The superstition of prayers

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by ranger, Dec 18, 2006.

1. ranger Into the future Registered Senior Member

View video here

If you believe in making prayers and disagree with the video listed above I would like to know why and discuss about it?

Cheers

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Akottens Registered Member

for one, the concept of prayer is always true, and that does not disprove the concept of god. With the whole the same people that pray have the same statistics, well here's one thing, many people pray while not being a christian in the first place, fooled to thinking they are one.
    and the fact of the universe being here in the first place is another thing.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. ranger Into the future Registered Senior Member

I agree that not every person who pray is Christian.

Why the concept of prayer is always true?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Godless Objectivist Mind Registered Senior Member

8. LiveInFaith Registered Senior Member

Prayer works its own way. It's not supposed to substitute efforts or actions.
    I do pray, I know how it works.

9. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

10. KennyJC Registered Senior Member

It doesn't. Prayer is just the same concept as a lucky charm.

11. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Please, explain exactly how prayer works?

12. Ayodhya Registered Senior Member

Close your eyes, fold your hands and ask God for stuff?
    Personally, I just use it for meditation, but whatever...

13. LiveInFaith Registered Senior Member

I'm afraid I couldn't make clear explanation.
    I pray to convince myself that I'm blessed with my effort, and the effort goes the way it should be; to make no difficulties in finding (deliberately or of coincidence) solutions when facing problems.
    Establishing optimism while hardly working on any matters, maybe that's the short explanation.

14. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

I don't know whether it's been scientifically tested, but I think that when believers pray, chemical and or hormonal reactions occur in their brains giving them a sense of achievement and satisfaction.

I also believe that a not dissimilar but therapeutic psychological reaction occurs in the brains of the people that are being prayed for, assuming that they are conscious and aware of the prayers. It may be co-incidence but sometimes, people who are aware that they're being prayed for can show remarkable improvement to and even overcome serious disease. The power lies in their faith regardless of their religion, but the 'doctor' is in their heads.

15. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Ok, so once you've convinced yourself that you can muster effort and are optimistic, is there any reason to pray beyond that?

Is there also any reason why you can't simply rationalize, within your own mind, that mustering effort requires no prayer, but instead the simple logic of having to deal with problems? And that further one can rationalize that being optimistic will only serve in helping one to solve those problems?

16. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

One can rationalise oneself into almost anything.

Prayer however is similar to modern day affirmations.

Atheists merely substitute therapy for prayer.

17. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

It would appear more along the lines that theists could care less to resolve their problems for their own betterment, but instead would rather solve those problems to gain favor with their gods.

18. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

LOL. Good one.

19. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

No, one can't, if using rationale and reason. One can, however, rationalize anything with prayer.

20. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Rationale and reason are also colored by assumption of complete knowledge, bias towards a POV and personal objectives.

21. Ayodhya Registered Senior Member

Tablariddim, do you play Tabla or enjoy Tabla music?

http://www.medicomm.net/Consumer Site/am/prarthana.htm

Prayer may be a placebo. Those who believe in its healing effects perhaps have a positive outlook and then because of it, their immune systems are not bogged down with stress, etc. and so function better.

Q -
    Why can't athiests substitute therapy for prayer? Wouldn't they have the same effect?

22. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Complete nonsense. Theists already assume complete knowledge from their religions while those who use reason and rationale never assume such things.

23. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Why would atheists need therapy in the first place? What type of therapy?