windows 2000
    Professional and another operating system, such as MS-DOS or
    Windows 98, available on your computer, first review the following
    precautions:

* Each operating system should be installed on a separate drive or
    disk partition.
    * Because you're performing a new installation of Windows 2000, you
    need to reinstall any programs-such as word processing or
    e-mail software-after Setup is complete.
    * You should use a FAT file system for dual-boot configurations.
    Although using NTFS in a dual boot is supported, such a
    configuration introduces additional complexity into the choice
    of file systems. For more information about using NTFS with a
    dual-boot configuration, see the Windows 2000 Professional
    Resource Kit.
    * To set up a dual-boot configuration between MS-DOS or Windows 95
    and Windows 2000, you should install Windows 2000 last.
    Otherwise, important files needed to start Windows 2000
    could be overwritten.

For a dual boot between Windows 98 and Windows 2000, it isn't
    necessary to install the operating systems in a particular order.

* For a dual boot of Windows 2000 with Windows 95 or MS-DOS, the
    primary partition must be formatted as FAT; for a dual
    boot with Windows 95 OSR2 or Windows 98, the primary partition
    must be formatted as FAT or FAT32, not NTFS.
    * If you're upgrading a dual-boot computer, you can't gain access
    to NTFS partitions from any operating system other than
    Windows NT 4.0 with SP4.
    * If you install Windows 2000 on a computer that dual boots OS/2
    and MS-DOS, Windows 2000 Setup configures your system so you
    can dual boot between Windows 2000 Professional and the
    operating system (MS-DOS or OS/2) you most recently used
    before running Windows 2000 Setup.
    * Don't install Windows 2000 on a compressed drive unless the drive
    was compressed with the NTFS file
    system compression utility.

It isn't necessary to uncompress DriveSpace(r) or DoubleSpace(r)
    volumes if you plan to dual boot with Windows 95 or Windows 98;
    however, the compressed volume won't be available while you're
    running Windows 2000.

* Windows 95 or Windows 98 might reconfigure hardware settings the
    first time you use them, which can cause problems if
    you're dual booting with Windows 2000.
    * If you want your programs to run on both operating systems on a
    dual-boot computer, you need to install them from within each
    operating system. You can't share programs across operating
    systems.

Dual Booting with Windows NT

If you plan a dual-boot configuration with Windows NT and
    Windows 2000, first review the following precautions:

* If the dual-boot computer is part of a Windows NT or Windows 2000
    domain, each installation of Windows NT Workstation or
    Windows 2000 Professional must have a different computer name.
    * If your hard disk is formatted with only NTFS partitions, it's
    not recommended that you dual boot Windows 2000 with Windows NT.
    * If you're using NTFS and dual booting with Windows NT, you must
    upgrade to Windows NT 4.0 SP4 or later before continuing
    with the Windows 2000 installation.

22. AntonK Technomage Registered Senior Member

I was under the impression that we locked any thread that was simply looking for pirated software. Regardless of your opinion on the matter, this forum is NOT the place for it. I vote lock.

23. Voodoo Child Registered Senior Member

Agreed. Especially when the poster gets all anal when the topic shifts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.