Why Are Momma Jokes Offensive?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Athelwulf, Jul 14, 2006.

?

Are you offended by momma jokes?

1. Yes.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No.

11 vote(s)
    68.8%
  3. Yo momma smell so bad she kill flies.

5 vote(s)
    31.3%
  1. Athelwulf Rest in peace Kurt... Registered Senior Member

This is something I just don't get. Whenever someone makes a joke about my mom to me, I just look at them oddly and wonder; it honestly doesn't faze me one bit. But when I tell a momma joke to someone, they tend to hate me for a long time afterwards.

Tell me: Are these guys just pussies or something, or is there a good reason to be so deeply offended by such jokes?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

I think it is because most men have a good relationship with their mother. Any attempt to degrade the character of his mother is seen as an attack on his own character.

I rarely hear these being told to females.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. crazyfreespirit "Custom User Title" Registered Senior Member

I never knew they were offensive...I'd say they're pussies. Those jokes get thrown around all the time and no one thinks twice about it in my experience.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Athelwulf Rest in peace Kurt... Registered Senior Member

This is a plausible hypothesis.

Yeah, I was starting to think about that once I posted the thread.

Well, in my experience, there's throwing those jokes around like, "I'm being funny, lawl!", and then there's saying them to someone with the intent to insult them. It's the difference between people knowing no one's being serious and a few people going into a fit of rage.

8. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

We older folks kind of scratch our heads. We don't think they're offensive or funny. We just don't get momma jokes.

9. Athelwulf Rest in peace Kurt... Registered Senior Member

I guess it correlates with one's maturity?

10. Zephyr Humans are ONE Registered Senior Member

Deep seated identification with family unit or something?

11. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

Depends on the kind of jokes and pretty much the context it was said in.

During a Basketball game: "you suck"..."yeah well thats not what your mom said last night"....laughter ensues...friendly guy trash talk.

During an argument in a bar where one thing leads to another: You're a fucking dick" ..."yeah well your mom didn't have any complaints last night"....brawl ensues.

also because most people like to believe they have a sense of humor.....perception is relative, however.

12. Mr. G reality.sys Valued Senior Member

Some folks are offended when their momma is diagnosed with bacterial skin-eating disease and she's given only 80 years to live.

13. Killjoy Propelling The Farce!! Valued Senior Member

This reminds me of an old Saturday Night Live skit wherein they were parodying the film The Excorcist. I believe Richard Prior was playing the role of the priest performing said ritual.
    The possessed li'l girl ranted on a bit mocking him, and his reply to all the insults was something characteristically "priestly", but he finally went berserk and grabbed her by the neck in a stranglehold when she growled:
    YO MAMA SEWS SOCKS THAT SMELL !!!

I think the extra-specially offensive nature of Momma Jokes (to some, at least) has something to do with the oft-held perception of "MoM" as the all-pure, all-giving, all -loving, all-forgiving font of fuzzy-wuzzy goodness and cookies & like that there, and how dare some no good stinkin' sumbitch say a harsh word against this iconic symbol of all that is good and pure and just and whatever...

ie - Plain old stupidity and utter and absolute misconception, as usual...
    LoL

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

14. Roman Banned Banned

Trying insulting someone's mother in a Latin American country. You'll be lucky if all you get is headbutted.

15. Killjoy Propelling The Farce!! Valued Senior Member

Buy me a plane ticket ?

LoL

¡ su mmma cose los calcetines que huelen !

16. nicholas1M7 Banned Banned

I went down to Las Vegas lookin fer a hooker, but I only had a penny, so I went back up to Thunder Bay and got ya maam instead, when she came, I found out why she was so cheap, she looked like a man. But I wasn't one to argue, so I told her to suck until I was happy, then she tried to man up coz she didn't like bein down there for too long, so she pulled out a dick and I was like, "I knew it! I just didn't think such things were possible," so I smacked her and told her, "shut yah face! SHUT THE F*CK UP!" and she was like "yo! I can do more for two penny" and then I said, "get outta my face" and she was like "ooooh you bad" then I said, "Who looks like they talkin dirty to you? Not me yah dutty raas" and then I took back my penny and said "good riddance" and I jet.

Like dat.

17. §outh§tar is feeling caustic Registered Senior Member

i remember hearing somewhere that it's a characteristically western thing to wound an adversary not by going after him, but after the females in his life. where i was from this sort of thing is unheard of, utterly alien to the culture.

as we all like to say... "only in america!"

18. Athelwulf Rest in peace Kurt... Registered Senior Member

Uh, yeah. Like that. :bugeye:

Where are you from, exactly? I had always thought you were a plain American.

19. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

I bet he is a silly Canadian.

20. nicholas1M7 Banned Banned

Its not like theres a big difference. Canada is the 51st state.

21. leopold Valued Senior Member

yo momma is so fat her portrait is an aerial photo.

yo mamma is so fat every time she turns around people say 'welcome back'

22. thedevilsreject Registered Senior Abuser Registered Senior Member

is zidane living in peru now?

23. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Sure. But do they tell momma jokes down there? That's the point.
    "Your momma mends stinky socks" ?

Either something got lost in the translation, or this could explain why momma jokes aren't common in Spanish-speaking countries.