Ban cell phone use while driving?

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by S.A.M., Dec 14, 2006.

?

Should cell phone use by drivers be banned?

1. Yes

54.2%
  2. No

16.7%
  3. Not Sure

8.3%
  4. Don't care

4.2%
  5. Some other option

16.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Whether it's being on the phone, applying makeup or changing the radio station, distractions can double chances of crashing, said the American Automobile Association.

AAA said driver distraction factors into 25 percent of crashes.

Four states, including the Washington D.C. area have already banned drivers from using cell phones, a move wireless companies are calling a mistake.

While the companies recognized a wireless device can be a distraction, their response was so can a whole lot of other things.

The Pennsylvania State Senate is also considering making use of a handheld phone while driving a secondary offense.

They plan to revive such legislation during the next session in January.
    http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/news/10527166/detail.html
    ----------
    What do you think?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

It's already illegal in some countries.

Companies should not complain.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Sauna Banned Banned

Better than a ban would be a device to incapacitate transmission while a vehicle is moving.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

I guess the american companies are sweating the threat of a ban because americans spend more time in their car than any other people (that i know of).

but they can stuff their greed up their fat arses as far as I am concerned. People talking on cell phones have accidents with people that do not talk on cell phones. No need to increase risks so a few people can discuss the weather.

8. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

This issue has arisen on SciForums in the past. Most of you are too young to remember citizen's band (CB) radios. Millions of people drove around carrying on conversations from the moment they entered the car or truck until the moment they got back out. Yet there was no epidemic of accidents caused by CB use. All the more surprising considering that they were holding the microphone in their right hand and driving with their left, and most people are right-handed.

What's the reason? CB radio sound comes through a speaker rather than an earpiece. Not only does it not block one ear, but it becomes part of the environment, a sound that can be perceptually put in its place within the auditory environment. Not so cell phones. They block one ear, so the sounds of the environment are heard through one ear and the other ear hears, for all practical purposes, only the sounds of the phone call.

Remember that each auditory nerve is connected to one brain hemisphere. What these people are experiencing is an artificial separation of the hemispheres, with each one processing different auditory stimuli. Worse, most people put the phone on their left ear, and in most people the left hemisphere is dominant, so the phone conversation gets perceptual and processing priority over the environment.

This is a formula for disaster. The way to reduce cell phone-related accidents is to outlaw HEADSETS! Make these doofuses listen to their nattering spouses and nagging bosses on a speaker. The way good red-blooded American truck drivers did!

9. oozish Banned Banned

Ban people from being used by cellphones.

10. Redefine91 I piss excellence Registered Senior Member

It is my personal experience that, behind teenagers, people on cell phones are the most dangerous people on the road. That includes our dear seniors.

And when a TEENAGER has a CELL PHONE on while DRIVING...

Head for the hills!

11. draqon Banned Banned

or for sniper guns. ............................ radar sniper guns...police radar guns

12. John99 Banned Banned

I dont own a car myself, i do own a chopper though (nah). That you know of huh?

13. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Bet you live in a city.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

14. John99 Banned Banned

I lived in NYC most of my life but now live in a small town. Been to three states on an airplane one time (never again hopefully) and never left the country.

How about you? are you in U.S, India or someplace else? not asking for specifics (lkike someone else here posted) just curious.

15. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Am in US right now, have travelled in India and the ME, all over the States by Amtrak, Greyhound, airplane and car (a friend's)

Used to be a 100% city girl, but am mellowing in my old age.

16. CANGAS Registered Senior Member

I have had so many close calls on the road caused by a moron on a cell phone who seemed to not know if they were here or on Mars so that I am totally in favor of trying to get their use out of cars.

17. John99 Banned Banned

Yeah me too, lived in NYC most of my life but i found a place in the country that is just beautiful plus i can allways get into new york when i have the urge.

I do miss all the people and diversity, the city has a life of it's own. Manhattan is one of my favorite places to be, the other is a small town upstate NY...but it's a secret

18. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Sounds like me. There was a time I could not sleep without the sound of four lanes of traffic outside my window. And now, I cherish every moment of silence I can get.

19. John99 Banned Banned

I dont miss the noise. There was an all night deli on the corner and every night at 2am a garbage truck would come and slam the lids on the dumpsters and then rev the engine for 5 minutes then chssssssh (air brakes).

But yeah i guess i'm partied out too.

20. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Reminds me of My Cousin Vinny.

21. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

Maybe we have the cart and the horse reversed. Maybe people who would use cell phones a lot while driving are already more prone to accidents than people who would not. I am the type of driver who handles any potential distractions with great care and refuses to occupy himself with them. That means that the food is set down when the traffic situations are tight, I don't open pop bottles with both hands while attempting to steer, and the cell phone is most likely turned off while I am driving. I have no accidents that are my fault on my record, knock on wood, and a very clean driving record. They go together with the attitude of caution.

Any "multitasking" time that I might have is dedicated to re-checking for rode hazards and planning my next move, like deciding whether to take the yellow or stop, and watching what is behind me and what the other idiot might do. I've prevented several accidents that way, including some that would not have directly involved me.

So maybe cell phone use while driving and even drunken driving are signs that the driver isn't that good a driver to begin with.

22. John99 Banned Banned

ha ha, that movie was good. another one like that was 29th street, it was real cheesey but i like the actors in it.

aaannnd Saturday Night Fever:

"aaaaaaallll pacino aaaalll pacino, attica attica attica"

"my hair, he touched my hair, i told him never to touch my hair"

23. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

yes, choppers are for ***** (insert politically incorrect word).

I just had a cheap allroad with which I drove around all year. Even in winter. A motorcycle just needs to be practical.