Do all the commandments matter?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Finsnuffle, Apr 6, 2006.

1. Finsnuffle Registered Member

In the gospels, Jesus tells a rich man that he needs to follow six commandments to reach heaven: do not lie, do not steal, do not kill, do not commit adultery, and honor your parents. Later, he says the most important commandment is to love god.

Does that mean the commandments against using the name in vain, breaking the sabbath, and idolatry don't really matter?

If they matter, why?

If they don't matter, why did God issue them in the first place?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Adstar Valued Senior Member

Read the scriptures very carefuly

Matthew 19
    16 Now behold, one came and said to Him, “Good Teacher, what good thing shall I do that I may have eternal life?”
    17 So He said to him, “Why do you call Me good?[f] No one is good but One, that is, God. But if you want to enter into life, keep the commandments.”
    18 He said to Him, “Which ones?”
    Jesus said, “ ‘You shall not murder,’ ‘You shall not commit adultery,’ ‘You shall not steal,’ ‘You shall not bear false witness,’ 19 ‘Honor your father and your mother,’[h] and, ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’”
    20 The young man said to Him, “All these things I have kept from my youth. What do I still lack?”
    21 Jesus said to him, “If you want to be perfect, go, sell what you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me.”
    22 But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful, for he had great possessions.

Now Jesus was letting the young man know that He was not perfect and all fall short of the Law. No one can earn eternity by the Law because no one can be perfect.

The only Way to eternity is through forgiveness for falling short of the Law, not in achieving perfection by doing the Law.

So one asks what is the point of the Law.

The Law is a great blessing to those who know it. It is the best guide for life ever given to man. People who do their best to follow this great advice will live a more healthy, Longer and long lasting Life.

The Law also lets us know that we are not perfect. No matter how hard one tries, no one can live their lives without falling short of the Law. Once ones knows that one cannot become perfect then one will seek atonement for this.
    This is where Jesus come into the picture. Jesus provides us atonement for falling short of perfection.

So the Law is a blessing in two ways It helps us live better lives and also brings us to seek forgiveness from God because of our lack of ability to do the law perfectly.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

Last edited: Apr 6, 2006
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. mustafhakofi I sa'id so Registered Senior Member

live by you own conscience, no need for somebody elses rules, yours are the most moral, how could anyone follow the commandments of a god that does'nt follow them it's self.
    to lead, is to lead by example.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Light Travelling It's a girl O lord in a flatbed Ford Registered Senior Member

Romans chapter 2

2.14:For when the Gentiles who do not have the law by nature observe the prescriptions of the law, they are a law for themselves even though they do not have the law.

2.15: They show that the demands of the law are written in their hearts, while their CONSCIENCE also bears witness and their conflicting thoughts accuse or even defend them.

As a gentile, seems the bible agrees with you (or you with the bible)

8. mustafhakofi I sa'id so Registered Senior Member

the bible is the thing, I disagree with. so I'm certainly not agreeing with that, however there may be similaritys, but that means nothing they still followed the basic ten commandments, from a god, who did'nt, there is no comparison.

9. PsychoticEpisode It is very dry in here today Valued Senior Member

The commandments are such an obvious man-made constuct that it boggles the imagination to have them credited to a god, especially one that has given his monkeymen freewill. The first 'thou shalt not' is a direct contradiction of any freewill agreement. If this was a union shop the inhabitants would have the right to grieve.

Somewhere in the past, before bibles were invented, when the early holy men decided to announce freewill was god's gift to us, people took it to heart. After a while it was apparent this was not going to work. Afterall, we were only doing what we thought we were allowed to do. Killing, screwing your neighbor, stealing a goat, pissing god off et cetera was bound to happen in a freewill society. So it was decided to have god intervene. It was common sense to lay down a few laws to get things under some control.

Of course my story is bullshit but I'm only trying to impress upon you that people will figure things out themselves if given enough time. Hell, we're still trying. We're not perfect. Actually I think that whoever convinced the populace that the commandments were divine based did more to make god believeable than anything ever tried before. Hard to believe there are some out there who think that we wouldn't have ever thought of similar laws. Give yourself some credit people.

10. Finsnuffle Registered Member

Thanks guys. I had my own ideas but was curious about the general consensus on it.