Question...kinda easy but need an urgent answer...

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by biggy35, Nov 30, 2006.

1. biggy35 Registered Senior Member

Heres the information for the question:

Small birds can migrate over long distances without feeding, storing energy mostly as fat rather than carbohydrate. Fat is a good form of energy storage because it provides the most energy per unit mass: 1 gram of fat provides about 9.4 (food) Calories, compared to 4.2 (food) Calories per 1 gram of carbohydrate. Remember that Calories associated with food, which are always capitalized, are not exactly the same as calories used in physics or chemistry, even though they have the same name. More specifically, one food Calorie is equal to 1000 calories of mechanical work or 4186 joules. Therefore, in this problem use the conversion factor .

Now here is the questioin:

Consider a bird that flies at an average speed of 10.7 m/s and releases energy from its body fat reserves at an average rate of 3.70 W (this rate represents the power consumption of the bird). Assume that the bird consumes of fat to fly over a distance without stopping for feeding. How far will the bird fly before feeding again? Express your answer in kilometers.

I have done alot of the problem. I know distance = vt
    I also have taken the energy and found how long it will take which is 11.8

But when i multiply 10.7 x 11.8 i get = 126.26 and when i convert that into km i get = 12626. But the answer is not right!!! Can anyone help fast???

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. imaplanck. Banned Banned

You haven't said how much fat reserves the bird has.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

I have not time to carefully read your efforts, but doubt that power requirements are a constant - surely more at start when bird is fat and heavy.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. imaplanck. Banned Banned

Yes obviously.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2006
  8. biggy35 Registered Senior Member

ah my bad. It is 4gram of fat reserve. I multiplied that by 9.4 than by 4186 which gave me 157393.6 J and i converted it down to 157 kj. But that shouldnt matter because all i needed that for was to calculate how the time it would take for that to get used up.

WOW IM A MORON! I firgured it out. I totally forgot that 11.8 was in hr when i needed to find it in seconds. haha

9. biggy35 Registered Senior Member

Now i have another quesiton for you:

How many grams of carbohydrate would the bird have to consume to travel the same distance ? Express your answer in grams

We know that the conversion factor would be 4 x 4.2 x 4186 = 70324.8

I would think like 2.1 grams of carbohydrates but its not right...

10. biggy35 Registered Senior Member

nevermind i got that... haha

New question regarding to this:

Field observations suggest that a migrating ruby-throated hummingbird can fly across the Gulf of Mexico on a nonstop flight traveling a distance of about 800 km. Assuming that the bird has an average speed of 40.0 km/hr and an average power consumption of 1.70 W, how many grams of fat does a ruby-throated hummingbird need to accomplish the nonstop flight across the Gulf of Mexico? Express your answer in grams.

11. imaplanck. Banned Banned

I got 0.3456 grms

12. biggy35 Registered Senior Member

hmm

.3456 doenst work...

im still stumped on this problem

13. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member

Is it an African ruby-throated hummingbird, or a European ruby-throated hummingbird?

Must... resist.. urge... to quote... Monty... Python...
    Aaahhh! It's too much!

<table><tr><td width=100>Guard:</td><td>(incredulous) What, a swallow, carrying a coconut?</td></tr><tr><td>Arthur:</td><td>It could grip it by the husk!</td></tr><tr><td>Guard:</td><td>It's not a question of where 'e grips it! It's a simple question of weight ratios! A five-ounce bird could *not* carry a one-pound coconut!</td></tr><tr><td>Arthur:</td><td>(exasperated) Well it doesn't matter! Will you go and tell your master that Arthur from the court of Camelot is here! </td></tr><tr><td>Guard:</td><td>Listen. In order to maintain air-speed velocity, a swallow needs to beat its wings forty-three times every second, right?</td></tr><tr><td>Arthur:</td><td>Please!</td></tr><tr><td>Guard:</td><td>(patiently) Am I right?</td></tr><tr><td>Arthur:</td><td>I'm not interested!</td></tr><tr><td>&nbsp;</td><td>(A second guard appears on the rampart.)</td></tr><tr><td>Guard 2:</td><td>It could be carried by an African swallow!</td></tr><tr><td>Guard 1:</td><td>Oh, yeah, an African swallow, maybe, but not a European swallow, that's my point.</td></tr><tr><td>Guard 2:</td><td>Oh, yeah, I agree with that.</td></tr><tr><td>Guard 1:</td><td>But then of course, African swallows are non-migratory.</td></tr><tr><td>Guard 2:</td><td>Oh yeah...</td></tr><tr><td>Guard 1:</td><td>So they couldn't bring a coconut back anyway.</td></tr><tr><td>Guard 2:</td><td>Wait a minute! Supposing *two* swallows carried it together!</td></tr><tr><td>Guard 1:</td><td>Nooo..... They'd have to have it on a line...</td></tr><tr><td>Guard 2:</td><td>Well, simple! They'd just use a strand of creeper!</td></tr><tr><td>Guard 1:</td><td>What, held under the dorsal guiding feathers?</td></tr><tr><td>Guard 2:</td><td>Well, why not?</td></tr></table>​

14. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member

Five easy steps:

1) How many hours does an 800km trip take at 40km/h?
    2) How many seconds is that, of one hour is 3600 seconds?
    3) How many joules of energy are consumed in that time at a power of 1.7W?
    4) How many Calories is that, if one Calorie is 4186 joules?
    5) How many grams of fat are required to store that much energy, if each gram of fat stores 9.4 Calories?

15. biggy35 Registered Senior Member

the type of bird does not matter in this case

16. biggy35 Registered Senior Member

1) How many hours does an 800km trip take at 40km/h? 20hrs
    2) How many seconds is that, of one hour is 3600 seconds? 72,000

to the rest i dont know...ive confused myself now

3) How many joules of energy are consumed in that time at a power of 1.7W?
    4) How many Calories is that, if one Calorie is 4186 joules?
    5) How many grams of fat are required to store that much energy, if each gram of fat stores 9.4 Calories?

17. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member

If a bird flies for 72,000 seconds using 1.7 joules per second (ie 1.7W), how many joules will it consume during the flight?

18. biggy35 Registered Senior Member

122400 which is 29.24 calories

19. biggy35 Registered Senior Member

which than equals 3.11

which the answer DOES work haha...

20. biggy35 Registered Senior Member

nevermind i got it. I am an idiot! thanks so much...that cleared it all up for me.

21. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member