Are atheists better people?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Theoryofrelativity, Aug 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

I have been pondering this recently:

Note, although I believe in God, I have no religion, thus am not indoctrinated as such, so I follow my own personal moral code. In fact I am in many ways less flexible in my morals than the average religious. I don't for example consider it proper for children to be allowed to play in graveyards, yet I note that the congregation often allow their chidlren to do so.

All this aside, my ponderance is thus:

Most religions seem to possess a fair amount of 'God fearing' which guides peoples actions (for the greater good generally) but I wonder how much genuine goodness is possessed or demosntrated by these individuals or how much is based on fearing the consequences if they did otherwise?

I guess this could also apply generally to the law, ie. how many of us would steal if it was legal to do so.

I have the following points for discussion:

Atheists
    1)Atheists are good without the 'fear' of God's wrath, so does that make them genuinely good as oppose to 'forced to be good'?

2) Are atheists less likely to be bound by 'law' and normal cultural conventions in the absence of their ability to be 'influenced' or 'controlled'?
    May they be thus more anti convention, rebellious ...anarchists?

3)Is the fact their moral code is self determined mean it is stronger and less likely to deviate than that of a theist who has been indoctrinated with fear based goodness?

Theists
    4) Are theists as result of their early compliance with 'rules' more susceptible in general to other forms of law abiding or worse manipulation?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. The Devil Inside Banned Banned

yes, after reading this subforum, i can say without a doubt that atheists are better people.
    heh.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Read the post cheeky

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. perplexity Banned Banned

The proposition is dubious.

Does it mean that we are seriously expected to suppose that in either case what they actually do meaningfully corresponds to what they profess, or does it mean to indirectly call that into question?

--- Ron.

8. Dug-T Registered Senior Member

number 1 and number 3 are correct for me, number 2 nah

me = a proud free thought athiest

9. Dug-T Registered Senior Member

oh and i agree on number 4 about thiests

10. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

no, not indirectly calling it into question.

Thre are two things here

1) I have always asked myself how much 'natural good' I possess and how much is fear based, ie law, cultural norms of behaviour etc. How much good I do because I get a personal reward in that I in turn feel pleasure etc, rather than what is natural again.

So I wondered, is the absence of 'God fearing' one less thing to influence 'good behaviour' so that any resulting 'good behaviour' is more likely to be genuine example fo goodness.

2) Does the absence of being susceptible to god belief make them less susceptible also to other indoctrinated systems of belief that are not concerned with religion. Are atheist more likely to be anarchists as a result, in minor or major way?

(reverse re theists etc)

Does this make sense? Sorry if I am unclear.

11. Dug-T Registered Senior Member

Yeah because athiest have no ideals to live up to, and i think if you're a bad person your just bad religion or no religion, i mean look at all those murdering prisoners who see god when they are in prison for so long, they think confessing blah etc they will get a chance to be free'd etc, its all bullshit to me, live yer life good and woteva happens at the end happens we cant judge who goes where and so forth..... Sorry religious people but we aint that special, and just remember religion is man made.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

12. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

why do you agree?

13. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

I concur.

14. Dug-T Registered Senior Member

The manipulation part, its a form of control.

15. Dug-T Registered Senior Member

I'm law abiding just down to my common sense and good nature, not because of some rules in a book.

16. Dug-T Registered Senior Member

I never said me........ relatity was talking about thiests, i aint a thiest read again....

17. Dug-T Registered Senior Member

haha at perplexity deleting his post omg... plz read before posting thanks lol

18. perplexity Banned Banned

I was going to rephrase:

Belief is voluntary, is it not?

19. Dug-T Registered Senior Member

in some cases some people are easily manipulated though, fear? or depression? who knows

20. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Undoubtedly.

21. perplexity Banned Banned

I don't like the idea of control because it allows the excuse:

With God on their side they'll do all sorts of horrible things that they'd do anyway, but without the sense of personal responsibility.

--- Ron.

22. Dug-T Registered Senior Member

This is not what you said above, and me being athiest course i think its voluntary personally but i would die first than be manipulated.
    The day i give in to religion will be the day i hope i'm dead and cremated, which means it will never happen, as long as i am breathing..

23. Dug-T Registered Senior Member

Neither do i... thats why i'm athiest.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.