Bullied to DEATH

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by TimeTraveler, Nov 16, 2006.

1. TimeTraveler Immortalist Registered Senior Member

A new Trend in Japan, school bullying is leading to suicides.

There are two ways to look at this issue. If you are pro bully, then you might think that this is a good thing, that the strong are bullying to death the weak. If you are anti bully, then you might think this is a bad thing, because not only are bullys winning, but the victims are commiting suicide, blaming themselves, and victimizing their family and friends in the process.

What say you all?
    http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/dy/national/20061114TDY03005.htm[

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

Well the first thing that comes to mind is: who the fuck ever declares themselves to be "pro-bullying"?

And the second thing that comes to mind is: since when has 'being bullied to death' been a new thing? Happens all the time.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

agreed

Meanwhile my concern is more about the VERY delicate state of these students minds that they would kill themselves for being called a cockroach?

Bullying is not good ever, but it varies in degree and the examples stated in your extract TT do not seem extreme cases at all. There was no physical assault or history of ongoing long term emtional assault. What occurred is terrible but so terrible as to create the kind of depression that leads to suicide??

I would be keener to look at what it was about these children that made them so vulnerable.

The bullying I had at school was far worse than either of these, yet I did not even consider it bullying at the time. It was part and parcel of school life and smaller or sensitive, cleverer etc kids were always 'targets'.

I know one girl who was bullied who ended up on anti dperessants but she never killed herself. Myself I used to deal with it day to day. Other children changed schools.

What makes some children more likely to be emotionally affected by some lesser forms of bullying than others?

Please don't get into a debate with me re what constitutes lesser bullying. I recognise it all as bad. But some cases are worse than others and some extreme cases do not result in suicides whereas some lesser ones do.

No one could anticipate a child killing themselves because another child was asking them for money or a child killing themselves for being called a cockroach.

Shit I had my shoes stolen and put in the shower during PE, my school bag pulled apart, was called every name under the sun, graffitti round the school with my FULL name, huge sign post lettering! Swung like a skipping rope by my ankles for kids to jump over me, boxed in the face by the top school BOY bully, kicked, punched, you name it.

I gave as good as I got though. Maybe that's why I wasn't affected. I never felt like a victim becuase I always retaliated regardless of the result.

I teach my kids self defence and how to say 'No' and most of all, if someone hits you.....you hit them back..Harder. As well as telling teacher and me etc.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. draqon Banned Banned

japan's culture is insane...it is a miracle that they have not cut each other's throuts yet...or each other's in harakiri...

8. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Not being a pro-bully, but just for the sake of a discussion, I will take that side.
    So yes, bullies have a certain kind of role in society. It is establashing the pyramid structure of the pack. The weaker gets to the bottom. Now why does it lead to suiced? Well, it shouldn't. I think nowadays kids are way more weak as a few generations ago and simply they just can't deak with the pressure. The weakness comes from growing up in sheltered families and being spoiled.

Another argumnet for the weaks is that by recognizing that they can not be stronger physically, they will choose skills and professions where they can outsmart the strong. It was said about bill gates that he would have been killed in a public school. And see where he is now...

9. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

Sounds like an opportunity for fun and profit. Got a bully bothering you? Pay me $50 to put your bully in a hospital.

10. Roman Banned Banned

I'm pro-bully.
    So long as I'm the bully.

11. draqon Banned Banned

there's a new game comin out: Bully

or was it a movie?...

12. CANGAS Registered Senior Member

I feel so strongly about this subject that my response is certainly violating the forum rules about vulgarity;

ANY FORM OF BULLYING IS TOTAL SHIT!

13. draqon Banned Banned

any form of bullying is wrong.

14. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

In it's perhaps more mild form, aren't school tests bullying?
    Isn't the normal school class discussions and questions a form of bullying?
    Aren't all sports a form of bullying?
    Aren't all "tryouts" for school activities a form of bullying? (Cheerleading, sports activities, band, special clubs, ...and many more)

I think if we examined life a little more carefully, we'd find forms of bullying in almost everything we do, every day of our lives. If so, how can it be bad?

I'm quite certain that there was bullying in the days of the Cave Man. Was that bad/wrong?

I don't know ...when do we learn to take responsibility for our own defenses? ..for our own actions? ...for our own personalities and body form?

I don't know ...should we always expect protection from the actions of others? What if that protection isn't with us all the time?

Bullying? Don't little tiny babies actually bully other little tiny babies?

Animals in the wild bully each other all the time ...until the "proper" pecking order is established. Aren't we also animals? Why should we be immune to such natural forces?

How many other things that humans do naturally can be called "wrong"?

Baron Max

15. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

Bullies don't stop at establishing a pecking order. They cripple a person's life and aim for total destruction.

16. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

TOR, a lot more things go on than that when there is bullying. When I was a child in school being bullied, the teachers would report that I went nuts about some little thing and they would not admit that the same people had been kicking me around for years. I would scream at them for snickering at me in class, or be unable to speak when called on, and the teachers would punish me. They would not punish the same actors for having used me as a punching bag during recess. Then they would report to my mother that I was disrupting class and being stupid and disobedient but they would not report that those boys would catch me and beat me with their fists on the playground. When they did mention anything, they pretended that I started those fights when in fact I did everything that I could to avoid them, and they would punish me if they saw anything like the beginning of retaliation or standing up for myself.

17. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Hmm, should we put bodyguards with each kid 24-hrs a day?

I'm the first to admit that there are bullies and there are those that are bullied. But how do we stop it? How can we keep guard on kids 24-hrs a day? It seems like an insurmountable task.

Many of y'all are just complaining about it, but do any of you have a solution? And hopefully one that's actually, truly workable?

If the authorities simply believe those kids who complain about being bullied, and punish people without proof, then that could become a form of bullying in itself. Anyone who didn't like someone could complain, and that person would be punished ...that ain't very nice, is it?

How would you stop bullying? ...both in the schools AND out in the public? If the bullies couldn't do it in school, then wouldn't they do it outside of the school? Then what? Cops with the kids 24-hrs a day?

Baron Max

Baron Max

18. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

No, the cops are to make sure that you show your papers and to beat you up if you don't have them on you.

19. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

so you didn't read the whole post then

meanwhile you and I did not commit suicide, so why is it these kids did?

20. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

Because they had more sense than we did.

21. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

So .......I'm still waiting for you sensible suggestions as to what to do about bullying. You seem to complain a lot, but....?

Baron Max

22. Oniw17 ascetic, sage, diogenes, bum? Valued Senior Member

Suicidal tandencies are a clear sign that they deserve to be dead.

23. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

Well, I don't know if cyanide or weedkiller is the better treatment for depression, TOR. What do you recommend?