Is a believe in a super greater power not faith in God?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Skater, Jan 2, 2007.

1. Skater Banned Banned

I meet a lot of people that tell me they are not religious but believe in a super - natural power.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Oniw17 ascetic, sage, diogenes, bum? Valued Senior Member

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

ONe needn't belong to a religion to believe in God.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Oniw17 ascetic, sage, diogenes, bum? Valued Senior Member

There's alos a belief in destiny, karma/dharma, and other 'super greater powers.' Oh, and I think the sun could be a super greater power.

8. lightgigantic Banned Banned

there is the argument that whatever we perceive of as the greatest thing in this existence innately automatically calls forth all the paraphernalia of what we term 'worship' - eg - ritual, idols, awe, dependence for existence, proselytising etc - for instance the way society has responded to technology seems to indicate a religious phenomena - it also explains why island tribes worship the sun and even why the cargo cults worshipped WW2 freight carriers, as well as why you can buy mobile phone toys full of jelly beans for kids

BTW - just because the paraphernalia for worship manifests, it does not mean that the worshipable object is truly worshipful

Last edited: Jan 2, 2007
  9. Adstar Valued Senior Member

No they are nature worshippers. They do not acknowledge God but have replaced Him with a force.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

10. nds1 Registered Senior Member

1,000's of years ago, I think some societies used to worship different God's of different aspects, and would sacrifice live animals (and sometimes people) to them. For example, in order to assure a good harvest they would worship and sacrifice to the God of Agriculture. Assuming there is only one God, could these societies have still had "faith" in that same God through having faith in the different God's they worshipped?

11. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

But all the above are examples of 'faith'. If one 'believes' without any experiential data then it becomes a matter of 'faith' which is the belief in something without any perceivable data except those ones mind has accepted without proof (yes this can include the idea that there is no god). I don't have to 'believe' in a cell phone, I have one, I know what they are for and who made it, I can go to the factory where they are manufactured and even ask someone about the man-made technology that created it etc. Through the use of a cell phone I understand its function but it isn't worshipped because I know that a show of worship will not bring on badly needed rain, take the pain out of my heart, promise me an afterlife or cure disease. Faith is an acceptance without knowledge.

I do agree that one doesn't necessarily need a religion to believe in god but one does need faith unless of course that person is lucky enough to experience god in some way or fashion, even if it be by watching the process of all nature of which we are apart, but then to do that means to accept 'god' or the process as is without trying to adapt it to a morality or some wishful thinking about what its supposed to mean or adding to what we don't know, for example having a specific idea of what happens after death whithout knowledge of death.

12. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

M*W: I believe the ancients worshipping the sun was the theogenesis of all manmade religions. (They are ALL manmade, BTW.)

13. nds1 Registered Senior Member

Interesting points Lucysnow.

You stated that:

Such as, a pillar of a cloud, a pillar of fire, a burning bush, an entire sea being parted, a vision, a transfiguration, etc., etc., etc...

According to your statement (which I fully agree with), Lucysnow, then Moses, Abraham, the 12 apostles, the entire people of Israel involved in the exodus from Egypt, and thousands of other people didn't need "faith" to believe in God.

For the other 99% of the world who hasn't experienced God in some way or fashion, then it is based on faith.

14. scorpius a realist Valued Senior Member

like Superman for example?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

what does it mean "supernatural" anyways?

everything that exist is natural!

15. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

nds1: According to your statement (which I fully agree with), Lucysnow, then Moses, Abraham, the 12 apostles, the entire people of Israel involved in the exodus from Egypt, and thousands of other people didn't need "faith" to believe in God.

Well I am not an expert on Moses nor the apostles, I am simply saying that if one needs to have faith its because they don't know. Lack of knowledge necessitates the need of faith.

Scorpius: everything that exist is natural!

Yes and if one were an animist they would see every living thing on the planet and every object as being an aspect of god which would make everything holy. An animist would look at the deer being killed by a wild cat as the natural order of things, they would look on a tsunami killing thousands in the same light. They wouldn't need faith to comprehend or feel comfortable with life. Faith is an existential crutch.

...and no I am not an animist as I have a problem with the notion of 'soul' and 'spirit' in which people seem to have so much 'faith'.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2007