Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 53

Thread: Getting High On Anti-Depressants

  1. #21
    big brown was screwed up
    Posts
    1,867
    G. F. Schleebenhorst
    and haldol (used in mental institutions) gives people a violent urge to stab people, so much so that patients feel such pressure to stab someone repeatedly that they escape and stab people repeatedly until the pressure is relieved.
    LOL. I guess the simple answer is...DON'T FUCK AROUND WITH DRUGS

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricky Houy
    By the way, that is a clear indication of your coke being too cut.
    It was speed, not actually cocaine.

  3. #23
    uoy etah i. yllaer ton
    Posts
    1,317
    Quote Originally Posted by Roman
    It was speed, not actually cocaine.
    I haven't done too much speed, so i wouldn't really know. But coke only burned my nose when it was really cut. When I used to do it, i couldn't even feel it in my nose, when it was good.

  4. #24
    Registered Senior Member
    Posts
    5,502
    Adderol is just plain amphetamines.

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricky Houy
    I haven't done too much speed, so i wouldn't really know. But coke only burned my nose when it was really cut. When I used to do it, i couldn't even feel it in my nose, when it was good.
    Heh, can't feel much on coke.

    I spent a summer messing around with amphetamine and cocaine. My sense of smell is definitely regretting it.

  6. #26
    uoy etah i. yllaer ton
    Posts
    1,317
    I just regret it period.

  7. #27
    Registered Senior Member
    Posts
    5,502
    I regret having been forced to take drugs when I was a teenager. They are not good for people. They just make the parents feel better, like a placebo effect.

  8. #28
    The Truth is Out There TruthSeeker's Avatar
    Posts
    15,142
    Yes, pharmaceuticals are crap.

  9. #29
    Registered Senior Member
    Posts
    3,501
    Quote Originally Posted by TruthSeeker View Post
    Anti-depressants are designed to make you high. Think about it!
    I agree with TruthSeeker here - in a sense - though I'm sure that no physician or pharmaceutical company would like to hear it put this way. By definition, depression is a state of mind that makes you feel sad and depressed and the purpose of an anti-depressant is to make you feel happy again - or "normal" again would probably be the preferred professional wording for it.

    Back in the early 60's of the Timothy Leary days you could get a prescription for LSD. Unfortunately - or rather fortunately for us, because of the less accidental harm to others - his crusade for the "Right to get high," or to put it in his own famous wording: "get high, turn on and drop out," led to the illegality of LSD, heroin, and other psychodelics. If these were legal today, the "irresponsibility" would be legal, and no one on psychodelics could be held responsible for their actions - like killing your mother or something. This is why strong pharmaceuticals are governmentally controlled substances and why you need a prescription for any psychotropic drug - because of the immature, irresponsible, nutcase idiots who abuse them.

    So if you feel that you are "getting high" on Prozac, make sure you tell your physician the exact effects that you are experiencieng so that he can change or adjust your medication accordingly so that you are feeling "normal" - not "high" and out-of-touch with reality.

  10. #30
    Secular Humanist Huwy's Avatar
    Posts
    890
    Quote Originally Posted by G. F. Schleebenhorst View Post
    A lot of SSRIs and drugs made by drug companies make you do fucked up shit.

    Seroxat (known as something else in the US) apparently makes some people kill themselves, and haldol (used in mental institutions) gives people a violent urge to stab people, so much so that patients feel such pressure to stab someone repeatedly that they escape and stab people repeatedly until the pressure is relieved.

    Electro shock treatment does nothing for mental problems but gives the patient amnesia and burns holes in their skulls so they have to be replaced with metal plates. We are still living in an age of quackery.
    "ECT Burns holes in their skulls", "Haldol gives people an urge to stab people??"
    care to cite any sources for these claims?

    Have you ever spoken to anyone who has had ECT?
    You might want to try learning about what you are talking about, it tends to have an influence over the desire to make up bullshit stories.


    Quote Originally Posted by TruthSeeker View Post
    Anti-depressents are designed to make you high. Think about it! DUH!

    Btw, never try Effexor. It almost killed my wife...
    "Duh!" They are designed to inhibit the reuptake of neurotransmitters, so they stay in the synapse for longer!

    Just because your wife reacted badly to it, I assume from a rare reaction, doesn't discount the potential of a medication to help others.

    Quote Originally Posted by TruthSeeker View Post
    Yes, pharmaceuticals are crap.
    What kind of snake oil hippie are you? What do you suggest people use for treatment when they are suffering from a disease or disorder?

    Chinese herbal medicine? African "Muti" medicine? Feng-shui? Spiritual aura realignment?

    Western pharmaceutical medicines, in most cases, improve the quality of millions of lives, and save countless more.
    Maybe you should "seek" out some clinical trials to get a bigger picture than the one you got from your wife.

    Some people react to anti-depressants by experiencing elation to the point of hypo-mania or mania. If that happens, they should discuss it with their doctor.

    Regarding the thread starter,
    If you are taking anti-depressants just to get "high", then you sound desperate. Perhaps you should discuss this with your doctor.

  11. #31
    Secular Humanist Huwy's Avatar
    Posts
    890
    Quote Originally Posted by valich View Post
    By definition, depression is a state of mind that makes you feel sad and depressed and the purpose of an anti-depressant is to make you feel happy again - or "normal" again would probably be the preferred professional wording for it.
    "By definition" you say, its a "state of mind".

    That's like arguing that diabetes is only ever caused by a poor diet!

    Maybe if you all understood the causes, diagnosis, and treatment of depression, you might not believe it was only a "state of mind".

