Ribs and Monkies, oh my!

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Teg, Mar 13, 2002.

1. Teg Unknown Citizen Registered Senior Member

I am always asked: "How can you believe we came from monkies?" I respond by pointing out the fact they have misinterpreted the theory. I tell them that we did originate from apes but rather an ape like creature that links the two offshoot species. I have now a complimentary response: you are willing to believe that woman originated from a rib and yet it is impossible to believe that we have a common ancestor with a monkey. I suppose one of the hallmarks of religion is the lack of rationality.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Markx Registered Senior Member

But what religion are you talking about? Not all the religions beleive that women came from the rib. Also I heard that man and monkeys both have 360 joints? Can any one confirm this?
    Thanks

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Teg Unknown Citizen Registered Senior Member

Markx

No. They just have other curious claims. I only attack the Christian religion because it is the most known to me. All religions have women as a second fiddle to the obviously superior male.

How many times is the god of christians refferred to as "he."

The belief system of some African cultures hold that the only way to cure oneself of AIDS is by mating with a virgin. People of Jewish faith cannot eat meat and cheese at the same instance. Those of Islamic faith force their women to wear substantial amounts of covering. Some factions also have extremely harsh penalties against extramarital affairs. All theocracies have failed. Every instance of religious fervor has resulted in violence.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Markx Registered Senior Member

Re: Markx

I agree with you. But should be blame any religion for this? or the followers, who like to justify what they want? How ever I do agree with you that, pretty much all the religions gave women second degree status. I mean look at us here we talk about women rights and crap all the time but women is still second degree person. I just watch this program on tv last nite " Without a Trace " it was about a murder of a girl name katrina and how this man thinks of her that she is nothing and his hatered towards females etc etc.
    I don't know about afircan or Jewish culture very much, but what you mention is more sound like a superstition of their society then a religion. Then you mention Muslams, there is no where in Quran it says that they should cover that much or they should cover their face etc etc. There are some guide lines but I am sure nothing of that nature. And yes pre marital sex's punishment is pretty strick, but do you also know that it is not that simple?. I mean you have to have 4 witnesses who will say that ,yes they saw it or the couple admit it to them? And then the punishment is not only for women, it is same for men as well.
    By the way I am asking again can some one confirm how many joints do mokeys and humans have?
    Thanks.

8. blonde_cupid Registered Senior Member

Teg,

***I tell them that we did [not] originate from apes but rather an ape like creature that links the two offshoot species.***

With respect to apes and the ape-like creatures that links the two offshoot species... do the males have one less rib than the female?

P.S.... How about monkeys?

9. Cupric What's a wookie? Registered Senior Member

Greetings Teg,

A small correction...

Not quite all. Most, perhaps, but not quite all.

Look into the Pagan and Neo-Pagan religions, many of these religions revere either a supreme Goddess, or a God and Goddess pair of deities that are roughly equal (usually with the Goddess being the more authoritative of the two).

These religions often have a creation story that involves a female creatrix that gives birth to the world and all life.

I'm sure I can find a few links, if anybody is interested...

10. Xev Registered Senior Member

Yep.

http://216.87.9.200/resources/resources/156677246093.asp

Cupric:

Of course, with the neo-pagan religions that was an intentional reaction to the feminist movement.

Also Hinduism. Shiva is female, and Hindu religious/sexual practices give a high status to the woman.

And the ancient Egyptian 'mythology'. The Norse and Greeks to a lesser extent.

Joints:

http://yucky.kids.discovery.com/noflash/body/pg000124.html

*Grins* It's not exactly a textbook, but......

Sorry no dice on monkey joints.

And, blondecupid, males and females have the same number of ribs in apes and monkeys.

Now, is it really true that, even after cadavers had been dissected and Vesalius published his work on the skeleton, textbooks still showed women with one fewer rib? Or is that an urban legand?

11. Bebelina kospla.com Valued Senior Member

It´s obvious that men come from monkeys...they haven´t evolved much either, but women...we are far more sophisticated and divine by nature.

