dodging bullets

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Sir. Brilliance, Dec 3, 2005.

1. Sir. Brilliance Registered Senior Member

I know that no human can accualy see the bullet moving troguh the air and move out of the way, but of course you can see your opponent moving the gun at you and get out of the line of fire before he or she can shoot. Now this is very nice and all, but unless by some amazing random probability there is a massive amour-plated wall right beside you or your opponent has a huge case of ADD your opponent can shoot you again while your throwing your self to the side because your in the air longer the the recoil is or whatever, but in short you will be dead anyway. But at a certain point when your opponent is squezing the trigger he can't really change his or her mind but you can still move. Now let us say the time between when your opponent can't really change the path of the bullet and when the bullet accully leaves the barrel is caled "x". Nowit is possible if your opponent is inexperienced or if you have insanely amazing reflexes that the time period of "x" is long enough for you to "dodge" the bullet and continously preform this untill your opponent gives up or you charge him or her while he or she is reloading. Do you agree with this? By the way im not talkng about fully automatics. Please elaborate.

Thank you.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

they modeled the movie matrix after seeing me training, you said no human can see the bullet in the air then move out of the way, well i can,

but im not human, i am shaolin,

its called shaolin iron bulletproof chest, it is an ancient method from 10 thousand years ago, when they used wooden guns, with chi ball bullets etc,

peace,

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

It would be interesting to figure out how fast a person would need to move in order to dodge a bullet. In a scenario where the shooter's aim was correct, I'm thinking the issues to consider would involve the follwing factors:
    1. speed at which the bullet moves
    2. reaction time of the target (ability to be aware of the incoming bullet, and react).
    3. distance from the target
    4. Speed at which the target is able to move themselves/the specific body part from the path of the bullet.
    5. whether the target was already in motion when the gun was fired, and which way they would need go to change direction.

Ok, so according to google, a normal bullet from a hunting rifle moves at ~2700 feet per second. I think this means that anyone at a range under 2700 feet has less than a second to meet the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and potentially 5th conditions right?
    That thing is moving half a mile every second. From the first glance I dunno.... in normal "non matrix" reality doesn't really look too promising.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2005
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Light Registered Senior Member

Yes. Plus the fact that most people would be shooting from distances MUCH less than a half-mile away - say 20 or 30 yards - means you would have only a tiny fraction of a second to see, react, and move out of the way. And even ignoring the reaction time (which is a full 3/4 of a second under best conditions), no human can possibly move that fast.

In short, Chi's claim is... ahhh... ridiculous.

8. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

Not only that, but at the ranges where you could potentially dodge the bullet, the bullet would reach your location before the sound from the gun being fired (bullet moves faster than the speed of sound). Seeing as how there is absultely no way to actually visually observe the bullet flying towards you in midflight, sound is the only thing you could possibly use to gain any awareness that it's coming towards you.

9. Light Registered Senior Member

Well, there's still the muzzle flash IF you happen to be looking directly at it. But again, what can any human do with only a fraction of a second warning? The best anyone could hope to do anticipate and guess which way to jump. But keep in mind that the shooter is doing that too and he can change his aiming point MUCH faster than you can change direction!

Once you've began to move, you're committed to inertia and can't change directions instantly.

So the whole idea is nothing more than science fiction and Hollywood's version of reality.

10. Roman Banned Banned

I've always wondered if moving that fast would cause friction burns.

11. Light Registered Senior Member

HA!

Yeah, the wind resistance would burn your clothes (and skin) right off you!

12. CANGAS Registered Senior Member

Many times, while shooting many guns, I have seen the bullet as it flew through the air. The first time was when I was about 10 and Daddy was teaching me to shoot a 22 short rifle. The last time, by pure coincidence, was a time that I fired my 44 cap and ball revolver. While I have not had the pleasure ( ? ) of watching a bullet as it came closer rather than receding, I know from my personal experience that bullets can be seen.

While I believe that I have reflexes and eyesight above average, there are definitely many who are far superior to me. Babe Ruth once proved to a reporter that he could read a license plate number so far away that the reporter could not even tell what color it was.

