Jehovah Witness

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by alexb123, Aug 7, 2006.

1. alexb123 The Amish web page is fast! Valued Senior Member

What are your views on this religion?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Dug-T Registered Senior Member

even more crazy than the rest

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Naat Scientia potestas est. Registered Senior Member

They believe in what they do - respect for that.
    They annoy everyone - I don´t like being annoyed. :bugeye:

As I undesrtand they take The Bible literally. I can´t take them seriously because of that.
    Rejection of blood transfusions - Unlogical idiocy.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. pragmathen 0001 1111 Registered Senior Member

They tend to take a very literal interpretation on the Bible, though they've excised more than the KJV. Believing that there are exactly 144,000 elite that will be taken up into heaven, they constantly struggle to be able to join this super-friends list. Converting a non-beliver grants them a certain amount of points and they are tireless workers, where every member is a proselytizing missionary. They gain more points if they manage to convert fellow Christians to their cause; the most points are earned for converting members of other religions that also proselytize (i.e., Mormons).

They hand out pamphlets everywhere, namely The Watchtower, with detailed views of the bounty that awaits the believers in heaven (gourds filled with all kinds of foods, multi-cultured peoples bedecked in ceremonial robes) and the hell that awaits the non-believers (20-ft devils with cloven hooves, wielding whips and chains and murals of fiery torment).

They usually know their scriptures quite well, but are genuinely at a loss if a fellow Christian quotes a passage (out of a common Bible) that happens to not be in their revised version. They seem affable, albeit hiding deep ulterior motives--you're just a number they're hoping to cash to gain entry to the elite 144k.

8. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

It is best viewed from a distance.

9. audible un de plusieurs autres Registered Senior Member

ophiolite: just love that answer.

alexb123:they are as about as loving as a bullet in the head, would you leave your child to die, when it could have a blood transfusion. just a bunch of religious nut jobs.

10. q0101 Registered Senior Member

You forgot about paradise earth. The righteous people that are not worthy of the 144000 group will get to live forever in a world that is exactly like the garden of Eden. Those that are not worthy of heaven or paradise earth will burn in hell for an eternity.

11. Gordon Registered Senior Member

'Jehovah' Witnesses' is a cult based on belief in their own adapted translation version of the Bible which they claim is more accurate but which any good scholarship can prove is not and on some very esoteric intepretations of it (including 'do not drink blood = no blood transfusions etc.). These intepretations are distributed through their own publications such as 'Watchtower' and JW's are required to believe that these intepretations are correct and represent the true word of God. Individual enquiry, debate and intepretation are most definitely not encouraged!

They are way outside any conventional Christian theology.

There is, as I have stated, no room in the cult (as with most) for personal enquiry and intepretation. The official intepretations have changed in many ways over the years (often very significantly) including a number of (clearly incorrect) prophesies of the end of the world (the last 'absolutely certain one' - as a JW friend told me in 1970, being 1975!). All of the changes and incorrect predictions can again be checked through the historical records of the various publications from their Bethel HQ but again their members are not exactly encouraged to do this and often later official JW quotes of the earlier documents have changed the history of what was written! Fortunately there are plenty of original copies of the time still around to be able check what was actually written and not what the present JW organisation says was written. The whole (extremely rich) edifice of Bethel and the Watchtower Society rests upon these multiple lies.

Most of the members are of course unaware of this (and kept so!) and are for the most part normal honest decent people who are just seriously misled (if not brainwashed) by the organisation.

The cult was founded in the nineteenth century by an extremely disreputable character, Charles Taze Russell (1852-1916). Details of his life are a matter of public record although JW's again are not generally encouraged to find out too much about him!

We have a couple of ex JW's in our church and I have known several others over the years. The worst part of their belief system is that it is so legalistically exclusive as to disregard love and compassion. This means not only that its members are more than actively discouraged from investigating anything outside of the JW's and particularly any criticism of the cult (all such information being regarded as evil) but also should for instance only one parent leave the cult, the family unit is automatically broken up since the remaining parent cannot remain living with someone who has left the cult. This has happened to one of the ex JW's in my church (a former JW elder). In respect of the other former JW, he was ostracised by his fellow JW's (whom he had communed with for some time) when his wife walked out and left him (with small children). You can imagine that this opened his eyes somewhat to the true nature of the cult.

This is the real issue. The love of God seems to be totally missing. They are rather like latter day Pharisees or Sadducees. They often know scripture (or at least their intepretation of their version of it) but they show no love towards people who are not JW's and are extremely nasty towards any of their own brethren who choose to think for themselves or leave. Anyone who leaves is of course as far as the cult is concerned damned and will be destroyed (no everlasting Hell in JW Theology).

All in all, they have a veneer of niceness hiding some pretty nasty attributes which is fairly typical of cults.

kind regards,

Gordon.

12. Vega Banned Banned

Can't count on them for national defence in times of crisis since they do not enlist in the military.
    Apart of that their study groups are the most interesting. I use to attend their meetings a few times a couple years ago to feed my curiosity and my lust for this hot chic that use to attend. I learnt that they emphasize alot on scriptural detail like for example take a insignificant little battle from scripture fought between two tribes and expand it to a level where they actually discuss the actual terrain,vegetation and type of tree's grown in that area.
    The founders use this kind detail analysis of scripture to captivate their followers by showing how precise and accurate their teachings are.

13. hyperqube Methuselah's Monkey Registered Senior Member

they also believe that michael and jesus are the same person which is wrong.