12. Teg Unknown Citizen Registered Senior Member

My slip. For what it's worth there were native american tribes that had women at a higher station than men. There are also a bunch of statues made be paleolithic cultures that for reasons not yet known take the form of women 95% of the time. I was speaking in the general sense of structuring. Cults I wouldn't know about as there are an abundance beyond my capacity to track.
    Secops Yeknom Lairt!

Also looking back to any proof for genesis I have heard of an island (maybe Bahrein?) that has snakes that Christians are trying to pawn off as paradise in their desperate struggle to prove their myths. Just think how much legitimate excavation is being put on hold looking for the tower of Babylon and Noah's ark.

I can imagine the scenarios of Christian archeologists digging only to find more dinosaur bones.

13. Markx Registered Senior Member

oh joy..........

Are you single??

14. blonde_cupid Registered Senior Member

***I have now a complimentary response: you are willing to believe that woman originated from a rib and yet it is impossible to believe that we have a common ancestor with a monkey. I suppose one of the hallmarks of religion is the lack of rationality.***

I think it might have been irrational to assume that if God used Adam's rib to create Eve then men would have one less rib. After all, if I lose a toe during my lifetime, I would not expect my offspring to be born missing a toe.

However, there is more to the rib than meets the eye.

For example, plastic surgeons can use rib bone, repeatedly, in reconstructive surgeries. If the surgeon leaves the periosteum in tact then the rib can grow back and the surgeon can go in again at a later date for more bone.

The periosteum is a membrane that covers bones and it contains cells that can manufacture new bone. Relatively speaking, the periosteum surrounding the rib has an extraordinary ability to regenerate bone when compared to the periosteum surrounding other bones. So, depending on the age of the patient and the care used when removing the rib, the rib often grows back in whole or in part.

15. inquisitive_one Registered Member

rib thing

I wish I knew the answer to the rib thing-
    I agree iwith the cut off a toe and kin wouldn;t have one less toe, but these are the FIRST people supposedly- and you never know-
    I have heard some (evolution believers) say that God made the monkeys that we evolved from so... that doesn't mean that evolution means no God....that is not my opinion though.....

16. everneo Re-searcher Registered Senior Member

yes, yes... men came from monkeys of the earth and women came from monkeys of Venus...

17. Raithere plagued by infinities Valued Senior Member

No, no... Men are from Uranus and Women are from Pluto.

~Raithere

18. TheVisitor The Journey is the Reward Registered Senior Member

The missing link

In responce to your statement that you beleived man evolved from some species - an "ape like creature", Please read my reply under Psydoscience/bible, ufos,ect../Giants.
    There was a missing link involved. There was a species capable of mixing with humans, between man and ape and it was called the serpent. The definition for serpent in some arabic languages is still ape or ape-like. Click on this link and read the post : Giants by The Vistor

http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17604

19. Nightpoet Registered Senior Member

Shiva's a hermaphrodite

20. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

If you, by your own admission, do not know much about any religion other than Christianity, then you really shouldn't make blanket statements for "All" religions.

Not only is this statement incorrect, but it makes you look as if you don't know what you are talking about and basing your ideas on assumptions and prejudices and that could cause people to nat take what you are saying seriously (whether or not you have a valid point).

Siddhatta Gtama, the original Buddha, began an order of monks which contained both male and female monks.
    There is nothing in the teachings of Buddha that is mysogynistic in any way.
    That is just one example, not the only one.

21. UltiTruth In pursuit... Registered Senior Member

No, no. Shiva is a male, who demonstrated the true nature of God is not just male or female.
    However, the concept of Hinduism is that the supreme is an all-powerful female called "Shakthi" (meaning Universal power), from which the Trinity (Creator-Brahma, Maintainer-Vishnu, and Destroyer-Siva) was derived.
    The trinity is all male and each of them is complemented by three females (Saraswathi, Lakshmi and Parvati respectively). All temples have both the male and female deities, apart from some temples being purely dedicated to the female deity in various forms.
    The biggest power is of course, the female Shakthi.

22. Neville Registered Senior Member

hey good point Teq!