I have no doubt that a gunshot just far enough away could be seen and evaded.

However, if I ever catch a burgler in my house ( not a very big one ), that crook better not depend on being a sufficiently artful dodger. Nobody can move THAT fast.

13. Roman Banned Banned

I'm inclined towards utter disbelief.

14. CANGAS Registered Senior Member

Perhaps you are too much of a natural born wimp to have very much real physical ability.

A person who is born blind will utterly never, ever be inclined to believe what a color is.

15. Roman Banned Banned

Did "daddy" teach you how to be big and strong and shoot guns? I'm so impressed. Are those forearms from lifting hay bales or jacking men off in bathroom stalls?

16. CANGAS Registered Senior Member

Romgirl:

Lifting hay bales, throwing them, and catching them on my uncle's farm and other such real work is how I got large arms. What would a wimp like you know about that?

You are the only one who knows anything about anything else in toilet stalls.

You obviously have many reason to be impressed by anyone you come into contact with.

Thank you for the recognition. And thank you for something else. Before seeing your crap, I did not understand something. I did not know how querilous some people are.
    You are really querying me. Tell us, how did you get to be so obsessed with querying?

And, even if one moron refuses to utterly believe it, I have, on numerous occaisions, seen bullets in their flight out of my gun when I have fired them.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2005
  17. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

LOL @ "the pleasure of watching incoming bullets"
    I'm thinkin there is a definate difference between low grain/giant BB guns, and the kind of stuff the potential opponent would use to shoot a person with.

Also-- in order to see the shooter's muzzle flash from bullet dodging range (somewhere way over 2700 feet away) it would need to be night time right? Unless they fired a tracer round, how is it possible to see an incoming bullet at night?

18. phlogistician Banned Banned

You know, if anybody else made this post, I'd think it was tongue in cheek, but having seen what horrendous BS emptyForceofChi spouts elsewhere, this retard probably thinks they can do this.

This kid is full of shit, not Chi!

19. glaucon tending tangentially Registered Senior Member

LOL
    I'd say both are.

20. phlogistician Banned Banned

Do you think, just maybe, that this has something to do with your gun sights looking along the line of trajectory of the bullet, kinda?

I mean, that's what sights do! Your eye is already lined up to look at the back of a bullet, and as it moves in a parabola, what you see is it slowly drop in your field of view, and you don't notice how fast it's moving away, it's a small dot that gets smaller real fast.

It's nothing to do with your reactions, just that your eye is lined up dead on to see the back of the bullet. It's easy for slow rounds, .22 rimfire, or light loads.

But if that round were coming from any other angle, there's no chance it could be evaded. Zero, and anyone who thinks they can, I pose a challenge. I'll bet you £100 (I'm in England, so I'm challenging you, EmptyForceofBullshit) you can't dodge a bullet. I'll video it, and link the results on Sciforums. You must agree to not attempt litigation, or call the cops once you've been plugged though, OK? BTW, you'll get shot with a pellet gun at just 400fps, because that's all I have access to.

21. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

do you people have some kind of humour or sarcasm detection defect?,

not to be rude but from reading my first post on this thread no1 here could tell i was joking?, are you guys serious.

peace.....

22. MJ12 Commando The Last Cyborg Spamurai Registered Senior Member

Bah! I'm so manly I can slap the bullets out of the way with my massive cock.

Seriously, no.

I suppose if one had instant (not faster than sound, not faster than light, instant) reflexes and balls of steel, you could dodge grazing shots at shorter distances and basically dance through light gunfire at long distances, but beyond that, you need either PhysicsHack.exe or uber ability.

And if you're tough enough to move like an Agent, you probably shouldn't be concerned with most gunfire. It's the rocket launchers you need to watch out for.

23. phlogistician Banned Banned

I said "if anybody else made this post, I'd think it was tongue in cheek",..

...but not from you, because you are a braggard.

Maybe you don't realise that the way you portray yourself comes across as self aggrandising and juvenile? You write in a rather juvenile style as well. I can only assume that English is not your first language, to excuse this.