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clinical_depression

  12. #32
    The Truth is Out There TruthSeeker's Avatar
    Posts
    15,142
    Quote Originally Posted by Huwy View Post
    Just because your wife reacted badly to it, I assume from a rare reaction, doesn't discount the potential of a medication to help others.
    Huuum... I've seen commercials in the US saying that a lot of people even DIE from it....

  13. #33
    The Truth is Out There TruthSeeker's Avatar
    Posts
    15,142
    Quote Originally Posted by Huwy View Post
    What kind of snake oil hippie are you? What do you suggest people use for treatment when they are suffering from a disease or disorder?
    Herbs.

    Western pharmaceutical medicines, in most cases, improve the quality of millions of lives, and save countless more.
    Oh really?

    Maybe you need to get informed....

    Evidence no1: Medical Guesswork (from Business Week online)
    http://www.businessweek.com/magazine...2/b3986001.htm

    Evidence no2: Statistics prove prescription drugs are 16,400% more deadly than terrorists
    The article is filled with citations of studies from various different bodies. You can find the above article in two places:
    http://www.lookingglassnews.org/view...p?storyid=1802
    http://www.newstarget.com/z009278.html

    Following the links, you can also find dozens more articles on the subject with many other citations.

    Here's another one, related to evidence no1.

    Evidence n03: TODAY'S AMERICAN MEDICINE: THE CURE
    http://www.lookingglassnews.org/view...p?storyid=6984

    And...

    Evidence n04: How the Drug Companies Want Us to Be Sick
    http://www.lookingglassnews.org/view...p?storyid=6069

    Also, check out the following website:

    Evidence no5: Bitter Pill Awards
    http://www.bitterpillawards.org/

    This one provides us with plenty of detailed information about the regulatory processes of the FDA.

    Evidence n06: No-Hunger Bread
    http://www.naturalcures.com/NC/ftc_h...ger_bread.aspx

    This can provide us with some information on how the government protects large corporations and how large corporations affect government regulation.


    Maybe you should "seek" out some clinical trials to get a bigger picture than the one you got from your wife.
    Clinical trials say what the industry wants them to say....

  14. #34
    Secular Humanist Huwy's Avatar
    Posts
    890
    People in the marketing business are constantly crossing the moral line to sell
    their products and make profit.

    Although mistakes have been made in the pharmaceutical industry, overall they are a lot safer and more effective than snake oil herbs that rely on the gullibility of consumers and the "placebo" affect to work.

    Quite frankly, if you get many of your sources from a site that claims that innoculation/vaccination causes more harm than good, and claims pharmaceutical companies are creating mental disorders to sell their products,
    it illustrates your point of view perfectly.

    It doesnt change the fact that when people go to hospitals, they get treated with the medicine that has the greatest chance of working.

    What do you think are the causes of mental illnesses, and how do you propose people with various mental illnesses use herbs to treat their symptoms?

  15. #35
    Secular Humanist Huwy's Avatar
    Posts
    890
    and btw, if your fda is corrupt (and allows ads for antidepressants on TV that are designed to target everyone) that doesn't mean the rest of the worlds health industries are corrupt.

    Are you aware that in a small minority of cases, marijuana can trigger and exacerbate psychosis?
    Unfortunately, a lot of people feel that the only way of treating their depression is to smoke a lot of cannabis. In some susceptable individuals this can trigger psychosis or exacerbate their existing schitzophrenia.

  16. #36
    Secular Humanist Huwy's Avatar
    Posts
    890
    I might add that having looked at (http://www.bitterpillawards.org/) i share the great concern of the marketing techniques used by many companies to sell drugs.
    There obviously needs to be tighter restrictions on the advertisement of drugs in america.
    In australia, you can't advertise prescription meds on TV.
    A number of charities and mental health organisations who's goal is to help people and increase awareness, have ad campaigns to help them meet their goals, but are only allowed to conclude with "if you are concerned talk to your doctor".

  17. #37
    Registered Senior Member
    Posts
    3,501
    Quote Originally Posted by Huwy View Post
    "By definition" you say, its a "state of mind".

    That's like arguing that diabetes is only ever caused by a poor diet!

    Maybe if you all understood the causes, diagnosis, and treatment of depression, you might not believe it was only a "state of mind".

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clinical_depression
    What brought this on? If I say that depression is a "state of mind," are you saying that you don't know what I am talking about? Apparently not. But what I'm saying is how we communicate in "normal" dialogue.

    Dah!

    Oh. So let me explain more precisely to satisfy your sudden unwarranted criticisms. The "pathology" of depression leads to a "state of mind" that we often refer to as "being depressed" or "depression."

    Is is that time of month again for you now - on the rag - that you're inclined to whip, shred and backlash?

  18. #38
    Registered Senior Member
    Posts
    3,501
    I'm gonna get Tom Cruise in here to be my expert witness

  19. #39
    Secular Humanist Huwy's Avatar
    Posts
    890
    and the pathology of depression is often due to genetic factors that lead to neurochemical imbalances. It can also be due to environmental factors, but it is widely acknowledged that psychology is only one of the major components.

    My criticism was related to my interpretation of your post as implying that depression is ONLY a "state of mind".

    Perhaps we could agree that "state of mind" is related to both psychological and biological factors?

  20. #40
    Registered Senior Member
    Posts
    3,501
    Psychological, physiological, genetic, environmental, chemical imbalances, physical injuries to the brain, serotonin reuptake inhibitors, monoamine oxidase inhibitors - I agree with everything you say here. I made no reference to causative factors in my post above.

    Now it's getting late. So I think I'll take a few Prozacs and go to sleep.

    Good night.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •