define the meaning behind the consious

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by mackmack, Dec 11, 2006.

1. mackmack Registered Senior Member

Human beings do things in terms of predicting the future. One example I can use is answering questions. We are able to answer questions because we can predict what the outcome of a question is or the appropriate response to a question is. For example, if I asked someone the question, what is your name. There response will be their name. That person is able to answer my question because he predicted the appropriate answer to the question.

The AI program learns things by finding out patterns. There is a pattern to all questions and answers. The computer will average out all the questions and answers and recognize the complex patterns. The next time it encounters the question, because it learned the pattern to the Q and A, it can answer the question.

Language is a very complex form of identifying objects, behaviors, environments, scenes, and time. The computer will use the same technique it used for answering questions to find complex patterns to objects, behaviors, environments, scenes, time and use those complex patterns to represent language. If you look at the different type of language spoken around the world they all function pretty much the same way. When the Americans say “cat” or the Chinese say “mau” or the Japanese say “neko” they are all talking about the same thing. The structure of the grammar each language uses is a little different but they are all trying to classify life into language. We are literally living in a world with unlimited objects/time/situations and we are using language to classify what we are sensing. This will make objects/time/situations easier to manage.

Human beings function in one predictable way: we pursue pathways that lead to pleasure and we stay away from pathways that lead to pain. Why do we eat good food compared to bad food? Because we like good food and we don’t like bad food. Why do we want a higher paying job instead of being homeless? Because we like more money and we don’t want to be homeless. Why do we not break laws instead of breaking laws? Because we want to be good citizens and we don’t want the consequences of breaking the law. From these examples you have an idea why human beings pursue pleasure and stay away from pain.

There are actually two forms of this human behavior. One is the short term benefits and the other is long term benefits. Let’s start with the short term benefits first. If you have a decision to make of going to the beach or working what would your pick be? Going to the beach is pleasure and going to work is pain then why do human beings prefer to go to work instead of going to the beach? If you look at this question from a short term point of view then the human being will go to the beach because it’s pleasurable. But people have to understand that we look at things in terms of the long term benefits. We have the intelligence of judging the outcome of a scene from the long term point of view and finding out what benefits us the most. If we go to the beach then the very next day your boss will fire you. If you go to work you will be miserable for the day but you will still get a job and your monthly bills will be paid on time. Judging this scene from the long term point of view, going to work is a more beneficial decision to make then going to the beach.

The conscious
    The medical community has tried to define what a human conscious is for over hundreds of years. No psychologist will tell you the meaning for a conscious because they don’t know what it is. My theory on the human conscious is based on a rudimentary analysis of human behavior. I basically use myself as the ginny pig to find out what the conscious is. I had to brainstorm and ask myself many questions in order to come up with a conclusion.

The conscious is something that took a lifetime to accumulate. The conscious you have right now started the moment you were born. As you grew older the knowledge you accumulated from all the teachers are stored in memory and “averaged out”. The conscious for you is the result of the average lessons you learned from life. All the teachers you had, all the lessons thought by them are stored in memory (when I say teachers I mean, parents, friends, strangers, teachers, professors, etc). For example, if you were crossing the street the first thing your conscious will tell you is: “stop, look left, look right, and make sure there are no cars before crossing the street”. This lesson in crossing the street isn’t a specific lesson thought to you by one teacher. This lesson is the average lessons thought by numerous teachers. The conscious is a construction of intelligence from a lifetime worth of learning. If you recall all the lessons thought to you about crossing the street, the average of these lessons gives you the knowledge to cross the street. There are more things that make up a conscious and I will be outlining them below.

There are three main functions to the human conscious:

(1) Finding the meaning of any given object (equals)
    (2) Finding information about the object (stereotypes)
    (3) Remind the human to do things under certain situation (trees)

Finding the meaning of any given object
    The most important of the objects is language. Sentences and words all have meaning. An entire sentence like: “the cat jumped over the box”, have meaning. The meaning is we visualize a cat jump over a box. The power of language is very important because it brings order to chaos. Especially when we live in a world where there are infinite possibilities we want to group the objects around us in a fixed way so that when we see it the next time we can identify it as the same thing.

Finding information about the object (stereotypes)
    This one reminds us facts about an object. We want to gather all the most recent and important information about any given object. Let’s say that you have been friends with dave for a long time and you know a lot about this person. Last week you saw dave get hit by a car. Today you went to school and dave was absent. The first thing that you should be reminded of dave is that dave got into a car accident last week. That fact is the closest association to dave at the moment. Then other secondary facts about dave pops up like he takes risks, is a trouble maker, doesn’t do his homework etc. This form of consciousness reminds us of the important facts of the object/s.

Remind the human to do things under certain situations (trees)
    This one is very important because it guides us to do things under any situation. It is like an ultimate teacher that tells us to do things at certain times. Not only does it tell us to do things but it encapsulates all the ambiguous instructions. One example of this consciousness is when you decide to go to a party. When you are at home and getting ready to go to this party instructions start to pop up in your head. Things like “what should I wear?”, “who is going to the party”, “What kind of party is this and what is the appropriate clothes I should wear?”. These are reminders of instructions that you have to do under certain situations. The answering of these questions are the instructions.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

wow no one responded to this? what a ripoff. hopefully I'll remember to come back and talk about this with you.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. EndLightEnd This too shall pass. Registered Senior Member

You still havent explained where consciousness originates.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.