Prophesy of Moses in the Old Testament

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by nds1, Dec 28, 2006.

1. nds1 Registered Senior Member

Jesus stated in John 5:46 that "For had ye believed Moses, ye would have believed me: for he wrote of me." So he is stating here that Moses wrote of him, or prophesized his coming.

Below is the only text out of the entire Bible in which Moses mentions something which could be what Jesus was referring to. See Below:

Deut 18:15-22
    15 The LORD thy God will raise up unto thee a Prophet from the midst of thee, of thy brethren, like unto me; unto him ye shall hearken;
    16 According to all that thou desiredst of the LORD thy God in Horeb in the day of the assembly, saying, Let me not hear again the voice of the LORD my God, neither let me see this great fire any more, that I die not.
    17 And the LORD said unto me, They have well spoken that which they have spoken.
    18 I will raise them up a Prophet from among their brethren, like unto thee, and will put my words in his mouth; and he shall speak unto them all that I shall command him.
    19 And it shall come to pass, that whosoever will not hearken unto my words which he shall speak in my name, I will require it of him.
    20 But the prophet, which shall presume to speak a word in my name, which I have not commanded him to speak, or that shall speak in the name of other gods, even that prophet shall die.
    21 And if thou say in thine heart, How shall we know the word which the LORD hath not spoken?
    22 When a prophet speaketh in the name of the LORD, if the thing follow not, nor come to pass, that is the thing which the LORD hath not spoken, but the prophet hath spoken it presumptuously: thou shalt not be afraid of him.
    KJV

This is very interesting. I don't see anywhere in this text any talk of a "Messiah", I only see talk of another "prophet." There is no mention of a man which will come who will save the world, or which would have supernatural powers and would be able to perform miracles.

Was Moses talking about Jesus here, or some other prophet?

Also if he was talking about Jesus, was he referring to Jesus as the Son of God, or as another prophet like Abraham, Moses, etc.?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. nds1 Registered Senior Member

Deut 18:15

15 The LORD thy God will raise up unto thee a Prophet from the midst of thee, of thy brethren, like unto me; unto him ye shall hearken;

So Moses is saying here that the Lord will raise up another prophet after he dies, and the people should hearken unto him.

Read below, after Moses died:

Deut 34:8-10
    8 And the children of Israel wept for Moses in the plains of Moab thirty days: so the days of weeping and mourning for Moses were ended.

9 And Joshua the son of Nun was full of the spirit of wisdom; for Moses had laid his hands upon him: and the children of Israel hearkened unto him, and did as the LORD commanded Moses.

10 And there arose not a prophet since in Israel like unto Moses, whom the LORD knew face to face,
    KJV

Joshua is the new prophet, and the people hearkened unto him. So it isn't Jesus then, it is Joshua. Okay problem solved.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. IceAgeCivilizations Banned Banned

No reason to think the later passage is talking about Joshua, and the earlier ones about Jesus.

The earlier passages are the Messianic ones, Jews today will tell you this, and it's interesting that the name Jesus is Joshua in Hebrew, the man who took them into the Promised Land.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. nds1 Registered Senior Member

IceAge, is it possible that the old testament was larger during Jesus' time?

8. IceAgeCivilizations Banned Banned

The Book of Jasher is cited in the Bible as a good historical reference, but apparently, it still didn't rate to be seen as part of the Word of God.

9. SnakeLord snakeystew.com Valued Senior Member

It's not interesting at all because the name jesus is not joshua in Hebrew. They are similar sure but not the same:

Y'hoshua --------- Yahshua

10. SetiAlpha6 Come Let Us Reason Together Valued Senior Member

Deut 18:20-22

20 But the prophet, which shall presume to speak a word in my name, which I have not commanded him to speak, or that shall speak in the name of other gods, even that prophet shall die.
    21 And if thou say in thine heart, How shall we know the word which the LORD hath not spoken?
    22 When a prophet speaketh in the name of the LORD, if the thing follow not, nor come to pass, that is the thing which the LORD hath not spoken, but the prophet hath spoken it presumptuously: thou shalt not be afraid of him.

Perhaps this part really is a prophecy about Jesus since the prophecies that Jesus made about his own return did not come to pass. He was a false prophet. And he really did die just like verse 20 predicts. The mystery is solved?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. IceAgeCivilizations Banned Banned

A "false prophet" (then) whom the Muslims revere.

12. SetiAlpha6 Come Let Us Reason Together Valued Senior Member

That is correct, Ice!

13. IceAgeCivilizations Banned Banned

Why would anyone want to revere a "false prophet?"

14. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

As opposed to revering a myth?

15. TheVisitor The Journey is the Reward Registered Senior Member

The Son of Man.
    That's the office of a prophet that was prophecied of Him to fulfill in this day.

He was not prophecied to come in this day as the Son of God.
    Read the scripture again for yourself instead of letting some priest dictate it to you.

