Islam prohibits neither images of Muhammad nor jokes about religion

Discussion in 'World Events' started by Sock puppet path, Feb 11, 2006.

1. Sock puppet path GRRRRRRRRRRRR Valued Senior Member

Found an interesting article by Amir Taheri here

from the article

Question: is there a quranic injunction against images of mohammed or not? If so where? If not has muslim art and expression been limited for 1400 years for nothing?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2006
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Roman Banned Banned

It's probably similar to Byzantine Iconoclasts. I know the Iconoclastic movement came from the part in the Bible about graven images and false idols.

Besides that, art and expression are commonly curtailed (or directed) with religion for political reasons. Western art was for centuries strongly moderated by religious institutions and funded for religious purposes.

So has Western art been limited by Christianity for 1400 years?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Roman Banned Banned

And why do you hate Islam? Are you a Zionist?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Sock puppet path GRRRRRRRRRRRR Valued Senior Member

Without a doubt its' similar and orthodox christianity is still very iconoclastic

This is common knowledge roman.

8. Sock puppet path GRRRRRRRRRRRR Valued Senior Member

Yeah, that's right, you nailed me, I am a zionist.

9. Roman Banned Banned

Yeah, but so is Islam being full of crazy, homocidal bearded men. Of course art was stymied by religious fanatics, regardless of scripture! It's what they do.

10. Sock puppet path GRRRRRRRRRRRR Valued Senior Member

Right but this is the first time I have seen this. I had always assumed there was an injunction against portraying human likeness'.

11. Roman Banned Banned

As had I, and it appears that there is an injunction, but not entirely scriptually sound. More of a political and traditional thing, just like burka's aren't technically Muslim, but are supported with Muslim scripture.

12. Zephyr Humans are ONE Registered Senior Member

Not just art - because the human body was held sacred, Leonardo da Vinci had to do his anatomy research in secret. Poor guy had to do his corpse dissection in secret.

13. vincent Sir Vincent, knighted by HM Registered Senior Member

Path,
    As there is no supreme muslim leader, maybe you can lay claim to this post, and become the supreme muslim Iman, & re-educate our muslim friends on your discovery of this lost text.
    Amazing discovery i will expect to see you on your goat on CNN, explaining your findings.

Maybe since your such a indiana jones path, is it possible you can find The Ark of the Covenant too

The Ark of the Covenant (Exodus 25:10-22

The Ark was God's throne

The Ark of the Covenant resided in the Holy of Holies, the innermost room of the Tabernacle. Access was only permitted once per year, on the Day of Atonement (Yom Kippur). Access was restricted to one person only, the high priest. He had to come into the Holy of Holies with the blood of a goat, on behalf of his own and the people of Israel's sins.

The Ark itself was a small box made of acacia wood, overlaid with gold. It measured 1.15 metres long, 0.7 metres wide and 0.7 metres high. It was carried by two long bars, also made of acacia wood overlaid with gold.

But, there was a cover on the Ark, known as the Mercy Seat, or Propitiation Cover. It was here that the blood of a goat was sprinkled by the high priest on the Day of Atonement, to appease God's righteous anger (propitiate) for the sins of the people of Israel.

1. the two stone tablets of the Law
    2. Aaron's rod that budded
    3. the golden pot of 'hidden' manna.

Together these three items form the Testimony (Exodus 25:21), hence the Ark is called the Ark of the Testimony.

1. The Stone Tablets of the Law

The Ten Commandments were written on these two pieces of stone, by the finger of God on Mount Sinai (Exodus 31:18; 32:16,19; 34:1). The tablets of stone are also called the tables of testimony (Exodus 31:18), because they show us what God is like: jealous, caring, faithful and true. He is holy and righteous.

Here are the Ten Commandments (Exodus 20:1-17):

Introduction: "I am the Lord your God, who brought you up out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.
    1. You shall have no other gods before Me.
    2. You shall not make for yourselves any carved image, you shall not bow down to them nor serve them. For I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God.
    3. You shall not misuse the name of the Lord your God, for the Lord will not hold guiltless anyone who misuses His name.
    4. Remember the Sabbath to keep it holy. Six days you shall labour and do all your work, but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord your God. For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea and all that is in them, and rested on the seventh day.
    5. Honour your father and your mother, so that you may live long in the land the Lord your God is giving you.
    6. You shall not murder.
    7. You shall not commit adultery.
    8. You shall not steal.
    9. You shall not give false testimony against your neighbour.
    10. You shall not covet your neighbour's house; you shall not covet your neighbour's wife, nor anything that belongs to your heighbour.

The Ten Commandments on the two stone tablets are the basis for God's covenant with the children of Israel (Exodus 19:5-7). They stipulate what the righteous requirements of the law are, but there is no supply to help the children of Israel to obey the commandments.