What was the sin of Sodom?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Gordon, Jun 23, 2006.

1. Gordon Registered Senior Member

As we seem to be getting a lot of discussion around homosexuality and the word 'sodomy' has been used, it might be useful to actually put the record straight.

The sin of Sodom was not connected with homosexuality.

Ezekiel 16 states what it actually was,

49 " 'Now this was the sin of your sister Sodom: She and her daughters were arrogant, overfed and unconcerned; they did not help the poor and needy. 50 They were haughty and did detestable things before me. Therefore I did away with them as you have seen. (NIV).

Further detail is given in the non canonical (but quoted in scriptural Books of Joshua and Samuel) Book of Jasher Chapter 19 (http://www.ccel.org/a/anonymous/jasher/19.htm for those interested).

It is sad that some translations have chosen to use the Hebrew word for 'know' in its minority usage of 'have sex with' in this particular story when it is certain from the background in Jasher and Ezekiel that it simply meant to 'know' as in 'find out who they were'. This also much better explains the action of Lot. he was prepared to distract the angry people by giving his virgin daughters over for them to have sex with (a strange thing to do if they were homosexual!) rather than see the strangers murdered.

The bottom line is that the Sodomites were rich, did not like poor strangers coming in to their city who they might have to support with what they considered to be their 'hard earned wealth' and they normally killed any that came in. Some of us may find chilling parallels with the treatment of some immigrants in some cities in our own times.

regards,

Gordon.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

M*W: You are right on target. Here's a post I submitted on 07/23/05:

To add a footnote to this explanation, there is a salt pillar on a mountain in the area of the Dead Sea which is known as "Lot's Wife." Therefore, the story of S&G is a story about how that mountain came to be and not about real human beings.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Woody Musical Creationist Registered Senior Member

If you're an active homosexual then every hog in america is ashamed of you.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

Gurgulfrump?

8. Woody Musical Creationist Registered Senior Member

I heard it today on the preaching channel:

"If you're an active homosexual then every hog in america is ashamed of you."

Dr. Lester Sumrall (1913-1996)

9. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

It's a pretty darn silly statement there, woodster.

10. SnakeLord snakeystew.com Valued Senior Member

Preaching channel? Lol, hope you guys don't have to buy a license to watch TV. Clearly it wouldn't be worth the money.

11. Gordon Registered Senior Member

Anyone who incites hatred against any group of people on the basis of race, sex, ethnic origin, sexual orientation, religious belief, choice of lifestyle or whatever is not following the words and actions of Jesus Christ - end of story!

kind regards,

Gordon.

12. Hapsburg Hellenistic polytheist Valued Senior Member

Only two possible possiblities that I see: either god as the bible depicts does not exist, or god is a bipolar psychopath, and sociopath, and a dickhead with multiple-personality-disorder.

13. Quigly ......................... ..... Registered Senior Member

Coming from one who doesn't know God...that is a good word to listen to...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

14. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

I'd like to think that Dr. Lester Sumrall is, as I write, getting relentlessly bummed in Hell.

But he's probably been made a saint.