An Unacceptable Rule

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by MetaKron, Jan 1, 2007.

1. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?t=61125

This is in the Biology and Genetics forum.

The problem is that this sets up a situation in which there is one set of rules for some people and another set for another. No one is going to, and no one should be held responsible to read every thread to find out what the moderator has ruled on. It would seem that in the HIV thread I may be required to provide sources for every little thing like a statement about the way someone was treated in the media while those who are on the other side of the controversy aren't required to prove anything. Once more, no level playing field for ideas.

There is currently no rule in the rules and guidelines saying that I have to show sources for everything that I say or risk removal. If there were how would the moderator enforce it? Would he enforce it?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Alva Urbanus et instructus Registered Senior Member

It's like this all over the world, and for a reason too. Because even if you have all the proof leading to something, there is still the impossible to deny fact it may still be wrong. In which case it makes this more acceptable as so everyone can clarify certain points for themselves.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. leopold Valued Senior Member

metakron,
    do you believe the science forums should be held to a higher level of excellence than free thoughts?

what is it about the thread in question do you disagree with?
    all anybody can do is put forth their arguements, they cannot cange laws or reverse time or alter physics.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

I disagree with making up rules on the spot that won't go into the forum's rules and guidelines. This "I told you" stuff makes one set of rules for some participants and different sets of rules for others.

8. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

I also disagree with holding two sides of the controversy to different standards. Spurious holds the "orthodox" side of the AIDS controversy to no standards at all, a condition that no responsible reporter or researcher would want even for their own work. He's trying to hold me to strict standards for any casual statement. The point is to use his moderator's powers to harass dissidents out of the conversation.

That whole blow-up was because people from the dissident side have been sick and tired of this treatment for a long time. In AIDS there is actually a sort of governing body that thinks that it has the right to mistreat anyone who contradicts its edicts. Spurious has been acting as one of those people. He has been playing headgames. His "resignation" seems not to be genuine, and he seems to be planning to do exactly as he did before, and that is to make me chase my own ass and then cesspool threads that I worked hard on. It is a form of deliberate mental torture. It is abuse of a user. It is wrong.

9. Bells Staff Member

Worked hard on? You haven't provided any proof. I'd hardly consider typing working hard. After all, if you have proof to back up your claims, you should have nothing to hide.

I provided proof of the opposing view to your own in that thread. If I didn't, I'd imagine Spurious would tell me to. If you are making scientific claims, don't you think you should provide some back up for such claims instead of expecting us to rely on your unsubstantiated words alone?

His rules apply to everyone in that thread and presumably the biology forum. Why are you saying it's not? Everyone who has posted a different view in that thread or has made a claim about AIDS/HIV has provided proof of it, except for you. Why should you be the exception?

10. SkinWalker Archaeology / Anthropology Moderator

So don't post there. Try the Pseudoscience forum or another forum all together. There are any number of conspiracy theorist sites you can post at.

11. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Dear Metakron,

I'm terribly sorry if I offended your sensibilities by asking you to substantiate your sentiment.

regards,

your friendly biology & genetics moderator.

ps.
    To be honest when I refered to the rules in the HIV/AIDS thread in one of your posts I was myself more thinking about this rule:
    13. Propaganda

For the purposes of this forum, "propaganda" is defined as material copied verbatim from other web sites, books or articles, which demonstrates clear bias for or against a particular scientific idea or organization. It does not include articles which examine an issue objectively, without a particular religious or political bias.

Posts consisting solely or partly of propaganda, as defined, may be edited or deleted as appropriate to remove the propaganda. Links to other sites on the web which demonstrate this kind of bias may also be deleted.

Original material posted by sciforums members will not be regarded as propaganda, provided that any arguments made for or against a particular view are supported by evidence and appropriate references to source material.

Moderators will have regard to the percentage of original material in a post in taking any decision to edit or delete it. Members who post their own views will be treated with greater respect and a lighter hand than those who merely cut-and-paste the views of others.

I will try to put more effort into being more specific in the 2007. I hope you can do the same.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2007
  12. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

I think you're still playing the same game.

13. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

You are playing the game over the backs of million of suffering and dying people.

I rate you on the same level as Holocaust denialists. And with that I leave you to your macabre games.

14. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

The game that you are playing here is quite unacceptable, Spurious. You redefine terms like "trolling", "plagiarism", and "propaganda" to serve your own sick agenda. You deliberately disrupt threads using the pretense of moderation. You have been abusing your moderator status since you started.

Resign.

15. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

Also, isn't Tiassa a sock puppet of SpuriousMonkey and why does a moderator have a sock puppet who is also a moderator?

16. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

Heh. The very thought.

Hilarious.

17. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

I wish you would leave, damn you.

18. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

You're really losing it, man.

19. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

Spurious had something about it in his signature but he's changed that.

20. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Maybe he was fucking with you.
    He's not Tiassa. They hate each other. Big feud long time ago.

21. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

Well, I didn't think that I knew for sure one way or the other. I don't even remember what exactly his signature said about Tiassa.

Everything that I have told you for certain about Spuriousmonkey is true. I don't know how long it is going to take you or the rest of the board to realize this, but he is exactly what I said he is. I have told you the truth about AIDS, what little he would let me say, and I have told you the truth about him.

22. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Metakron.
    No.
    I'm sorry.
    But no.
    You're wrong.
    I'm stepping out of this discussion. I've tried.
    I'm sorry.

23. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

Just about all that I have left to say about Spuriousmonkey is that he is moderating his forum under false pretenses.