Road Trip

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by rob k, Jun 3, 2006.

1. rob k Registered Senior Member

My wife and I are touring the west coast of America this summer. It's something we've wanted to do for a while and are both very much looking forward to it. We both come from England and spend most our summers exploring a different part of America or Canada.

We've hired a car (Chrysler Sebring 2 Door Auto or similar - any good?) for just under four weeks. The pick up point is San Francisco and the drop off point is Las Vegas. The basic route is going to be down the west coast to Los Angeles then inland to Vegas, stopping off in motels on the way.

We're putting together a list of things we'd like to see during the trip. For example, the San Francisco Bridge and Death Valley. My wife is a celebrity freak so we'll no doubt end up on a tour of Beverley Hills, but I'm hoping there are members on the board that could recommend some other places of interest to visit that aren't tourist traps.

All suggestions welcome.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

In Northern California:

* The coast along highway 1
    * Carmel
    * Alcatraz
    * Pier 39 (and surrounding area... stop by the Buena Vista -a place that serves irish coffe in walking distance-)
    * Coit Tower
    * Hait Ashbury
    * Lake Taho
    * Yosemite (I highly recommend the mist trail and spider caves)
    * Paramounts Great America
    * Santa Cruz Mountains
    * Santa Cruze Boardwalk
    * Santa Barbara Mountains
    * Coyote Point
    * Exploratorium
    * Museam of Modern Art
    * Pac Bell Park (Baseball)
    * Saucalito

That should keep you busy. I've never seen a Chrysler Sebring; however, pretty much any rental car is the same. Because you are not native drivers I highly recommend buying the extra insurance the rental dealership offers. If anything happens you get to simply 'walk away' (folks are a little sue-happy in the bay area).

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Neildo Gone Registered Senior Member

Lemme know when you reach the Santa Barbara area or Highway 1.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

- N

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. rob k Registered Senior Member

Thanks Crunchy Cat, I'll look into all those places. I forgot about Alcatraz, We'll definately go there.

My wife is a better driver than me (well, so she says) so she'll be doing most of the driving. I've already taken the max insurance cover on the car, but thanks for the tip.

Neildo, I'll look out for you!

8. draqon Banned Banned

rob...what do you call it...that red pine forest park...were really old pine trees are. Or was this mentioned?

Also San Diego has an awsome huge zoo. Go there.

And also visit the water park near San Diego. Forgot how its called.

9. Neildo Gone Registered Senior Member

Yeah, Sea World too.

Soak City USA?

- N