Thread: 50,000 more troops to Iraq: the Keane-Kagan plan

Mourning in America madanthonywayne's Avatar

50,000 more troops to Iraq: the Keane-Kagan plan

The Iraq Study group findings are DOA with no chance at implementation. President Bush has decided on another plan to pacify Iraq. The Keane-Kagan plan. He intends a large increase in the US military presence to bring order to Baghdad and for US and Iraqi soldiers to stay in Baghdad after the fact to maintain order. From there, he will move on to the Sunni-majority Anbar province.
    Why would the Keane-Kagan plan succeed where earlier efforts failed? It envisions a temporary addition of 50,000 troops on the ground in Iraq. The initial mission would be to secure and hold the mixed Baghdad neighborhoods of Shia and Sunni residents where most of the violence occurs. Earlier efforts had cleared many of those sections of the city without holding them. After which, the mass killings resumed. Once neighborhoods are cleared, American and Iraqi troops in this plan would remain behind, living day-to-day among the population. Local government leaders would receive protection and rewards if they stepped in to provide basic services. Safe from retaliation by terrorists, residents would begin to cooperate with the Iraqi government. The securing of Baghdad would be followed by a full-scale drive to pacify the Sunni-majority Anbar province. http://www.weeklystandard.com/Conten...rxgyi.asp?pg=1
    Bush is expected to officially announce this plan early next month. Here's a link to the plan itself.:
    http://www.aei.org/publications/pubI...pub_detail.asp
    Of course, he'll have to get this thru congress, but this seems like a serious effort to put things right and I doubt congress will stand in the way.

Saudi Arabia will be relieved.

its 3 years too late to convince me.

scared! me? hummm? No,hihi. krakatoa's Avatar
    I am very sceptic about this. I think the would need a lot more, then this, and 3 years ago like the Devil Inside. Krakatoa.