Most powerful empire in history?

Discussion in 'History' started by mountainhare, Dec 5, 2005.

1. mountainhare Banned Banned

A question which has always bugged me is what empire in history has been the most powerful for its time?

Many seem to think that the Roman Empire was by far the most powerful and extensive, but I've always felt that the Ottoman Empire was by far the most powerful and expansive.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. ArtofWar Registered Senior Member

I will have to argue with you tommorow sometime inbetween classes, so i'll make this short. the Mongols made quick work of the Turks, and the ottomans actually saw it coming, which was an ultra rare strategy employed by Genghis and company ... They (ottomans) were greedy and believed to be untouchable, as did most of the Kings and Sultans of the middle/nearEast of that time which led to their down fall. In fact some still do (Saudis)

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Last edited: Dec 5, 2005
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. mountainhare Banned Banned

From my understanding, the Mongols laid the smackdown on the Serjuk Turks, not the Ottomans? And the Mongols only occupied Turkey for one generation. That's the problem with nomads trying to build a empire. They don't settle down to watch their flock.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. ArtofWar Registered Senior Member

read this its the only thing i could find that is accurate and a synopsis
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Ankara

Wikipedia doesn't go into great detail, but the reason the Mongols did not stay and conquer the ottomans is because they sought after victory and trade routes from eastern europe to Far east china. the problem with that is that during the time of Genghis Mongolia had a populace of fewer or just over 100,000 , and during the "Ankara" war fought by Kahn's descendents Mongolia was still relatively small, although made up for it with Valour

truth be told i have heard some say that the roman Army at one time consisted of over 100,000 soldiers when you calculate all the garrisons and enlisted men by treaty of conquered nations

8. mountainhare Banned Banned

Yeah, I knew about the battle between Bayezid and Timur. From my understand, Timur was the ruler of the Tartars, which ruled Turkish Islamic Empire neighbouring that of the Ottomans. Am I correct?

From my understanding, Turk and Mongols are ethnically very similiar.

9. ArtofWar Registered Senior Member

"tartars" were mongolians, before Genghis ethnic cleansed then from the earth

*edit*

ok i did a quick search (bacause i wasn't sure) that says that "tartars" still live in regions of russia. Although it doesn't change my statement above, the Tartars were in constant battle with other tribes until Genghis Khan united them all, but he decimated the tartars.

10. Hapsburg Hellenistic polytheist Valued Senior Member

Rome.
    I've always had a penchant for the Austrian Empire...not just because of the Habsburgs, but also the sense of dominance they had in central europe from 1815-1866. The grandeur and majesty on which the Austrian Empire acted was simply awe-inspiring, though not as great as Rome's, but still pretty fuckin' cool.

11. nirakar ( i ^ i ) Registered Senior Member

It's the USA in 1991. After Ukraine independece from Russia and the defeat of Saddam in Kuwait.

While the US manufacturing base had aready dwindled this time was peak of global influence for any one man (George Bush seoir president) in the history of the world.

Rome had no influence beyond a third of the world. Bush through political alliances and the threat of the mighty US military, and foreign aid, and control of the World Bank, IMF, UN, CFR, and alliances with hundreds of politically active multinational corporations, had semi control over most of the worlds politics.

The USA alone may have had more people than the entire world in Roman times. Most modern people with modern technology are more powerfull than the people of Roman time and therefore control of modern people means more power.

Rome could not defeat Persia and could not afford to subdue the german tribes. In 1991 the USA had more influence in Russia than Rome had in Persia. For both Rome and the USA, a great Chinese empire existed outside their sphere of influence.

12. Roman Banned Banned

The Mongols occupied the most territory at any one time, and took over, what, three previous empires? And a whole crapload of civilizations. They weren't just occupying empty land. Would have had Europe, too, had Khan not died. Nothing prevented them from marching through Europe. Man, history would have been so different if they had moved through Europe. Yikes.

13. Brian Foley REFUSE - RESIST Valued Senior Member

It has always been the Roman Empire that was the most powerful , their empire controlled 2/3s of Europe , North Africa and the mideast . It was the first Empire built on global finance and banking with a sophisticated trade network it was unrivalled for power and influence . Roman trade reached as far as Vietnam ,Roman coins have been found in China , the Roman empire had an emissary in Sri Lanka .

The Mongol empire consisted of vast empty spaces , the Ottoman empire contained the shell of the former affluent Levant that the crusaders looted out .

14. Clockwood You Forgot Poland Registered Senior Member

China is considered empty space?

15. heavymetal Banned Banned

1/5 of Europe,2/3 of Russia,1/2 of india,the middle east,1/2 of south east Asia, all of China and Mongolia - only controlling half of the population of the world .....
    Weaklings ........

Coke and Pepsi can do better than that ......

16. Hapsburg Hellenistic polytheist Valued Senior Member

Most powerful Empires....not "most powerful nations".
    Does the united states have an officially titled "Emperor"? No. Thus, it is not an "Empire".

17. ArtofWar Registered Senior Member

True, the US is a Dynasty not an Empire. That being said you will find alot of people who disagree, and they are usually in the far east (China, Japan

)

18. Roman Banned Banned

wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empire

19. heavymetal Banned Banned

Well, since nobody has done it better , than the mongol Khans , then they take the prize !!!

Their mentality is well described in this example , from a book about Djenghis Khan:
    one of the mongol warleaders talks philosophy: "True happiness and joy is : going into battle, killing all your enemies, executing the men while their families weep, raping the women and taking possesion of their treasures, driving their horses and the slaves in front of you - that is true happiness !! "

20. ArtofWar Registered Senior Member

Timur-i-Leng took off around 400 years after Khan died and spread the mongol empire farther than even genghis himself could accomplish. i know the history channel had a special a few months ago that said his main goal was to conquer eastern china or china-minor as genghis had intended before he mysteriously fell ill. when Timur began his voyage to Central China he mysteriously died as well, although believe he fell off of a horse.

For the guy who started this thread!

Mongol Invasion

21. heavymetal Banned Banned

And Hapsburg - in 1241 the mongols captured both Poland and Hungary - stretching their border to your beloved Austria !!

22. ArtofWar Registered Senior Member

Have you seen "Conan: The Barbarian" ? the director talks about taking Conan/Arnolds quote from something Genghis said and changing it abit.

Conan the Barbarian movie quotes:

• Mongol General: "What is best in life?"

Conan: "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."

23. heavymetal Banned Banned

Hi Artofwar- no I didn´t notice - I think I´ve got a video with Conan - I will look at it when I´ve got the time .......

Bloody aggressive militants - stil it is the only way to build an empire .....
    I am glad I didn´t live in that time .......