He came as the Son of Man, and they missed Him.......all but those who He came to.
    This is bringing about the manifestation of the Sons of God.
    Not Son of God, Sons of God.
    The revealing of the Son of Man is the former and latter rain, bring the Sons of God to maturity......at this harvest.
    The manifestation of the Sons of God that Paul wrote all creation has waited for until this day.
    The day of the Lord.

Christianity had this as mixed up and confused as the Jews did in His first coming.
    That's why the Christians also missed their day of visitation.
    He came as a theif in the night.

That is the way "theives in the night do" they come and go, and you don't realize they have been there and got what they came for until later......after the fact.

In this case those still looking will accept the false second coming of the anti-Christ, doing signs, wonders, and miracles bring fire down from heaven in the sight of man, ect....
    The false anointed ones have the power of God through the genuine Holy Spirit, but they are false at the core.
    By their fruits which is their teachings...you shall know them.

All who's name are not written on the Lamb's Book of life from the foundation of the world shall be.....SHALL BE decived and worship the image to the beast......as God.
    Thinking it is the promised Messiah.
    But it will not be.
    The world has rejected the Son of Man, Jesus Christ.....who came as promised.
    Did He find Faith on the Earth?
    They missed the real one, and are primed and ready to accept the impersonation.

Has to be a real dollar bill first to copy in order to pass a counterfit.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2007
  16. SetiAlpha6 Come Let Us Reason Together Valued Senior Member

You Win! I do not know?

17. nds1 Registered Senior Member

TheVisitor,

Do you believe the entire Old Testament of the current Bible is genuine?

18. TheVisitor The Journey is the Reward Registered Senior Member

Absolutely....

It's natural types laid out for the spiritual in the New Testament.
    You have to know how to read the prophetic symbolism, what to take literally, and what to take symboliclly.....and how to properly interpret the symbolisms.
    For one example; their conquest of the giants in taking Canaan-
    It was an actual event but was orchestrated by God to lay down a spiritual "type".
    This event typed the spiritual seed's battle with demons in the "third exodus taking place today...the casting out from the wilderness of heaven the demonic element.
    The supernatural battle for your own soul.
    The greatest battle ever fought.

To do that takes the mind of Christ.
    The mind of the same one who wrote it, is the same mind that is needed to properly interpret it.
    It is sealed from the carnal minded's understanding.
    Like a symbolism in a dream.

You must be "born again" to "see" the kingdom of God.
    There is not one single contradiction in the entire Old or New Testament.

Only seems that way to those without understanding.

19. Kron Maxwell's demon Registered Senior Member

Convenient.

20. nds1 Registered Senior Member

TheVisitor,

Okay, thank you for the response. I'm not as familiar with the Old Testament as I would like to be, but I've been looking through it as of late in order to find anywhere Moses "wrote of Jesus." This is because Jesus stated in John 5:46 that "For had ye believed Moses, ye would have believed me: for he wrote of me."

TheVisitor, any way you could find for me anywhere in the Old Testament where Moses wrote of Jesus? Thanks.

21. TheVisitor The Journey is the Reward Registered Senior Member

The Bible is the Book of Life.
    Every single scripture is Jesus Christ.
    In type, shadow, prophecy, fulfillment of prophecy, ect...
    The believer is a part of Christ's body.

John 1:1-14
    In the beginning was the Word.
    The Word is God.
    Jesus is the Word.
    The Word was made flesh and dwelt among us.

Every Old Testament scripture is a revelation of Jesus Christ, so is every New Testament scripture.

He's not just in one scripture Moses wrote of Him or two, or three......
    Every scripture in the Book is Him.
    He is the Book.
    Jesus isn't just the Son of God, or a prophet.
    He is God.
    The Jehovah of the Old Testament is the Jesus Christ of the New.

But to try and more specifically answer your question, of what Moses wrote of Him...... after what I said above consider this;

When God came down in the cool of the evening and walked with Adam, it was Jesus.
    When Melchesidec talked with Abraham......it was Jesus.

When Moses saw the back of a man.....it was Jesus.
    Because Jesus is God.

Those other appearances was just God before He came born of a woman to be the sacrifice.

Before Jesus was born as a man, it was God appearing in a theophany, or in Word form....as the Logos of God, the Angel of the Lord.
    Another form He took would be Michael, a pre-incarnate form of Jesus.

So being that Moses by vision was allowed to write the first five books of the Old Testament, you can see what He said was true.

If you had known Moses, you would have known Me......

Last edited: Jan 3, 2007
  22. rrram2 Alpaca Farmer Registered Senior Member

Sorry Jesus Christ is no more God than I am God!

23. rrram2 Alpaca Farmer Registered Senior Member

TheVisitor, If christ was God then you are _NOT_ redeemed and are yet in your sins!

And if he was God how did he raise himself from the dead?

And if he did raise him self from the dead then he wasn't really dead.

And why does the OT say "No man has seen God at ANY time"

Remmeber here with GOD, he is _NOT_ subject to time and space and in fact
    for him there is NO time and NO space. So don't try to say at that time when it was said in the OT no man had seen God.

God is so much bigger than perhaps you can concieve, and certainly his totality could not be confined intop an small mortal body.