Evolution of Man?

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Woody, Mar 4, 2006.

1. Woody Musical Creationist Registered Senior Member

Hello to all.

I circulated a thread on the religion thread, and didn't get much of a response concerning human evolution.

Has anyone in the science community come up with a pre-human predecessor that can be shown to be such?

It's not neanderthal man.

What is the closest "relative" that precedes man?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Probably homo antecessor. If you are comfortable going back a little further in time then homo erectus is definitely a progenitor.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. TheAlphaWolf Registered Senior Member

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Woody Musical Creationist Registered Senior Member

OPHI -- What is the fossil evidence for homo antecessor?

from the source:

Why did the others die off? Is Homo that poorly adapted?

On an evolutionary scale, a few hundred thousand years from the origin of a species to its extinction is really short-term. This is the case presented for the evolution of man.

What do you suppose the world population was on some of the "other" forms of man at any given time?

I read where homo sapiens was down to a population of about 2,000 at one time -- certainly not enough to be in competition with other forms of man around the world.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2006
  8. TheAlphaWolf Registered Senior Member

We outcompeted many of them; and some, like the hobbit (homo floridensis or something?) probably got killed by that huge supervolcano eruption which almost killed US too, etc.
    The bottleneck effect you're talking about was because of that supervolcano, which affected pretty much the whole world, not just us.

9. Woody Musical Creationist Registered Senior Member

AW said,

With such a big world and such small populations -- what would we be competing for? There are around 8 billion homo sapiens on the earth right now and we manage to survive. Back then there was maybe what 50,000? There are more street people walking around the US. That's one homo sapiens back then for every 160 thousand that are here today.

If the extinct homos were more intelligent than apes then why couldn't they outcompete apes? Were they inferior even to apes?

10. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

It's interesting and fun to watch someone who clearly knows so little about current evolutionary thinking try to not-so-subtly build a case for man having no ancestors thus proving that god created man directly in his image.

11. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

I'm enjoying it.

12. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

On the other hand:

Woody, this is a science forum. Science is founded upon the gathering of evidence, the construction of hypotheses, the testing of these hypotheses, followed by their refinement and adaptation (or outright rejection), leading, ultimately to a well attested theory.

Such has been the case in the development of evolutionary theory, which has been repeatedly confirmed by evidence from palaeontology, comparative anatomy and physiology, genetics, microbiology, botany and zoology. It is not based upon faith, superstition, or adherence to a warped agenda.

I have no idea what your motivation is for continuously returning to sci.forums with your blinkered attitudes, naive questions and persistent demonstration of your deep ignorance. There is little point in responding to the exposition of your unshakeable, yet flawed beliefs. There are plenty of others on this site who will deal with that.

I have decided, therefore, to spend the time that would be wasted with one ignoramus here, to seek out some Creationist discussion boards and deal directly and simultaneously with many of your ilk. It is my hope that that offers the possibility of saving some from the dark well of superstition and devil inspired myopia. Certainly I shall bring to them a depth of knowledge of Scripture that will far surpass your knowledge of evolution. Perhaps I shall see you there. I certainly intend to avoid seeing you here.

13. Singularity Banned Banned

dont just rely on fossils, do some genetic findings too.

14. Singularity Banned Banned

Apes were not in competetion, I think.

There is a merger theory too. No one was ever defeated the merger of the species eleminates the inferior genes through natural selection.

r u a skeptic ?

15. Woody Musical Creationist Registered Senior Member

Superliminal said,

I'd say it's interesting and fun to watch how "current evolutionary thinking" changes so often. It clearly shows how little the last batch of "evolutionary faithful" knew, and how flawed your current beliefs will probably be when "current thinking" changes again.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I'm not saying it couldn't happen -- the scientist in me says "Where is the proof?" Then you guys tell me I have to have "faith"? Now isn't that the kettle calling something "black"?

Last edited: Mar 5, 2006
  16. Woody Musical Creationist Registered Senior Member

OPHI said,

In other words, no evidence?

17. Woody Musical Creationist Registered Senior Member

OPHI said,

You said you don't understand my motivation and that is because you DO NOT listen.

I've already accepted the theory of evolution as being true, and a good thing.

I search for truth and you call me "naive," "ignorant", "flawed."

I ask for scientific evidenceon the evolution of man -- and for that I am branded.

The truth of the matter is that -- this is an emotional issue for you rather than a rational one.

Can't we drop the sterotypes, emotional name calling, and other "NOISE" and get down to the business of science?

18. Woody Musical Creationist Registered Senior Member

Oaf Idiot said,

Good, go waste your time elsewhere then. You don't explain anything.

19. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Fine. Cut to the chase. You claim an understanding of evolutionary theory. You imply an knowledge of this in relation to the evolution of man. Address the following specifics:

1. If you accept evolution for all other life forms on the planet, why not for man?
    2. Identify precisely where you feel there are flaws in arguments for the evolution of man within the disciplines of
    a) genetics
    b) comparative anatomy
    c) palaeontology

Demonstrate, by appropriate response to the above, that you are not an ignoramus and I shall withdraw the remark.

20. Woody Musical Creationist Registered Senior Member

Good suggestion.

The DNA evidence says Neanderthal is not a predecessor. DNA science is young, and it's a lot better than conjuring one's imagination.

Yes I am a skeptic. I am also a Christian. But before you write me off, consider this -- I believe it is possible that some form of humanity could have evolved from a non-human ancestor. It is also possible that "Adam" could have been created to breed with them.

In some theological literature, it is said that demons bred with humanity to create giants.

I can't say I necessarily believe these things, but I don't discard them either.

21. Woody Musical Creationist Registered Senior Member

1) I have answered that with "singularity" -- man could have evolved.
    2 a) genetics -- DNA evidence shows Neanderthal is not a predecessor -- can you provide DNA evidence that correlates a predecessor.

2 b) comparitive anatomy -- yeah there are features in man that could imply "external" genetic material -- like goose bumps. the appendics, and others. Also Negros have more wisdom teeth, and more leg muscles than the rest of humanity.

2c) paleontology -- There are other hominids that made tools, built fires, etc. Perhaps they were apes that were copying man's example. Apes are quite intelligent creatures.

22. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

That is meant to be intelligible?

23. Woody Musical Creationist Registered Senior Member

I originally said:

What is the closest "relative" that precedes man?

You said:

Is that all you've got? This conversation is a waste of time, as usual. No answers - just rebuttals -- you're no help. Geez is there a scientist around here that wants to talk about facts?