Voyager/Voyager 2 Time Dilation

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by Mickmeister, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Mickmeister Registered Senior Member

I have done some research on the net trying to find out if anyone has looked into the possibilty that either of the above spacecraft have experienced a time dilation as they are moving at 41,000 mph away from earth. If so, by how much? I know of the experiment Nasa did by synching two atomic clocks, one on earth and one in a plane. There was a time dilation there, so I am assuming there would also be on on either of the spacecraft.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Clocks on the Voyager spacecraft at that speed would be expected to lose about 0.06 seconds per year compared to Earth clocks, so time dilation isn't a big effect for them, even thought it is there.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. CANGAS Registered Senior Member

I am not just screwing with you, like you might have somehow imagined that I might have done once long ago and far away, but, how do you KNOW THAT IT IS THERE?

Are you claiming to be clairvoyant?

If so, tell me how many fingers I am holding up NOW!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Because thousands of experiments prove it.

8. draqon Banned Banned

you have no fingers to hold up, because it is not you. Or than how do you know it is you who are you, to know how many fingers you are holding up?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!