Is Cell Phone Radiation Harmful? Vote....

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by mercaptan, Sep 14, 2006.

?

Is Cell Phone Radiation Harmful?

1. Yes

4 vote(s)
    22.2%
  2. No

10 vote(s)
    55.6%
  3. Inconclusive

4 vote(s)
    22.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mercaptan Das Feuer liebt mich Registered Senior Member

Does cell phone rediation pose a risk to human health? Please provide reasons why you think what you think.

I just talked to someone (future physicist) who says all the talk about cell phones damaging skin tissue on a molecular basis is just bullshit. Thinking to myself, it seems to me he would be right. Where did this supposed danger originate? Cell phone radiation is basically just some low energy radiation such as radio or microwave radiation (both are non-ionizing forms of radiation). So if you are holding the cell phone to your head, the only thing that might happen is some warming of the surrounding tissue by your ear. How could this heating in any way be harmful? It's just some heat, right?

Opinions please....

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

http://www.fda.gov/fdac/features/2000/600_phone.html

http://www.forbes.com/lifestyle/health/feeds/hscout/2006/01/19/hscout530453.html

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Only four years of study? Perhaps the horrid cancers and tumors and such occur at five years, not just four? Then what? Oh, wait, I know ..."they" would issue a new study, right? ...LOL!

Baron Max

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. leopold Valued Senior Member

the major problem with cell phones is the calls could not be traced.
    that is fast changing.
    therefor the radiation risk will decrease.
    catch my drift?

8. imaplanck. Banned Banned

NO! The layman needs to learn the distiction between microwave radiation and ionizing radiation.

9. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

It's too soon to tell. There will be more conclusive evidence 15 years down the line.

10. Vega Banned Banned

No such evidence exists for people although microwaves emitted from cell phones have fried a few rat brain cells recently!

11. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I'd like to see a link to the study.

12. Blindman Valued Senior Member

The most MW radiation can do is heat your brain cells a little, and I mean a very minor amount, much less then normal body temperature fluctuations. If you are worried about this then you should be more worried about putting a hat on, or thinking to hard as both heat up your brain more then the MW radiation from your mobile phone.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2006
  13. Maast AF E-7 Retired Registered Senior Member

RF energy is non-ionizing, which means it does not strip electrons from atoms and thus drive chemical reactions. At the absolute most it increases temperature in resonant water molecules a extremely small fraction of a degree.

You have to realize that RF energy is just light, only at a different frequency than you can see.

You're getting more warming from the light emitted by the monitor you're reading this from

14. Facial Valued Senior Member

15. phlogistician Banned Banned

No.

Also, why do people protest when telecoms companies want to site masts near them? Is a mast 100yards away more of a risk than a cellphone by your ear? Well, of course not.

16. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

I would raise concern about alzheimers potentially developing from mobile use. The studies that were done did suggest that the radiation can increase a persons brainspeed which in turn could suggest that long term use will eventually cause greater wear and tear on the brain areas that are closer to the source. In this particular instance the Temporal Lobes which are commonly identified as being areas that can define both Epilepsy and Schizophrenia.

However do you think the mass marketing engine and mobile phone industry would identify risk considering how much money they actually make (and how much tax they would be charged should the risk be shown to be great?)

On top of that, what is radiology doing to the ecology? Okay radiology is absorbed by plantlife however it's also potential a chemistry catalyst in regards to atmospheric gases.

17. phlogistician Banned Banned

IIRC that result only happened for people that were using old analogue cellphones, and there was no discernable effect when people used modern, GSM phones?

I'll try and dig out the source, but this wouldn't be a problem in Europe, as we are completely GSM now. Does the USA still have any analogue services left?

edit:

Apparently there is still analogue in the USA;

http://cellphones.about.com/cs/buyersguides/a/analog.htm

18. lightgigantic Banned Banned

I've herad that living in a certain radiusofhigh voltage power housesand powerline increases the chance ofchildren developing leukimea

I have heard that navy radar tower operators can only have female children after 4 years and are sterile after 10

I have heard that mobilephone towers affect the development of mosquito larvea and coconuts.

19. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member

I've heard that lightgigantic is a retard.
    But I'm not sure if it was a reliable source.

20. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Saying something doesn't make it true. And hearing something is even less reliable. Surely you don't believe everything that you hear? And if not, then why would you pass it on as if it were true?

Baron Max

21. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

I think it was sarcastic?

I heard that Baron Max was a delightfully honest person.

22. imaplanck. Banned Banned

The thing is with cancers is that it's hard to pinpoint the cause. Theres hardly likely to be a significant coincidental increase in cancers in these microwave sorce areas anyway, but the irrational public fear of anything with the word radiation

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

, combined with a miniscule head count of cancers means a big buck scare story.
    There is no measurable rem in microwaves so it's complete lunacy for a proper honest scientist to cherry pick some incidents of increased cancer rates that just so happen to be near a microwave source and blame it on that.

23. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Well, Nick, it's pretty damned hard to be dishonest when all one does is ask questions, ain't it?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Baron Max

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.