Sanctity.

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Jaster Mereel, Sep 24, 2006.

1. Jaster Mereel Hostis Humani Generis Registered Senior Member

What is Spirituality?

One must separate the mythological from the spiritual. Spirituality is often associated with supernaturalism. This is fallacious.

The soul is the fundamental uniquity which belongs to an individual. No matter if another shares so many characteristics in common that no other may distinguish between the two individuals, the fact remains that those two individuals recognize the other as a different individual. This is the soul.

"Spirit" carries many more meanings. It can mean the same thing as the word "soul", or it can mean true intent (as in "The spirit of the Law"), or it can mean the general disposition of the individual. This is not supernaturalism in the classical sense.

In a different sense, both of these terms are a part of supernaturalist thinking. Once again, however, one must separate mythology from these core teachings of religious thought. Supernaturalism can easily be defined apart from mythology by considering anything which cannot be understood in a rational, objective manner to be "supernatural". The self (possibly the only thing I consider "supernatural") cannot be known objectively. You cannot define what the self is, only what it is not. You stand in a room. You perceive the things around you. What separates yourself from those things? You cannot know. You can only say that those thing are not yourself. You cannot say what is yourself.

But, you can know the processes which give rise to the self. You say, this is proof that the self is not supernatural. Why? This comes from an error in interpretation of the word "supernatural". It does not imply a hierarchal relationship between the natural and the supernatural. The natural gives rise to the supernatural, and also the reverse. The processes of the bain (perfectly rational, understandable, and most importantly objective processes) give rise to something as mysterious as the self, which can only be experienced. However, in the same token, the self may alter those very processes which give rise to it. No one else can experience the self of another. As I said, this uniquity constitutes the soul. The soul is the separation of one "self" from all other "selves", and so the soul shares the aspect of supernaturality with the self. Spirituality is the general disposition of the self, the "state of the soul". And thus, it also shares the aspect of supernaturality.

But I said that spirituality is not supernatural. This is true. It is not, but at the same time it is. What does this mean? It means that there is no supernatural, only aspects of the natural which we, as individuals, cannot understand rationally. In other words, the difference between the supernatural and the natural is a fundamentally arbitrary semantic distinction.

And what is Sanctity? Something which is sacred has irreducible value. This forces us to define where value comes from. Value comes from the self. It is assigned by the self upon other things. Therefore, sanctity also shares an aspect of supernaturality. The supernatural and the natural are one and the same.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Jaster Mereel Hostis Humani Generis Registered Senior Member

For the record, I'm not high. I'll probably turn this inane babble into something readable at a later date with extensive editing. Bare with me.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. lightgigantic Banned Banned

you could start by giving clear definitions of what you mean by supernatural - seems like you have simply transplanted the nebulous quality of the word "soul" onto "supernatural"

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. scorpius a realist Valued Senior Member

8. Jaster Mereel Hostis Humani Generis Registered Senior Member

Ok, I'm going to completely ignore your propoganda, and point out that you didn't even attempt to read what I wrote (I know it is difficult, considering it's bizarre structure and lack of coherence), since I actually did define the concept of the soul in a reasonable fashion. No, instead, you responded in a knee-jerk fashion to the use of the words "soul" and "spirit", instead of actually trying to make sense out of it, or at the very least asking what I meant. Try again, or take your trolling somewhere else.

9. Jaster Mereel Hostis Humani Generis Registered Senior Member

Yea, actually. That's a good idea, LG. I think I'm going to write another post which is more clear than the first. I won't even bother editing. I'll leave it up for all to see, humiliating though it is.

10. Jaster Mereel Hostis Humani Generis Registered Senior Member

I'll just stick with the original (intended) point of the thread, although I'll probably get around to the other points. The point (and the title of the thread) was sanctity. What is a sacred thing? I would say a sacred thing is something which has irreducible value, i.e. it cannot be compared in value with another thing, and thus be devalued by such a comparison. This does not say what things are sacred, it only defines what the concept means.

I would pose a question. What is sacred to you?

11. Jaster Mereel Hostis Humani Generis Registered Senior Member

Actually, you know what? This thread is dead. It started off in a really crappy manner. I think I might start a new thread at some point in the future about this stuff, but this one sucks.