Schroedinger's God

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Kibbles, Feb 28, 2006.

1. Kibbles Registered Senior Member

The natural state of the Universe is one of paradox
    God Exists and Does not Exist!

Any thoughts for or against such a statement?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Hurricane Angel I am the Metatron Registered Senior Member

Good idea. But God is not an electron, unfortunately.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Kibbles Registered Senior Member

Alright. So the idea can't apply because...?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

Define "God".

8. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

First, the proposed cat was a real cat with a superposition of probability of being alive/dead. As sarkus says, you first need to show that god exists and then determine whether he's in some probabilistic state of superposition between alive/dead or red/green, or short/tall... Exist/not exist is not a question of quantum superposition.

Right?

9. Kibbles Registered Senior Member

I suppose. I wouldn't know.

So it's definitely not applicable?

So, let me get this straight:
    You're telling me the probablistic state of superposition cannot be applied to the condition of both existing and not existing; nor to the question of whether the "eternal sum of all things" (which certainly exists) Contains-God/Does-not-Contain God?

Last edited: Mar 1, 2006
  10. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

My limited understanding is that quantum superposition only applies to differing states of existence of an object - not to existence/non-existence.

11. Mythbuster Mushroomed Registered Senior Member

The god need to create existence in order to exist and god need to act to create. So in the quantum flux way, cold tempeture was the cause.

12. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

Right. You can apply classical probability to the existence/non-existence of something based on the evidence for/against a thing. Hence the high unlikelyhood of a god.

13. Kibbles Registered Senior Member

Ok. So that idea's more or less out the window. Even I can't see any application of it.

Why can't it apply though?

14. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Sure, that makes sense. Reality is dependant on point of view. From a certain point of view, the universe can be considered a living being. From another, it isn't.

15. Kibbles Registered Senior Member

I mean, why can't something exist and not exist? I know it's an odd question but I'm asking it anyway.

16. Kibbles Registered Senior Member

That's sort of what i was thinking

17. well you know, tossing schroedinger and quantum physics aside, in a certain sense it could be possible for god to exist and not exist. imagine for a moment that conclusive proof came to light disproving the existence of a god. that would not eliminate the concept of god from people's minds, and since God the concept would have existed the whole time, despite the non-existence of God the entity, technically it would have existed and not existed at the same time. thats kind of a distortion of it, but other than that i cant see a way to make any sense out of it, especially not as it would be applied to Schroedinger or physics. just a thought, maybe not even a good one.

18. qwerty mob Deicidal Registered Senior Member

"All Gods are imaginary, mythological beings."

Meow

19. Kibbles Registered Senior Member

And you know this because...?

Meow

20. qwerty mob Deicidal Registered Senior Member

Only coherent definition.

>^.^<

21. water the sea Registered Senior Member

If you look at a spoon from a certain distance, say 10 cm to 10 m, you will see a spoon. The spoon exists.

If you hold the same spoon close to your eye, you'll see nothing. The spoon doesn't exist.

If you look at the same spoon under a microscope, you'll see only a scratched texture. The spoon doesn't exist.

If you take the spoon to the Moon, and then go back to Earth, you won't even see the spoon. The spoon doesn't exist.

So. A thing exists or doesn't exist, depending on how you look at it.

22. water the sea Registered Senior Member

Definitions are examples of valuing agenda over reality.
    Definitions are attempts to view an object as if it existed regardless of the observer and his context.

23. qwerty mob Deicidal Registered Senior Member

In other words- ?