English and native speakers

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by spuriousmonkey, Sep 15, 2006.

1. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

How come that on this forum (and others) the native speakers often produce the worst kind of written English? You see lots of little spelling errors for instance, ones that I would never make in my native language. Then there are also the clear cases of rape of the language, often by the younger generation. And then there are several examples of native speakers unable to produce a coherent paragraph.

Why?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. thedevilsreject Registered Senior Abuser Registered Senior Member

i try not to make too many mistakes, most of the time i do its because of my typing

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. RubiksMaster Real eyes realize real lies Registered Senior Member

I have no idea. I think they are simply too lazy to proofread, or they don't know how to type very well. The younger generation raping the language is because they don't realize how uncool it is.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. leopold Valued Senior Member

have you ever thought that some people have a poor aptitude for language skills?
    oops, i forgot, only americans have that quality eh spurious?

8. thedevilsreject Registered Senior Abuser Registered Senior Member

i don't actually think my language on here is too bad, i try use proper grammar, punctuation and spelling. much more than some other 'young' people on this forum

9. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Does it annoy you in general when people use the 'young-speak' kind of language?

For me as a foreigner it is annoying in the sense that it is very difficult to follow.

10. thedevilsreject Registered Senior Abuser Registered Senior Member

yes it does, but to generalise to that extent is i guess what im disagreeing with, i hate reading comments on things like youtube like 'omg dat was like sooo kewl, wat do u guys tink of d movie like, ne1 else tink dat d ending was souta crappy'. however not everyone is like that

11. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Hmm...so it is more a matter of youth culture? Some of the young people thinking it is cool and ok.

Do they still have the ability to do it correctly though?

Or is there no correct manner anymore to approach English?

12. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Let's not forget the ability to type, also. Many people might be able to think and talk in proper English, but are lost on the keyboard ....not mention the fact that they're in a hurry to type the message ...not to mention that they might be accustomed to using textmessaging shortcuts.

But, to me, that doesn't excuse the lack of proper English grammar ....here or otherwise. A typo is one thing, but the almost-consistent misuse of language often makes me refuse to respond.

Baron Max

13. Kunax Sciforums:Reality not required Registered Senior Member

On behalf of all the people that cannot spell for what ever reason, I claim the titles of "Butcher of the writen language" and "Overload of all that is wrong grammatically"

14. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

You're welcome to make that claim, but just think about it: one usually is supposed to learn to spell and write in the very early grades of school. You admit that you didn't learn that ...even on into the higher grades of school. Thus, I have to ask myself, .....what else hasn't he learned? And should I even read anything that he posts (even if it's misspelled)?

Baron Max

15. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

However, Kunax is not a native English speaker.

16. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Same comment applies ....just change the ages at which he was supposed to have learned English. I rest my case.

Baron Max

17. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Don't be too harsh of a judge. We constantly have to remind you of things you should know too.

18. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

And I'm eternally grateful, too.

Baron Max

19. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

bcos nobdy cares abt spelling and grammar wen posting on a forum

20. Kunax Sciforums:Reality not required Registered Senior Member

Well Baron i am aware of my short commings and if i choose to I can even write some what proberly or at the very least pull on "external" resources to aid me if I fell it's needed.

So i ask you this Baron, Do you know yourself are you willing to admit your failurs and ask for help? are you really that fast to write people of? what about disabled people are there "value" void for you aswell?

To the monkey of infinite wisdow, may his skys be for ever rid of mosquitoes:
    Maybe the native english speakers are more casual in there writing and will there for not concentrate to much on how correct or incorrect there gramma is.

21. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

What failures I have I keep to myself as much as possible .....I surely don't go to some place that specializes in something that I'm not equipped to handle. If you can't communicate, you shouldn't go to a site that requires such communication.

Yes, I am! If you're fuckin' handicapped, then stay away from the very thing that amplifies that handicap! To do otherwise is to hold yourself up to scrutiny and ridicule. If you can't play football, should others allow you on the field of play? Why? That's the epitome of stupidity. Go play with other handicapped people!

Learn to spell, learn to write, learn to type, .....then come back and hide your handicaps from us.

Baron Max

22. The Devil Inside Banned Banned

nobody can top duendy.

23. Kunax Sciforums:Reality not required Registered Senior Member

How sad, you tiny little man so afraid of yourself, so afraid other might see and judge you. Anywho you served a purpose here, as our little live guinea pig you have showen us how people try to hide there short commings, afraind they might be judge by there peers.

Still afraid of what others might think, admit your faults and forget puny humans that scrutiny and ridicule.
    Why stay areway from things your bad at, i see it as a challenge and is there are greater challenge then to do something your bad at.

I can only assume you refere to a game between friends, so the answer is: Ofcause my dear Watson.