Space Fabric

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by KneeltoErasmus, Oct 7, 2006.

1. KneeltoErasmus Registered Senior Member

Often you see a picture with an illustration of space fabric. Most the times it's like this:

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

-(Just depicting the back-forth and left-right dimensions)
    But wouldn't it have to be 3 dimensional? More like a grid with ----- and |. But then when I try to picture it like that I can't get a sense of what the warped space around a mass would look like. Most the time I get a picture of the mass in the space fabric and all the space around it curves away from it...Uhh, kinda like this:

-(Artistically challenged.) Trying to show a space fabric with left-right, up-down, back-forth...probably failed in that attempt but oh well.

Or that all of the spacial "grid" around it will fold under it...But then doesn't it have to go through the planet as well? Cause don't we have to be on the spacial fabric (the three extended space dimensions)? So can anyone give me a better diagram of what warped space around a mass might really be like...I just can't picture it in a 3D spacial grid.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Mosheh Thezion Registered Senior Member

SPACE is TODAY a fluid... a transindental fluid, that condescends to obey certain natural laws.

as a solid fluid, is has a unique quality that all energy it obsorbs manifests as dimensional motions of the fluid itself.
    like a gas, it can flow past itself in many directions, and like a liquid it can carry waves and is suggestive of fabrics if you will.

and as a solid it has manifested in its life long development the creation of mass, which formed and distributed itself evenly throughout space on a long journey of decy towards the outer rim of spce, where all matter becomes energy which becomes space again, and bleeds out the original applied energy which made the universe in the first place...

like a big balloon.... with a designed inner process resulting the the life long bleeding our of energy back to the source...
    maybe in varrying forms... like souls...

-MT

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. AntonK Technomage Registered Senior Member

KneeltoErasmus,

I'm not sure what Mosheh is trying to say. I've never been able to decipher his drawings. I doubt few can. However I think you mostly answered your own question when you said:

"But then when I try to picture it like that I can't get a sense of what the warped space around a mass would look like."

This is exactly why when you see these drawings like this they are 2D representations. The human mind is VERy bad at picturing anything past 3D. So when we need to imagine and work with 3D from a higher sense, we simply map the problem down to looking at 2D from a higher sense. It actually works quite nice because most of the math behind the calculations of curved space in 2D transfer directly to 3D and 4D, etc. Looking at it as a 2D system just gives us a more intuitive sense.

-AntonK

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Mosheh Thezion Registered Senior Member

8. itistoday Registered Member

KneeltoErasmus, I too have thought about this. All the textbooks cause terrible misunderstandings with their 2D space grid. Indeed you are right, it is not 2D but 3D. To try and imagine what it might look like, imagine this:

Take a bunch of yarn and cut it into pieces of equal length, say 200 strands of yarn. Take 10 of them and line them up parallel and attach the ends to sticks like so:

|----------|
    |----------|
    |----------|
    (horizontal lines represent yarn, and the vertical lines represent 2 sticks)

Make 20 of these. Line half of them up on top of each other, and then line the other half on top of each other but so that they are perpendicular to the other set and thus criss-cross with the other array of yarn, creating a 3D lattice.

Then, take your fingers and pinch the yarn in the center together. That is my understanding of what these grids of space that contain some mass are really supposed to look like.

9. LaidBack Physics Explains conformance Registered Senior Member

Don't know if this will help...

I find it best to decide what area of the cosmos I wish to depict and by then placing a single point most central to the area as the time reference, then I draw an imaginary sphere around it and or if working in two dimensions a single circle and then I slice up the circle as if slicing up a pizza, I then proceed to draw more smaller circles inside the initial circle to depict as near perfect squares as one can noting that the more inward we go the smaller the squares are, we should also note in reality every square is equal to every other square if they are moved about and or swapped I usually define each area as C^2 "c" being the speed of Light, and yes I agree some serious compression and or expansion is called for if we swap the squares around, but if we compare an area deep under the sea where "c" is a lot slower, to an area just below the oceans surface using the earths core as the time reference it fits and explains force and or if we compare it to the force stuffing our galaxy into the core "Black Hole" it also fits if the Black Hole is referenced as the time reference.