Best Intentions - Dynamics of Spiritual Abuse

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by lightgigantic, Sep 23, 2006.

1. lightgigantic Banned Banned

Just a brief over view of something I am reading at the moment

Virtually all the threads that have the potential for theistic discussion are burdened down with these issues so I thought it would be interesting to address them head on - any thoughts?

(in other words since it seems they get discussed by default anyway we might as well be open about it

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

)

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Of course, religions are all manmade used to control people. The article reflects that. God delusions can therefore be used for abuse, at length and to any purpose, only to be bounded by the individuals overactive imagination.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. philosopher´s stone Banned Banned

So the definition of spiritual abuse is from your quote :
    " Denying other´s spiritual freedom through claiming that only one´s own way to god is valid "

Well if you really are totally fanatic religious , then of course your OWN way is the only CORRECT way !!!

It is of course very sad that religious people want to brainwash other people into their
    own belief ......

But then again , there is really nothing new in this !!!!!!
    If you are having a delusional faith in something , then you want other people to share your views - you feel more comforted in that way - and can relax with other people, who share your induced delusion ........

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. philosopher´s stone Banned Banned

And I am not even starting to talk about the christian paedophiles , that sexually abuse their younger followers ........... that is most often in the catholic church .....

8. lightgigantic Banned Banned

(Q)

Not sure what you are advocating - that people don't need to be controlled?

9. lightgigantic Banned Banned

not sure if you read the context of the bit I put in bold - the article is about something else actually

10. lightgigantic Banned Banned

Actually its common to experience the same "techniques" of abuse at the hands of atheists out to "convert" the masses

11. philosopher´s stone Banned Banned

Could be - at least the atheists are only trying to correct the delusions of the religious people !!!!!!!!!

12. philosopher´s stone Banned Banned

Yep , that is why I am not starting to talk about the paedophilia amongst religious people !!!

13. lightgigantic Banned Banned

Does that entitle them to be abusive too?

14. philosopher´s stone Banned Banned

Well , that actually depend of how they act - I mean if they only want to correct delusional thoughts and behaviour by talking with the religious people , then it is OK ....

If they start locking up religious people in locked psyciatric ward like the communists did in old time in the Soviet Union - then it is a wrongful abuse of religious people !!!! I do NOT aprove on that ......

15. lightgigantic Banned Banned

Actually the article refers to a very subtle form of abuse - I am not sure if you have picked up on it yet

16. philosopher´s stone Banned Banned

Thank you for pointing that out - and not attacking me personally !!!
    You are improving in your communication ......

There was talk of physical , financial and sexual abuse in your quote though !!!

I do not think the atheists have an infallible leader, totally subordinate people following them , coercion through fear , or interpreting scripture into suiting institutional agendas , nor having unrealistic expectations or premature transcendence !!!!!!!!!!

17. geeser Atheism:is non-prophet making Valued Senior Member

and where in the world do you see a group of atheist, preaching on the street corners, etc.
    and where can I find a gathering place like a hall or dare I say, an atheist church.

talk sense man or shut up.

18. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

That may be what the article says, but I don't think that it's necessarily true. For one thing, I'm of the opinion that people just like to be around, to be with, people who think and feel as they do ...it's a natural trait of animals the world over. Church helps people do that ...and people like it. And if they like it, who is to say that it's somehow wrong?

If a bunch of fishermen gather to talk about fishing, is that wrong? If a bunch of farmers gather to talk about farming, is that somehow wrong? If a bunch of drug addicts gather to talk and shoot up drugs, other than it being illegal to shoot up drugs, is it wrong for them to wnat to be with like-minded people? No, I don't think so.

If some people want to believe in god, why is that so wrong to y'all? If I want to believe in little green men on Mars, why would you be against it?

And please remember, don't make the mistake of making erroneous connections between religions, churches, etc with criminal activity. The two are completely separate issues!

Baron Max

19. philosopher´s stone Banned Banned

You are absolutely right , Baron Max !!!!

Only a small percentage of religious people are criminals - and most of them enjoy the company of people thinking like themselves .....

Unfortunately, this post is about spiritual abuse ....
    So we have to investigate the darker sides of religion - very sad , but this is the topic of the thread !!!!!!!

20. Cris In search of Immortality Valued Senior Member

Light,

Given that there is no factual authority that one can refer to validate a spiritual concept, i.e. spirituality is entirely emotionally derived by each participating individual, then spiritual abuse is nothing more than one person or group claiming their fantasy is superior to that of someone else. That someone might feel upset is of course entirely their own problem and which can be easily solved by choosing an alternative fantasy. Again without any factual reference any spiritual fantasy is as valid as any other.

21. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

The problem is when those people who take their god delusions as reality get into power and make decisions based on their religious beliefs that affect us all. That is a serious problem.

If it was just people sitting around chatting about their fantasies, I'd have no problem with that, they can fill their boots.

Of course, if you were the mayor of my town and believed in little green men from Mars, I might not vote for you next term.

22. KennyJC Registered Senior Member

Which is why religion is such a contentious issue. Astrology, for example, is benign, so we just laugh at it... Religion is something that would be laughed at in the same way if it didn't have such political power and strong tendencies towards conflicts and war.

23. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Exactly, and many of the people who have god delusions laugh at those who believe in astrology.