To what extend is pain important?

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Xeeg, May 21, 2006.

?

To what extent should "pain" be a factor when improving the state of humanity?

1. Pain doesn't matter at all.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Pain should be avoided when possible.

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  3. Pain should be allowed only when humanity is threatened.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Pain should be avoided at all costs.

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. Xeeg Registered Member

As an engineering student I have a habit of looking at human problems and trying to understanding them on a more fundamental level. I used to be quite a pacifist and, at some points in my life, struggled with the ideas of vegetarianism and so on. I guess i never really wanted to cause things pain.

However recently i've been thinking alot about what pain is, at least on the physical sense. Ok so take your hand and touch a really hot burner. Yeah that hurts, the heat transfer rate between your hand and the burner causes the molecules in your hand to get very very excited, and some chemical process start to occur as well. Great. Well that doesn't sound so evil does it? In fact, its party time at the hand!
    Things hurt as a part of our evolution, it comes from when our bodies change too fast and nerves get stressed. Now think of the pain when doing pushups, or stretching your legs. Its virtually the same thing, stressing the nerves, but we associate this with "good pain". In fact, most of the things that i value from in my own life have caused me some kind of pain or stress to obtain. I know it hurts, but im thinking of my personal benefits.

I guess my question goes out to society. Nowadays, there is a wideheld belief in popular society that causing pain on things is to be discouraged by every means possible. We call this "acting humanely", although humans are capable of everything we have done historically, and alot of it caused pain.

Basically, to what extend should the topic of "pain" be used to justify halting other important activities we take to improve the state of humanity on this planet?

I'm not talking about useless activites such as torture. Which have no value. Even I would admit to being a communist alien from the planet Ooga Booga, with plans of mass of destruction for all houses on this world, if i thought it would cause the pain to end. Nor am i talking about using pain for the sole purpose of fun or entertainment.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

I voted "pain should be avoided when possible".
    The only context where pain is within the realm of intentional direct human control is torture.
    Every other time, it's a byproduct. Examples:
    -wars are fought by killing an enemy. Painful wounds are the byproduct from the specific attacks that did not result in imediate death.
    -The goal of surgical procedures is to heal, but pain is the byproduct of the procedure
    -pain is the byproduct of the hammer falling on your foot
    -the hero knows he has to endure pain to run through the fire, but pain is the byproduct of saving the child.

Humans should avoid torture because it sucks, but it's neccesary in the circumstances where it's needed to achieve a goal. The goal does not need to be threatening to humanity.
    - the death of the kidnapped child does not threaten humanity, but the torture of the captured kidnapper becomes neccesary in order to locate the child.

-P.S.--- the rules do not apply to BME finatics.

Last edited: May 21, 2006
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Archie Registered Senior Member

I could not reply to your poll; none of the options apply.

* Pain is a warning device. Pain indicates something is wrong; touching a burner, for instance.

* Pain reminds one that one is alive. If it doesn't react to pain, it's dead.

* Pain - in an emotional or spiritual sense - destroys the illusion we are self-sufficient.

I think these factors apply to humanity in general.

The 'pain' of drought, famine and starvation indicates something is wrong. The 'pain' of war indicates something is wrong. The 'pain' of natural disaster and epidemic indicate something is very, very wrong.

That humanity reacts to these 'pain' stimuli indicates humanity is still alive; the human race can adapt, reassess and rectify the damage humanity has done to itself.

The 'pain' humanity currently suffers demonstrates the wrongness and twisted view humanity currently holds, both of itself and the world around it. Humanity is clearly insufficient in and of itself to fix what is wrong.

Part of the current problem is humanity has focused on the pain and not on the problem. Fixing the symptom does not cure the cause.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. LeeDa Danger! Read with caution. Registered Senior Member

Something is wrong. Heads up.

Call me psychic.

MOVE

8. Mosheh Thezion Registered Senior Member

pain... is ALL important... when you are in pain, and just important when your not.
    -MT

9. Xeeg Registered Member

Archie, i meant pain in a different context. The answers to my poll specifically reflect this context. Which is, to what extend should we inflict pain on other living things for the sake of humanity, science, tradition or luxury.
    Some expamples...

Lab rats.
    French cuisine "Foie gras".
    Native american baby seal hunts.
    Overcrowded dairy farms.