Who can give the best account of why there is a God?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by alexb123, Nov 11, 2006.

1. alexb123 The Amish web page is fast! Valued Senior Member

Fire away..........

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. lightgigantic Banned Banned

The best account can be given by a saintly person due to their familiarity with the topic

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. imaplanck. Banned Banned

Because of all of the pretty trees and birds. Because of the blue sky and because little baby kittens.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Fire Registered Senior Member

The best account of the celestial teapot can be given by anyone. And it is the same for everything else that doesn't exist.

8. lightgigantic Banned Banned

I guess we can strike Fire off the list then

9. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

fear of the unknown

10. lightgigantic Banned Banned

I thought religion was about coming to know god?

11. Mountain_Fire77 Registered Member

The Goldilocks Enigma ----

Not my work or writing i am about to post here but as a smart man once said to me....If someone is smarter than you in a point you want to try to explain, then be wise and be quiet.

This is what many top scientists around the world have had no choice to accept as the facts are there....Its called

THE GOLDILOCKS ENIGMA

If almost any of the basic features of the universe, from the properties of atoms to the distribution of the galaxies, were different, life would very probably be impossible. Now, it happens that to meet these various requirements, certain stringent conditions must be satisfied in the underlying laws of physics that regulate the universe, so stringent in fact that a biofriendly universe looks like a fix - or 'a put-up job', to use the pithy description of the late British cosmologist Fred Hoyle. It appeared to Hoyle as if a super-intellect had been 'monkeying' with the laws of physics. He was right in his impression. On the face of it, the universe does look as if it has been designed by an intelligent creator expressly for the purpose of spawning sentient beings. Like the porridge in the tale of Goldilocks and the three bears, the universe seems to be 'just right' for life, in many intriguing ways. No scientific explanation for the universe can be deemed complete unless it accounts for this appearance of judicious design. Until recently, 'the Goldilocks factor' was almost completely ignored by scientists. Now, that is changing fast. As I shall discuss in the following chapters, science is at last coming to grips with the enigma of why the universe is so uncannily fit for life.

This is a small but thought-provoking quote and if you want to read the whole article (who himself doubts in a God Creator....yet i don't see any other option) its here

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/newsnight/6035233.stm

In which you can even watch the video interview by clicking on the link

12. baumgarten fuck the man Registered Senior Member

Why is there anything at all? Perhaps a meaningless question.

13. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

Fear of life.

14. Cris In search of Immortality Valued Senior Member

Bush says is there is one.

15. Fire Registered Senior Member

Actually my delusional friend, I am just as qualified as you to describe things that do not exist.

16. Cris In search of Immortality Valued Senior Member

Mountain Fire,

The Goldilocks Enigma is a classic and well known logical fallacy.

It's like being amazed that the baking dish used to bake a cake has an identical shape to the cake that it just produced. Gosh how miraculous!!!

In the same way life is the way it is because the universe produced it that way. Had the universe been different then life would either not exist or it would be quite different.

The fallacy is assuming the universe is there because of life when it is entirely the reverse.

17. Zephyr Humans are ONE Registered Senior Member

The analogy doesn't even work. Goldilocks tried three different bowls of porridge, but I don't know anyone who's sampled other universes.

Also ... it depends on your definition of God. What is this God of yours meant to do...?

'And what is the saint doing in the forest?' asked Zarathustra. The saint answered: 'I make songs and sing them; and when I make songs, I laugh, cry, and hum: thus do I praise God. With singing, crying, laughing, and humming do I praise the god who is my god. But what do you bring us as a gift?' When Zarathustra had heard these words he bade farewell and said: 'What could I have to give you? But let me go quickly lest I take something from you!' And thus they separated, the old one and the man, laughing as two boys laugh.

But when Zarathustra was alone he spoke thus to his heart: 'Could it be possible? This old saint in the forest has not yet heard anything of this, that God is dead!'

— trans. Walter Kaufmann, Thus Spoke Zarathustra, Prologue, sect. 2.

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_is_dead)

18. PsychoticEpisode It is very dry in here today Valued Senior Member

Who says all life in the universe follows the same script? Here we go again, making ourselves the center of it all.

19. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

How can you know the unknowable?

20. Zephyr Humans are ONE Registered Senior Member

With something like pi, you approximate it to a desired degree of accuracy...

but then pi, although 'unknowable', is 'well defined'.

21. lightgigantic Banned Banned

Then it begs the question how do you know it does not exist - the only way you could make such a statement with confidence is if you are either delusional or omnsicient and omnipotent - which is it?

22. candy Valued Senior Member

Why is there a god?
    Because we want an explanation for the inexplicable.

23. Fire Registered Senior Member

Well it just shows how irrelevent the whole god thing is... or how irrelevent anything is that people postulate something extravagant when there is no evidence for it.

If the people who postulate a certain extravagant thing only have faith as their reason... then from a rational perspective we should say it doesn't exist. Since it effectively doesn't exist anyway, the rational people will be right as good as 100% of the time.