Theist or Atheist?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by sderenzi, Dec 1, 2006.

?

I am...

Poll closed Dec 21, 2006.
  1. Theist

10.5%
  2. Atheist

89.5%
  1. sderenzi Banned Banned

A public poll so members will know whether or not you're religious, I for one would die before worshiping fantasy!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. baumgarten fuck the man Registered Senior Member

Too ambiguous. What god are we talking about, here?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. swivel Sci-Fi Author Valued Senior Member

Are you being serious? :bugeye:

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. baumgarten fuck the man Registered Senior Member

8. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I would think that believing in any God makes you a theist.

9. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

I agree, but that given, the poll is still too ambiguous (as are most polls).

10. baumgarten fuck the man Registered Senior Member

Is theism calling something that you believe exists a god? Or, is it defining what a god should be and then deciding whether or not you believe that definition represents anything real? And if it's the latter, then what is the definition?

A former member here deified Fallout Boy. I'm pretty sure about the existence of that god. Does that make me a theist?

11. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

It's the former. Few theists bother to do the latter, preferring a vague undefined faith in "something higher".

12. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Do you believe him to be God and praise or hate him as such?
    Do you acknowledge him as a deity?

13. baumgarten fuck the man Registered Senior Member

Suppose I believe a sentient being created the universe, and that it is called God by most, but I neither praise, hate, nor revere it as anything special. Am I a theist?

Suppose I have a sense of overwhelming awe and reverence at the splendor and vastness of the universe that bore me. Am I a theist?

Suppose I call myself a theist. I worship and pray to a snowball that I have kept in my freezer since 1992. I believe the Judeo-Christian God, and all other so-called gods, are mere fantasies, on the other hand. Am I really a theist?

Suppose I believe there is some kind of ultimate reality that is mostly beyond our comprehension. Do I believe in God? If so, that would make me a theist, regardless of whether I actually worship this reality, wouldn't it?

14. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Yes.
    No.
    No.
    No.
    No.

15. baumgarten fuck the man Registered Senior Member

Then to you, spidergoat, I am probably an atheist. On the other hand, by one_raven's reckoning, or my own, I might be a theist. Unless there's a more agreeable rationale for establishing theism than this, the only meaning we can get out of this poll is what the members here call themselves. That would make theism nothing more than an arbitrary, useless label.

16. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I should say, with the snowball thing, it depends if you think the snowball has supernatural properties.

17. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

What about limiting theism to the God described by the vastness of theological texts?
    This would thus differentiate it from Deism etc.

18. baumgarten fuck the man Registered Senior Member

The vastness of theological texts also disagree on what God is. I guess if you at least picked one, though, that would make you undoubtedly a theist.

Still, the question is far too ambiguous. And now we're talking about following a religion, not believing in a god. So the indication still isn't really theism, but something else strongly associated with it.