The God Dellusion

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by wsionynw, Oct 26, 2006.

1. wsionynw Master Queef Valued Senior Member

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. draqon Banned Banned

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Fire Registered Senior Member

Yeah, I liked his comment "Who just 'did' God then"?

As for the book itself, I'm half way through it. It's great so far, of course. It's obviously not going to make much difference to theists who really want to believe - just look at Astrology to see my point...

But if people believe just because they are lazy and born into religion, it will certainly make them think.

8. lightgigantic Banned Banned

I think the link says more about the distinctions between american and english culture -lol

9. Fire Registered Senior Member

By the way, here is a good video from Richards tour of America promoting the God Delusion. It was at times very funny, and summed up some parts of his book very well. The Q & A was equally as interesting, informative and funny. He in particular focused on evolution because he was speaking in Kansas, which appears to be a frontline in the attack of evolution by creationists (which you wouldn'd realize by observing the good reception he got).

http://merlin.cc.ku.edu:8080/ramgen/unionav/rd329857495128.rv

It's a real audio file, so you will need real player I think.

10. wsionynw Master Queef Valued Senior Member

You should read his book Light, call it a test of faith

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

At least it would improve your aruguments.

12. lightgigantic Banned Banned

Its not necessary when there are such devout souls as yourselves to present the base conclusions and premises

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

13. lightgigantic Banned Banned

I am just waiting for something better than

"Wow dawkins book is really cool"

"yeah I loved it"

"at the moment I am half way through it"

"I really like what he says about theism"

etc etc

14. Fire Registered Senior Member

That's because there are far too much detail to the book that can't be summed up in such a way that matches the effectiveness of the book. Although he did a good job of it on his 60 minute speech in the above video. I would not waste my time going into detail towards people who wouldn't have an open mind anyway (you certainly don't). So I just say, read the book or watch the speech I supplied in this thread.

15. draqon Banned Banned

Wow dawkins book is really cool and great

16. lightgigantic Banned Banned

Fire

Let me guess - you are too stunned for words ...

and that means you have an open mind by default?

already have

If thats all he has I've read better arguments by atheists from over 1000 years ago.

17. Fire Registered Senior Member

What is your point? I have already discussed themes of the book with you in a far less articulate manner than Dawkins is able to do.

Of course. I follow evidence, and for superstitions, there is obviously none. It's far better than asserting a superstition whilst being unwilling to be open minded about it's falseness. In all your posts you have never demonstrated any open mindedness about gods non-existence.

I doubt you have. But yes, 1000 years later, atheism is just as relevant, whilst religion appears to have slipped in any rational society.

18. ggazoo Registered Senior Member

Really... then why does 95% of the American public still beileve in God, and why are we still talking about Jesus some 2,000 years later?

19. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

The book is very comprehensive. He discusses much more than he could in a TV appearance.

20. Fire Registered Senior Member

I did say 'rational' society. America is probably the most irrational of countries in western society.

I should also clarify my point that you quoted as it wasn't thought through properly as I was in a rush. The argument for atheism has remained constant, and unchanged throughout the ages, which goes against the dramatic variety of religion changing throughout time and geography which makes religion completely irrelevant. Atheism however, has become more than relevant as scientists have revealed the origin of the Earth, the origin of life and to some degree, even the origin of the universe. These amazing advancements have revealed no gods, but given an explanation. God is no explanation, and history shows us it has no relevance to anything that can be critically studied. Writings on atheism in ancient times are all the more remarkable considering they did not have 21st century knowledge.

21. lightgigantic Banned Banned

Fire

Science is constant?

Can you refer to any science text book that has remained credible for the past 40 years and is likely to remain credible for the next 40?

I think you are confusing the word "revealed" with "theorized"

probably why empricism is never advocated as a methodology to approach god in scripture

possessing the ability to give an explanation is hardly unique in this world

"the results of the scientific search in which during several decades, I have taken a small part, ... leads unavoidably back to those eternal questions which go under the title of metaphysics" - Max Born (one of the founders of quantum physics)

Maybe you aren't studying critically enough

Actually it makes their writings more pertinent because they were not bewildered by the illusory false prestige inherent with technological industrialism and could concentrate more on the fundamental issues of atheism rather than thinking life is really going places because they can fly in a space shuttle

22. lightgigantic Banned Banned

such as?

23. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I don't have the thing in front of me, but he takes each argument for theism as a separate chapter. Other chapters include, addressing the notion that even if theism can't be proven, isn't there some good to it, wasn't Hitler and Stalin atheists and doesn't that mean it's bad, the value of theism in a literary sense (Shakespeare), is atheism a bleak POV, ect....