The Would Be Future of Christianity

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Ayodhya, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Ayodhya Registered Senior Member

Before the battle of Milvian Bridge, Constantine, before he became emperor, had a dream in which he saw a flaming cross in the sky and voice that instructed him "delineate the heavenly sign on the shields of his soldiers" (Wikipedia). Constantine took it to be a sign of Christ and his God and defeated Maxcensus. He then instated Christianity as the state religion and all the Christian priests and theologians inherited the Roman empire.

What would have been the future of Christianity had Maxcensus won and not instated Christianity as the state religion? Based on its beliefs, morals, etc. do you think Christianity would be still be around and widespread? Based on a historical/political basis, do you think it would be so powerful and widespread?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

Well, the Saturnalia Holiday Season is coming up...Better get to the stores!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. baumgarten fuck the man Registered Senior Member

I plan on hosting a great feast, followed by a massive, vomit-breathed orgy.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Adstar Valued Senior Member

Anyone would think that Christianity was started by Constantine on the day of that battle... But let me assure you Christians where Christians hundreds of years before constantine came along seeking to exploit the faith to further his own lust for worldly power.

The actions of constantine while designed to twist the faith of Christianity only ensured the spread of the Gospel worldwide. Although he exploited luke warm christians and promoted their compromising religion. The core of the Message was preserved and was freed into the minds of those who where willing to accept the simple and clear message that Jesus gave. So what was meant for bad worked out to actually serve the long term interests of God.

So the false carriers of the message who lied about the will of God and twisted The Messiahs teachings unwittingly preserved the core Message that the meek could see and be saved by down through the ages.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

8. Hapsburg Hellenistic polytheist Valued Senior Member

Not necessarily. The "vision" occurrence is debatable, and is still debated among historians.

Wrong. Constantine stayed a Roman polytheist to his death. He maintained the Imperial Cult of Sol Invictus and traditions of the the Ancient Roman religion. He never instated christianity, Constantine merely legalized it.
    It was Theodosius who made it the state religion, some 40 years after Constantine's death. And, as we all know, after Theodosius, the Roman Empire split in two and would never reunite.

Ah, yes, and soon Dies Natalis Sol Invictus shall be celebrated. Of course, the christians don't realize it, but that's what it really is.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

I think that the old Roman empire would have become:
    1) Mithrantic, bascially "Mithraism" would be "Xianity" and so not much would have changed, in such a case there’d probably not be an “Islam”. Xianity and Mithraism is not that different from one another.
    2) Remained Polytheistic, although doubtful.
    3) Became Buddhist ... well many Greeks living near India were – but I doubt it, perhaps a little too highbrow?

My bet is on Mithraism.